PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu - NW Dallas?

caleqs
20th May 2002, 21:02
I'm sorry. I hate these kinds of posts, but I'm desperate. I've scoured the 'net and the search functions here and I've not been able to find what I'm looking for.

I live in the NW Dallas suburb of Flower Mound and I'm looking for a martial arts school really close. My job and my family keep me very busy and I simply do not have time to drive all over Dallas to practice martial arts.

I am looking for a school that teaches any form of jujutsu/aikijujutsu/aikijitsu/vee jutsu, etc. Anything other than Brazilian for now. I just can't find one. Actually, it doesn't even have to be a school. It could be an instructor teaching out of their garage. I don't care. I just want a qualified instructor and a nice group of folks to work out with.

Can anyone help me here?

Thank you so much.

Henrik Jonsson
20th May 2002, 21:33
Originally posted by caleqs
I am looking for a school that teaches any form of jujutsu/aikijujutsu/aikijitsu/vee jutsu, etc. Anything other than Brazilian for now. I just can't find one. Actually, it doesn't even have to be a school. It could be an instructor teaching out of their garage. I don't care. I just want a qualified instructor and a nice group of folks to work out with.

Hi! Since you ask for "anything but Brazilian", I'll throw
this in:

I don't know how far "all over Dallas" means, but I started
my MA experience in "Ji Mu Do", http://www.jimudo.com, a mixed
martial art. Mark Ambrosio is a real nice guy in my book. It's
on Belt Line/Preston Road in Addison. (I know it's a drive
and a half from Flower Mound, but..well, _everything_ is far
from Flower Mound. ;-) Just kidding.

Another place, which is notorius on E-Budo, I suppose :-)
is Ralph Severe's Art of Combat, http://www.artofcombat.com.
He posts here under the name of Kamiyama, and makes some
enemies here and there, but I think a lot of people agree
that his taijutsu is good. It's located a little more
in your direction, I believe Webb Chapel/Belt Line is about
right. I've never been there, but I think I've seen the
sign from Webb Chapel ( north of the Ob Gyn my wife went
to when we were expecting :-)

If you're looking for anything west of the I-35, I'm afraid
I can't help you. I lived in Addison for 30 months, before
I moved back to Sweden so my sphere of interest is different
from yours, I suppose. The ones I've listed are the two
most west-ward places I know.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember seeing some
McDojo-type of sign on the west side of I-35, just
south of 635, but... I can't give you any specifics there.

Anyway, take this for what it is: Vague tips from a guy
not even living in the area anymore. :-)

Good luck!

Warren Wright
20th May 2002, 21:44
Hi Caleqs,

That aside, I trained throughout college with a Jujutsu/Kenjutsu group based in dallas: http://www.dallasbudokai.com/

I've recently begun training with them again, after really feeling some Jujutsu withdrawal after a few years in the working world, and am enjoying it quite a lot.

I train with Ken Pruit. He teaches (and has for 10 or 15 years I guess) at the recreation center in Farmer's Branch (just northwest of Dallas).

His email address is: kandjpruitt@aol.com

He is extremely nice, and teaches because he enjoys it (the fees collected go to the rec center directly, not to him). He is also an excellent martial artist, sans the ego.

As to the budokai itself, I'd describe the arts taught within it as entirely gendai (new). The flavor is from traditional Japanese jujutsu/kenjutsu systems, and the techniques are quite refined, but I haven't seen any direct connection to older systems if that is important to you in your search.

Good luck, and let me know what you find and settle on in the area (since I live here too!).

Regards,
Warren Wright

edit: Removed my reminder for Caleqs to inclue his full name in his post...since I noticed it WAS included as soon as I finished my post :-)

caleqs
20th May 2002, 22:19
Thanks Henrik and Warren. I'm actually looking for something west of I-35E and north of 635/the airpport. Beltline and Preston is too far for me.

I have seen the links you've both mentioned and I will likely check them out as they appear to be the closest places that teach what I'm looking for.

I've had some exposure to Ninjitsu and thought it was interesting. I spent an hour or so at a seminar at the new school that went up in Tampa. I forget what its called, but I got to work out with Mr. Hayes, which was amazingly cool. It was a huge turn-out, but I was the only attendee from another school and the only one wearing a hakama, so I think I got his attention and he helped me with some techniques 3 different times. It was really great to have the opportunity to be instructed by someone so accomplished and to get his attention 3 different times in an hour with a room full of 40 other students. I think the only other time I had that was when Soke Papasan (sp?) visited our dojo in Tampa.

Ack, anyway, didn't mean to get into all that. My point was that I liked what they were doing technique-wise, but the school was waaaay commercial. I prefer the older school mentality without contracts, etc. So I'm very much turned off by the "businees" side of some schools.

But I'll check out AOC and the Budokai group.

Thanks again!!

