PDA

View Full Version : Another knee injury?

Jens
23rd May 2002, 03:39
Last night, I did some light sparring and my opponent attempted a leg sweep. He shouldn't have succeeded, but I had a real strange sensation in my knee - I'm not sure if it was painful or not, but the knee just sort of folded and I went to the ground. When I got back on my feet, the knee didn't really hurt, it just felt very weak. After practice, I didn't feel any pain whatsoever, but I had this strange "tired" feeling in my knee. Today, there is some pain when I extend my knee fully and this strange unstable feeling in the knee joint. I'm thinking partially torn ligaments, but shouldn't that be more painful?

Normally, I wouldn't think much about it and just let it rest, but I had a partial meniscoptomy in my right knee last year (now it's the left knee), so anything involving my knees worries me.

Jens Nasstrom

Keith Frederick
2nd June 2002, 09:41
Sounds like ligament damage.

In my case (and many others whom I have met as a knee-jury survivor :) there was no pain. Sometimes a sound or the "feeling" of a sound and then you are on the floor wondering what happened. If the ligament has already been torn then there probably won't be any sound; you'll just find yourself on the ground. Usually at the time of the first tear, there is considerable swelling. Subsequent falls may not result in swelling but might slightly and also you'll have that weak, somewhat "off" feeling too in the knee for a bit.

If you get the feeling that your leg is not stable -- sometimes gives slightly when standing in a certain position -- then it probably is ligament damage. You'll know soon enough if your stability doesn't return.

Building up hamstrings helps with stability but reconstructive knee surgery is usually the required treatment if you want to be rigorous in your martial arts training.

There are LOTS of survivor stories on the web about people who have gone through surgery and are back in the martial arts, skiing, etc. Sports medicine has come a long way when it comes to knees so there isn't too much they can't fix!

Go see a doctor!

- Keith