PDA

View Full Version : Army Combatives

Jonathan
7th June 2002, 06:37
http://www.dtic.mil/soldiers/dec95/p21.html

What about this guy, SGT. Leonard Holifield?

What relationship, if any, does his program have with the new combatives FM?

I know he sells tapes through Panther, although I haven't seen them, and has a book on sale at Amazon.com.

matt little
7th June 2002, 20:43
I am pretty certain that the new FM was developed Ft. Benning, and that SGT Hollifield was not involved.

Jeff Cook
9th June 2002, 13:57
SGT H. is no longer in the Army. He was involved in the previous FM 21-150, but was not involved in the current one, although much of the old FM remains intact in the new version.

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

Jonathan
10th June 2002, 03:24
Originally posted by Jeff Cook
SGT H. is no longer in the Army. He was involved in the previous FM 21-150, but was not involved in the current one, although much of the old FM remains intact in the new version.

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

Thanks.

tcasella
10th June 2002, 13:31
Believe it or not, I actually trained with Mr Holifield then SGT Holifield when I was at Ft Bragg and he did have a fairly large part in the writing of the last combatives manual. Alot of the material in the newest manual is stuff from the last version but for the most part he had no part in putting the new version together. Who would have thought then that he was going to do some of the stuff he's doing now...hehehe
I'm kind of curious what kind of stuff he put out on his tape...hmmm:rolleyes:

Matt Larsen
28th June 2002, 18:10
To my knowledge He had nothing to do with the 1992 FM 21-150. The main writer was I believe Max Mullins.

The proponency for Combatives is at the Ranger Training Brigade. What that means is that being a Ranger is a prerequisite for having any input into combatives doctrine. There was an article in Soldier magazine several years ago about Mr. Holifield. I believe he was an artilleryman, or something similar.

Matt Larsen

tcasella
29th June 2002, 14:29
I am really not trying to start a war here, so that being said...I stated earlier that I did know the guy for a while. Yes it is true that he was in one of the artillery units at Ft Bragg when I knew him (DIVARTY if I remember correctly) and though it may be true that the RTB is the main proponency for the combatives manuals, at the time I do believe that he and James Turner were the two guys who were the main force behind the change from the previous 1970's combatives manual to the 1990's version. I'm not at all defending the guy and like I stated earlier, I don't want to start a war either but...

Jeff Cook
29th June 2002, 20:35
For the record, my information came from SGT Holyfield himself. I have no way of authenticating his information.

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

tcasella
29th June 2002, 21:11
Mine too...

Matt Larsen
2nd July 2002, 17:00
Here is a link to an article in Soldier magazine about him.

http://www.dtic.mil/soldiers/dec95/p21.html

Matt Larsen