Don Cunningham
21st May 2002, 01:24
You should contact Toby Threadgill who posts here frequently. There's also a good jujutsu school somewhere in Plano, which is pretty close to Flower Mound. I would avoid Lovret's school of aiki-jutsu, though, unless you don't care about learning authentic styles. The former Tamura Judo Academy is operating somewhere in North Dallas. James Webb sends out regular e-mail reports, so you might try locating them if you want to learn competitive style.

will
21st May 2002, 05:15
<br><p>Dallas Judo & Jiu-jitsu is on Marsh and NW Highway and offers Heike-ryu Jiu-jitsu (Mr. Tamura's family style). You can find schedule and other info at www.dallasjudo.com (http://www.dallasjudo.com).</p>
<p>There used to be a website at www.heikeryu.com but the address seems to be dead now. I'll ask somebody next time I'm down there (unless someone chimes in here).</p>

Henrik Jonsson
21st May 2002, 07:38
Originally posted by Don Cunningham
There's also a good jujutsu school somewhere in Plano, which is pretty close to Flower Mound.

So, for once, I supplied better information than Don Cunningham. I rule :-)

Plano is even farther from Flower Mound than Addison, Don, every
fool knows that. :-)

Sorry...Couldn't resist. ;-)

To add more info, check

http://www.masterssite.com/WorldMasters.htm

where Richard T. Ramp, Rodan in Aikido, seemingly
teaching out of Irving, Tx, which ought to be real close
to Flower Mound. (But, maybe he shouldn't list his middle
initial :-)

There's also Joe Turner, teaching in Flower Mound at
http://www.tmas.info/

If you look at http://www.usadojo.com/schoolstexas.htm
you'll find five schools in Irving, but it's seemingly a
karate/TKD style listing, if I read things right.

And, on http://www.angelfire.com/ma/imaf/schools.html
you can find Ryukyu Martial Arts, (Gojo Ryu, white crane,
Kobu-jutsu, Shorin-Ryu) in Irving, Texas. No address
supplied though, just an Email address.

Or, try Google.com with "jutsu Irving Tx"

Anyway, hope you find something you like!

/Henrik

caleqs
21st May 2002, 12:23
You should contact Toby Threadgill who posts here frequently. There's also a good jujutsu school somewhere in Plano, which is pretty close to Flower Mound. I would avoid Lovret's school of aiki-jutsu, though, unless you don't care about learning authentic styles. The former Tamura Judo Academy is operating somewhere in North Dallas. James Webb sends out regular e-mail reports, so you might try locating them if you want to learn competitive style.

Thank you. I sent Mr. Threadgill an email yesterday as I couldn't find an address for his dojo. I'm waiting to hear from him.

I know I came across Mr. Webb's name, but I don't remember what came of that. Whether it was more Judo than Jujutsu or whether the school was too far away.

caleqs
21st May 2002, 12:26
Originally posted by will
<br><p>Dallas Judo & Jiu-jitsu is on Marsh and NW Highway and offers Heike-ryu Jiu-jitsu (Mr. Tamura's family style). You can find schedule and other info at www.dallasjudo.com (http://www.dallasjudo.com).</p>

Thank you. I had found this as well. Its close to my office, but its too far south.

Unfortunately, the only way I'm going to be able to take up my training again is to find someplace that is almost in my back yard. Between work and family, I have so little time. I will barely be able to spare a couple hours a week to train, I won't be able to spend 30-45 more minutes driving home afterwards. =(

caleqs
21st May 2002, 12:33
Thanks Henrik. I've been to most of those links. Any of the Jujutsu places are too far away and the others are American Karate or TKD.

I should probably also reconsider what style. I suppose any martial art taught by a qualified instructor would be worthwhile. Its just that after studying jujutsu, I don't think I could go back to traditional karate. "Okay, stand in a line and everyone, PUNCH one, PUNCH two, PUNCH three..." I'd go insane.

will
22nd May 2002, 05:35
Thank you. I had found this as well {Dallas Judo}. Its close to my office, but its too far south.

Unfortunately, the only way I'm going to be able to take up my training again is to find someplace that is almost in my back yard. Between work and family, I have so little time. I will barely be able to spare a couple hours a week to train, I won't be able to spend 30-45 more minutes driving home afterwards. =(

I believe the dojo is open mat during the lunch/afternoon hours for folks that want a break from work. I have no idea who or how many show up or what they do, but you might want to check that angle.

I understand the problems with 30-45+ minute commutes for training. Sometimes we just have to make do.

Jabonn
22nd May 2002, 16:01
I used to work out during the Lunch Hour Workouts at Tamura's (Dallas Judo and Jujitsu). On average you will have 10-12 Black Belts working out for an hour or two. I was one of three colored belt students that work out during those times. Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30 - 2:00. Mostly it is a Judo workout. Jujitsu is evenings.

I know you said no BJJ, but if you become desperate, there are a couple of schools close to Flower Mound. Lewisville, Coppell, and Southlake.

