PDA

View Full Version : Sociopaths...

joe yang
20th May 2002, 21:35
Some of you guys are way more articulate and scholarly than I. Do us a favor. How about a quick synopsis of the sociopath? I ask, because some good members of this forum have some real questions? They wonder how people they respect can be roped in by people many of us hold in low esteem.

I read the handouts at work. I work blocks. I know some of my favorite inmates are sociopaths. I see the dynamics. Can someone explain it to the layman? Explain it so the understand how good people can get roped in. Heck, that's what sociopaths do, tie up good people.

Joseph Svinth
20th May 2002, 22:15
Does this article get you headed in the right direction? http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/pblct/forum/e012/e012l.shtml

From the introduction:

"While terms such as antisocial personality, sociopath, and psychopath have been used interchangeably, the term 'psychopath' now refers to a more stringent diagnosis. Psychopathy describes individuals who display impulsiveness, callousness, insincerity, pathological lying and deception, egocentricity, poor judgement, an impersonal sex life, and an unstable life plan."

The technical term is "antisocial personality disorder." See American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association. For some discussion in lay terms, to include treatment options, see http://mentalhelp.net/poc/center_index.php?id=8 .

Note that while many of the people in prison exhibit sociopathic tendencies, similar traits are often exhibited by business and political leaders. My guess? Sociopaths enjoy manipulation and domination, and the brighter ones simply find socially acceptable ways of accomplishing this.

joe yang
20th May 2002, 22:33
Mr. Svinth,

I knew I could count on you to start us off. As a layman, I think of sociopaths as well adjusted psychopaths!:D

Tetsutaka
20th May 2002, 23:43
Spankings for everyone!

Nothing personal, I assure you... ;)

Cady Goldfield
21st May 2002, 16:06
In simplest terms, I'd describe a sociopath as someone who has no social conscience (hence, the term "socio-path" -- "socially-diseased"). That's why a sociopath is able to enjoy the domination and manipulation mentioned earlier.

Sociopaths may seem "normal" in every way. They are often charming and on the surface seem to lead normal lives. But... they are unable to have true relationships or emotional bonds with others. Other human beings are just players on the sociopaths life stage, to be used or removed as need be to reach his personal goals.

In some cases a sociopath might even employ murder as a means to an end, without feeling the slightest remorse -- murder is no different than, say, investing in a peanut farm, if that's what is going to get you where you want to be. Hitmen often are sociopaths.

A landmark case here in Boston was that of Charles Stuart, a sociopath who set up an elaborate scheme to murder his preganant wife and make it look like it was done by a local criminal. When his fraud was discovered, he committed suicide.

joe yang
21st May 2002, 18:19
Sociopaths can be very charming all the while they manipulate. Not all sociopaths are hardened criminals. Some function very well insociety, they can be succesful, use people and stay respectable. Most cult leaders are probably sociopaths. Good people can get roped in and exploited.

Chinjab
21st May 2002, 19:27
Most "pathologies" are a question of degree - many people exhibit tendencies in certain situations that could be called sociopathic - its just not their dominant MO, and usually not blatantly destructive.

Sociopaths are experts at faking it and slipping through the cracks avoiding exposure. A certain amount of sociopathic skills are neccessary to be successful in business - or in dealing with a wide variety of people that you may not personally like in order to serve an agenda - its the nature of the agenda that makes it light or dark.

One of the best books I've ever read on the subject (despite its religious slant) is PEOPLE OF THE LIE by M. Scott Peck.

My recent ex had a master's degree in psychology from Duke(she was always accusing me of APD!) She said "sociopaths are psychopaths who know how to win friends and influence people."

They are instinctive in manipulating other's fear, sympathy, sexuality, anger, vanity, or other vulnerabilities in order to acheive their ends. Psychopaths tend to have more short-term goals, like avoiding arrest. Sociopaths have more long-term goals, like killing their wife and framing someone else to get insurance money, long-term embezzlement, etc.

Same beast - different levels of sophistication.

Happy thought for the day,
James Sass

47th ronin
22nd May 2002, 03:33
Welcome aboard James, glad to have you here. If it is not too forward of me, I must admit to liking your avatar;) .

Usagi
22nd May 2002, 07:17
Lack of empathy.

In my knowledge, sociopaths can't feel simpathy for others.

They see the other either as a toy or an inconvinience.

Chinjab
25th May 2002, 16:52
Cris - domo arigato :D

I registered so I could exploit the search function, then I got lured into posting by sociopaths.

joe yang
25th May 2002, 20:07
You got lured in by psychopaths functioning as sociopaths.:D