PDA

View Full Version : Eye contact

joe yang
7th June 2002, 22:02
Eye contact came up on another thread. Some schools promote it. Some schools don't. Too many people accept what they are told and never experiment.

Eye contact works for me, in the ring and on the job, as a control tool. But, I am open to any arguments against the same.

My question, can anyone explain why eye contact works, why it doesn't. Beyond opinions, is there research on the subject? What do our professional trainers have to say?:)

Jonathan
7th June 2002, 22:33
Originally posted by joe yang
Eye contact came up on another thread. Some schools promote it. Some schools don't. Too many people accept what they are told and never experiment.

Eye contact works for me, in the ring and on the job, as a control tool. But, I am open to any arguments against the same.

My question, can anyone explain why eye contact works, why it doesn't. Beyond opinions, is there research on the subject? What do our professional trainers have to say?:)

I think that it DEPENDS on the circumstance. Some people see it as a challenge - which is something you might wish to avoid. However, while visiting NYC, I noticed somebody checking me out for a possible mugging. I looked him directly in the eye and he walked away. On the other hand, some gangs and gang members will consider it not a show of assertiveness but rather a personal challenge.

I noticed that my friend's loud, big dog would start barking whenever I made direct and sharp eye contact with him. It worked like a charm So I avoided doing so until we became friends then when I house sat for my friends and this dog I used eye contact to establish that I was in charge.

There are few ABSOLUTE rules of thumb. Circumstances will dictate your strategy.

George Ledyard
10th June 2002, 16:00
The Founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, taught his students not to look into the opponent's eyes because they could "steal your spirit". Of course he himself did exactly that. So I would say that it is up to you and your own estimation about the realtive threat presented by the attacker.

If you are confident then use your eyes to "control" the mind of the attacker. If you feel as if that is what he is trying to do to you, then don't look into the eyes.

Benjamin Peters
11th June 2002, 22:34
IMO it can work because it adds to the many traits a stronger more capable and confident fighter (maybe crazy) would have.

In my experience, an eye stare is only scary if someone seems to have something convincingly strong to back it up. That is, either with other physical traits or known skill (or even other crazy traits).

Maybe an eye twitch is more effective? :mst:

tcasella
12th June 2002, 14:16
Personally, I just don't like getting poked in the eye...plain and simple. :laugh:
As far as the other type of eye contact, I guess it demonstrates superiority of will. I agree with jonathon in that some people may see it as a challenge but I also agree with Joe Yang about it being a control tool on the job. Again, a superiority of will thing.:mst:

Kit LeBlanc
12th June 2002, 19:11
From Loren Christensen, a retired cop and Vietnam vet, and 30 year martial artist. Good stuff. His comments about suspect actions leading up to assaults and attempted escapes are right on the money.

http://www.lwcbooks.com/articles/Eyesarticle.html

Dan Harden
12th June 2002, 20:54
For quick assessement, sizing up, reading intent and possibly de-escalating the conflict-look in the eyes, and read body language. For most people these are still involuntary reactions.

A primer on learning to control your own eyes and body language- as in Legal cross examination training, presentations and assessment training, breathing, feigning emotions etc.- are also excellent combative skills. Even the fiegning of emotional response through inflections and body motions is a very powerful tool in a group setting. If you can manage to do so and read the feedback you will do well with people.

From there when engaging in actual confrontation I am for the "looking at a far mountain" 100 click stare (pick a culture) attitude. I find I can "see" more by not focusing and letting my peripherals pick up motion.
Suigetsu
In simplistic terms.........
I tend to wire frame people's motions and respond accordingly. Think of them like a cross. When their hips move- usually the shoulders-to- suigetsu shows motion. If you are out of range one step (combative maai) most of the time you can count on his opposite leg being the next logical move to engage maai. The above suigetsu to shoulder reveals a body angle to connect with. It takes timing- but you can body slam (ate)his intent with a relaxed connection that is very tight (up close) and controling without much motion on your part. It seems very fast to an attacking frame though. (hard to explain here)Of course this leads to leg binding, chocking, grappling, striking -whatever.
Further, I wouldn't let him see me "looking" where I am going to move hit or control him.

As a side note I have had people say that in free-style this is freaky - a blank slate with intent glaring eyes with no focus.
In actual confrontation (read; real life) few, if any, would notice or be "undone by your eyes" or any other such nonsense- so I wouldn't count on psyching-out anyone who possesses even marginal fighting skills.

Just another opinion

cheers
Dan

Todd Prosser
13th June 2002, 03:59
Originally posted by Kit LeBlanc
From Loren Christensen, a retired cop and Vietnam vet, and 30 year martial artist. Good stuff. His comments about suspect actions leading up to assaults and attempted escapes are right on the money.

http://www.lwcbooks.com/articles/Eyesarticle.html

Kit,

Have you ever met him? A very interesting guy and a great cop.