PDA

View Full Version : Tozando?

Kenseii
25th May 2002, 02:06
I am ordering a Higo Koshirae model Iaito from Tozando next month. Could someone please tell me the length of the Tsuka?

I can have the Tsuka extended to 11.22inches, since I am 5ft11.5" tall do you think this would be necessary......Any other feedback on the Tozando Iaito would be greatfully appreciated.

Soulend
25th May 2002, 05:31
Looks to be about 11" already. For an exact measurement, you could always e-mail (mail@tozando.com) them and get it straight from the horse's mouth :)

gendzwil
26th May 2002, 20:52
Your height's got little to do with it. Do you have unusually large hands? How does your instructor like you to hold the tsuka (ie kendo style with the butt inside the palm or like many iaido styles with the butt extending past the palm)? Does your style like a lot of leverage? 11" is a big tsuka, most are 9.5" or 10".

PS If it's not a done deal with Tozando, I suggest going with Nosyuiaido (www.swordstore.com) instead. You can then talk with Rick Polland directly and he can be a lot of help with this sort of stuff.

Gene Gabel
28th May 2002, 11:58
Originally posted by gendzwil

PS If it's not a done deal with Tozando, I suggest going with Nosyuiaido (www.swordstore.com) instead. You can then talk with Rick Polland directly and he can be a lot of help with this sort of stuff.

I shopped Tozando myself before ordering my Iaito. The buzz around the boards is that they are really hard to deal with and don't keep buyers informed also the quality of their lower end blades is not too good.
I have an Iaito on order from the Swordstore right now and they are really a pleasure to deal with. Rick will answer any and all questions in a timely manner and they have many many more fittings options than Tozando.
Personally I like have someone as a contact person in the US to deal with.
If they aren't out of your price range the $499 Iaito is wonderfull

Gene Gabel

Tim Hambelton
28th May 2002, 19:08
Originally posted by Gene Gabel

I agree with you, Mr. Gabel. I was more comfortable dealing with someone in the US - especially when buying my first iaito.

I recently purchased my first iaito from bogubag.com (http://www.bogubag.com). I believe they deal in Tazando products and drop ship from the factory in Japan. Robert Stroud at BoguBag.com promptly answered all my questions and was very helpful. The prices include shipping and are quoted in US dollars. The iaito I ordered arrived exactly when Mr. Stroud said it would. He also emailed me when it shipped so that I could keep an eye out for it. I was very satisfied with the transaction.

The helpfulness of Mr. Stroud was exactly what I was looking for when ordering my first iaito.

Tim Hambelton

Tim Hambelton
28th May 2002, 19:10
Originally posted by Gene Gabel

I agree with you, Mr. Gabel. I was more comfortable dealing with someone in the US - especially when buying my first iaito.

I recently purchased my first iaito from bogubag.com (http://www.bogubag.com). I believe they deal in Tazando products and drop ship from the factory in Japan. Robert Stroud at BoguBag.com promptly answered all my questions and was very helpful. The prices include shipping and are quoted in US dollars. The iaito I ordered arrived exactly when Mr. Stroud said it would. He also emailed me when it shipped so that I could keep an eye out for it. I was very satisfied with the transaction.

The helpfulness of Mr. Stroud was exactly what I was looking for when ordering my first iaito.

Tim Hambelton

gendzwil
28th May 2002, 22:31
Originally posted by Tim Hambelton

I recently purchased my first iaito from bogubag.com (http://www.bogubag.com). I believe they deal in Tazando products and drop ship from the factory in Japan. Robert Stroud at BoguBag.com promptly answered all my questions and was very helpful.

Stroud-sensei provides equipment from Koei Budogu Co. I deal with Koei myself and can recommend their products and service.

iaidolaug
20th July 2002, 12:20
Hi,

My Tozando KA-35 is already quite worn and too light. I have noticed that Tozando now has now models in their catalogue and wonder if there are anyone who has bought any of them yet.

Particularly interesting is their KA-88 (http://tozando.com/eng/iaido/ka88.html), which is heavier with a wider blade.

I have mailed Tozando to get more details and will post them here if I get any. However, to my experience, most shops reply kindly without actually answering the questions!

Please post any information you come across about there new heavier and wide-bladed iaito models.

Chidokan
20th July 2002, 15:01
just come back from the kyoto taikai, looked at Nosyu, Tozando, Meirin etc. Not a lot of difference in the lower end prices, in fact wouldnt mind betting that all the iaido blades(not fittings) are made by the same people! You want to pay around £350 and up for a nice one. You just pay for the cost of fittings after that, until you buy a proper blade.
One thing I will say is that Tozando delivered a set of kendo bogu promptly, and spoke English( which helped a lot!) unlike Meirin who have sent me the wrong montsuki! Also they made out I only paid 10,000 yen for the set, so I didn't pay a load of import tax.(£22 only instead of £54 for the montsuki!)
As you live near me I guess you will be doing Seitei with either Muso Jikiden or Muso Shinden. Tsuka length as supplied will be fine, I'm about the same height as you and I just use standard length tsuka. Just make sure the sword you order is not too heavy (900 grammes or less), as I'm guessing you are a beginner, too heavy a sword will make you use your upper body muscles, which is not correct.
Also go for either silk or deerskin tsuka ito, it lasts longer than the cotton type.I also saw the one they are currently advertising around £220, its not bad, if your budget wont go too far...

Tim