PDA

View Full Version : How many styles of Jo?

Usagi
28th May 2002, 07:44
I've just acquired two tapes on SuioRyu, and one of the things that surprised me was its jojutsu.

It is very diferent in its approach to the use of jo.

How many styles of jojutsu exist?

The weapons size and shape is uniform to all styles?

Robert Wolfe
28th May 2002, 15:10
Meik Skoss wrote an interesting article describing various styles of jojutsu and bojutsu. The article can be read at

http://koryu.com/library/mskoss7.html

Usagi
29th May 2002, 20:43
Originally posted byMeik Skoss
Toda-ha Buko-ryu bo and Tendo-ryu jo techniques are based on the idea that one's naginata has broken in the midst of combat on the battlefield, so one must make do with the piece of haft that is left.
http://koryu.com/library/mskoss7.html

A friend of my told once that naginata and yari staffs are not exactly round, but more like oval-shaped.

If that is so, do jo from these schools, that work on the premise that their weapon is a broken yari/naginata, are oval in shape?

Jeff Hamacher
31st May 2002, 03:50
Originally posted by Usagi
>> A friend of my told once that naginata and yari staffs are not exactly round, but more like oval-shaped. <<

hmmm ... i've only briefly seen or held naginata and yari before, but it don't think that the haft is always oval. in fact, IIRC the naginata used in Suio-ryu and for atarashii naginata (the bamboo-bladed ones) have round hafts, as do the yari for Hozoin-ryu sojutsu. if you got the attention of Meik Skoss, he'd surely be able to fill you in on the naginata situation at least, and probably yari as well.

Eric Montes
31st May 2002, 18:01
The hafts of naginata are oval in shape. The exact shape will vary from ryu to ryu. (atarashii naginata are required to have an oval shape as well.)

In Tendo ryu, the jo techniques are based upon the concept of a broken naginata, but the "standard" jo is round. I believe a couple of teachers have experimented with cut down naginata. I may have to do the same if can't save one of mine after I broke the tip.

Yari hafts are round, though, in my experience. Try to find some info on Owari-kan ryu and the reasons will become more apparent.

Eric Montes

Jeff Hamacher
1st June 2002, 01:05
Originally posted by Eric Montes
>> The hafts of naginata are oval in shape. The exact shape will vary from ryu to ryu. (atarashii naginata are required to have an oval shape as well.) <<

thanks for the info, Eric. my incorrect impression was based on the fact that i couldn't consistently sense the direction of the blade based on the feel of the haft in my hands, especially in hassou. i guessed that, assuming the haft were oval, i'd be able to tell which way the weapon was turned, but obviously my very limited experience betrayed me.