PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Rob Alvelais
22nd May 2002, 17:39
I know, it's about an article of clothing, but my question is specifically for the traditional karate types in freesparring.

Have any of you used these martial arts shoes that are out there? Are any of them any good? I tried some a bunch of years ago, and found them inadequate, because my feet would slide about inside the shoe. I haven't tried any since. Have they improved?

Anyone have any luck with these and can you recommend a brand/style of shoe?

Rob

TomMarker
22nd May 2002, 19:00
I like a brand called Feivue. They're a Chinese shoe that you'll see mostly wushu folk wear. I think you can get them from http://www.wle.com/

Goju Man
23rd May 2002, 03:09
Hi Rob, I've never used any of those but have used a wrestling shoe that can be baught at a Sports Authority. I've never seen shoes at a tournament though. Are they allowed now?

Marino Reysol
23rd May 2002, 05:40
I have seen 2 types of shoes.
1 is used by the Nippon Kempo people and it looks like a tennis shoe.
Another I saw in Korea that is used by the Tae Kwan Do people. It looks like the wushu slipper type shoe.
I have never used one and don't know how they work.

Rob Alvelais
23rd May 2002, 06:04
Originally posted by Goju Man
Hi Rob, I've never used any of those but have used a wrestling shoe that can be baught at a Sports Authority. I've never seen shoes at a tournament though. Are they allowed now?

Hi Manny,

No, they're not allowed. The short story is, I'm teaching in a facility that has a terrible floor. I'm kind of stuck there. Some of my students have picked up staples in their feet, even with shoji before practice. So, until I can get onto a different floor, I'm contemplating shoes. I've thought about the wrestling shoe, (I'm an ex-mat rat, myself) but, I've been somewhat leery of the shoe laces whipping about. Easily fixed, though.

Say Manny, did you ever compete in the USAKF?

Thank you, Tom and Marino for your suggestions.
Rob

Harry Cook
23rd May 2002, 14:59
The best kind of footwear I have used when training on a rough surface are the roadwork shoes/boots used by boxers. They have a light but tough sole and the laces etc can usually be tucked away behind a velcro cover. I do most of my running on rough ground near the Roman Wall in the north of England, and the boxing boots have outlasted any type of running shoe. If you decide to use some kind of light sport shoe then simply tape the laces flat and that should stop them flapping around.
Yours,
Harry Cook

Margaret Lo
23rd May 2002, 16:44
Ringside.com has good boxing gear including shoes as low as $35.00 per pair.

Goju Man
23rd May 2002, 22:07
Hey Rob, I competed in open tournaments. I have a freind of mine who trains two students and run the USAKF circuit though. You were a mat rat? College wrestling? I used the wrestlers shoe when we used to kickbox in a rough cemented area and those worked real well for me. Harry Cook also had a good idea. I never tried them myself but heard they were pretty good. Do you ever compete down in FLA.??

Rob Alvelais
23rd May 2002, 22:39
Hey Rob, I competed in open tournaments. I have a freind of mine who trains two students and run the USAKF circuit though. You were a mat rat? College wrestling? I used the wrestlers shoe when we used to kickbox in a rough cemented area and those worked real well for me. Harry Cook also had a good idea. I never tried them myself but heard they were pretty good. Do you ever compete down in FLA.??

Sadly, I went to a college that ended it's wrestling program immediately prior to my arrival. :-(

I've got a couple of friends from the USAKF that live in Fla. Koji Sugimoto (Antonio's sensei), Bill Hall and Roy Bedard. Good times visiting with those guys!!

Last time I was in Florida was for the AAU Nationals. I was Reffing. Prior to that, was the USAKF Nationals in Jacksonville.

Just thought that perhaps we met in Akron, with Roy.

I'm really leaning towards the wrestling shoe and a roll of "coaches tape".

Rob

Goju Man
23rd May 2002, 23:32
Sugimoto, Saito, Carlos Quintero, Robert Young, all those guys are either having tournaments or have people competing in them. My freinds name is Sensei Fundora. He has a very gifted student that usually does well. What I like about the wrestling shoe is the cost and they're readily available.

Rob Alvelais
24th May 2002, 03:52
Sugimoto, Saito, Carlos Quintero, Robert Young, all those guys are either having tournaments or have people competing in them. My freinds name is Sensei Fundora. He has a very gifted student that usually does well. What I like about the wrestling shoe is the cost and they're readily available.

Carlos, is quite a talented fighter. I rather enjoyed watching him compete.

Rob

TomMarker
24th May 2002, 18:52
Rob,

here is the link to the Feivue's I was talking about:
http://www.wle.com//products/u060.html

I would also second wrestling shoes. I'm a fan of asics myself.

Rob Alvelais
24th May 2002, 20:37
Ked's! Those look like Ked's!:-)

Thanks Tom. Yes, Asics are/were my favorite wrestling shoe.

Rob

Originally posted by TomMarker
Rob,

here is the link to the Feivue's I was talking about:
http://www.wle.com//products/u060.html

I would also second wrestling shoes. I'm a fan of asics myself.

TomMarker
24th May 2002, 22:00
Yea, but when you kick someone in the head, it leaves an imprint of backwards chinese characters instead :)

Actually, the soles are soft, non-marking, and are somewhat rounded in a way I cannot properly describe. I picked them up when I was doing Tai Chi, and they seem to work pretty well when doing "harder" stuff as well.

Awaiting my endorsement fee from Feivue, I remain.
Tom

Originally posted by Rob Alvelais
Ked's! Those look like Ked's!:-)

Thanks Tom. Yes, Asics are/were my favorite wrestling shoe.

Rob

Bustillo, A.
26th May 2002, 01:42
Rob A. ,
just a brief note about Koji Sugimoto. Sugimoto was my first karate instructor and he played a pivotal role in my early training. However, I have not trained with him in years.

In reference to shoes: a good running pair of sneakers have worked great for me over the years.