PDA

View Full Version : Female dan gradings in Japan

Harry Cook
9th June 2002, 17:19
Does anyone know who was the first Western woman to be awarded shodan (or any dan grade) in karate in Japan or Okinawa. My wife obtained her shodan from Higaonna sensei at Yoyogi dojo in 1978, and she wondered if any Western woman was graded in japan before she was?
Harry Cook

10th June 2002, 05:09
Not sure but Ms. Demitriche (sp?)might have been graded earlier than '78.

Steven Malanosk
19th June 2002, 05:41
You will find that a few females where graded bt Fuse Kise in past years.

In fairly recent time, advanced yudansha grading "red and white obi" was given by Ueizu Angi of IsShiRyu, to Marylynn Fierro, and by the late Seikichi Odo of Okinawa Kenpo, to Bruce Heilman's wife.

19th June 2002, 12:17
Here is what I found at http://www.okinawakobudo.com/

From 1974 to 1977, Dometrich spent virtually all of her free time training with either Akamine Sensei or Inomoto Sensei. In 1976, Dometrich earned Grand Champion, Second Place at the First All Okinawan Kobudo Shiai sponsored by Akamine Sensei. By early 1977, Dometrich was awarded the rank of sandan (third degree black belt) in Ryukyu Kobudo and shodan (first degree black belt) in Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu iaido.

TimJurgens
2nd July 2002, 04:39
Kathy Lukolopis (spelling?) also know as Kathy Baxter spent several years in Okinawa ans was a very senior member when I first saw her in the 80's.