Jabonn Flurry

caleqs
22nd May 2002, 16:59
Originally posted by Jabonn
I used to work out during the Lunch Hour Workouts at Tamura's (Dallas Judo and Jujitsu). On average you will have 10-12 Black Belts working out for an hour or two. I was one of three colored belt students that work out during those times. Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30 - 2:00. Mostly it is a Judo workout. Jujitsu is evenings.

I know you said no BJJ, but if you become desperate, there are a couple of schools close to Flower Mound. Lewisville, Coppell, and Southlake.

Jabonn Flurry

Where are you working out now? Any place in Dallas?

Yeah, I know some of the BJJ places and I'd actually like to learn some of their techniques some day. I'm just not sure I'm ready for it now. I'd like to be more proficient in my aiki* before adding to my war chest in BJJ.

Jabonn
22nd May 2002, 19:00
Mr. Jackson,

Uechi-ryu Okinawan Karate in Denton
Denton Dojo (http://www.dentondojo.com)

Okuri Judo Club in Hurst
Okuri Judo (http://www.okurijudo.com)

When I am back on the Dallas side of town, I stop in and work out at Dallas Judo. Please stop by and check any of the dojos out.

Jabonn Flurry

caleqs
24th May 2002, 12:45

Don, can you please explain a little more about you comment on Lovret's school? What do you mean by authentic? My first impression was that this was a negative comment, but then I thought maybe it wasn't. My JJ background is actually in vee-jutsu, which might be considered non-authentic from the perspective that its not a Japanese tradition.

Feel free to email me at jeff@lazyjnet.com if you'd prefer to discuss this in a private forum.

Thanks.

Brently Keen
24th May 2002, 20:19
Unlike Vee-Jutsu a modern system, which makes no pretensions about being a classical or traditional Japanese style of jujutsu (that I'm aware of) - Lovret's group(s) are quite misleading and perhaps even fraudulent in their claims. Likewise from a technical standpoint what they do has little to do with authentic aikijujutsu, much less classical kenjutsu. Finally, from a social/ettiquette standpoint they exhibit a tendency towards cultlike behavior. You would do well to heed Don's advice regarding this group.

If you are interested in "aiki" then send me a private email, and I'll see if I can't put you in touch with some authentic Daito-ryu practitioners in TX. I'm not sure where they are located in relation to you, but perhaps you'll find them helpful. Otherwise, I recommend Toby or any of his affiliates.

Brently Keen

caleqs
24th May 2002, 21:22
Are you refering to Fredrick J. Lovret? Is this the same group as the budokai group (Pruitt?) mentioned in earlier posts? I'm confused.

Don Cunningham
24th May 2002, 21:29
Don, can you please explain a little more about you comment on Lovret's school? What do you mean by authentic? My first impression was that this was a negative comment, but then I thought maybe it wasn't. My JJ background is actually in vee-jutsu, which might be considered non-authentic from the perspective that its not a Japanese tradition.
While I may have my own personal thoughts about Frederick Lovret, I didn't mean this as a negative statement. Some of the practitioners of his style are quite dedicated, although a few lean way past the wacko line in my opinion. (There are a couple here in the Chicago area that set the gold standard for the weirdness index.) I only meant that it is not an authentic Japanese school despite their many claims. Any Japanese martial arts linage is rather dubious where Lovret is concerned. I only meant that you might prefer to consider the variety of authentic koryu and gendai styles readily available in the Dallas suburbs first. Regarding gendai styles and other arts, I think any that are open and honest about their background should be considered valid.

As for the particular group mentioned, I think someone offering shodo courses and ranking by mail has a bizarre and unusual interpretation of Japanese culture and art.

PHILBERT
15th June 2002, 06:11
For a man who has lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for close to 19 years, I dont know my way around worth crap. Born and raised. Anyway, I know Tarrant County College on some campus' have a JuJutsu class every 3 months for like $100 or something. Don't know any more. Check out local colleges too, ya might find something. I knew a girl who took Shaolin from her college.

Also just pick up a Dallas and Fort Worth phone book. I found several schools of JuJutsu, Judo and Aikido just flipping through it one day when I was finding schools for my best friend to try to learn at.

stoker
19th June 2002, 14:51
Originally posted by PHILBERT
For a man who has lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for close to 19 years, I dont know my way around worth crap. Born and raised. Anyway, I know Tarrant County College on some campus' have a JuJutsu class every 3 months for like $100 or something. Don't know any more. Check out local colleges too, ya might find something. I knew a girl who took Shaolin from her college.

Also check out your local Park & Recreation Department with your city. Southlake and Euless both have Jiu Jitsu programs that are very good and inexpensive.

caleqs
4th July 2002, 11:34
Just wanted to stop back in to wrap up this thread and say that I've started training in ninjutsu with Ralph Severe. Only been to a few classes, but the techniques are *great*. I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation on that one Henrik. Its a little out of the way still, but the training is exactly what I like.

Thanks again all for your help.