PDA

View Full Version : How do you recruit?

saviolo
10th June 2002, 16:26
I'm interested in how instructors approach building their classes. I'm guessing that most people rely on local advertising and word of mouth, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried other things which have really worked, or really NOT worked.

Cheers,

TomMarker
10th June 2002, 18:38
our club is on a college campus, so we do a fair amount of recruiting.

3-4 times a year we get about 800 copies of flyers and post them on campus in various spots (dorms, libraries, in the rec center) and we give them out at different events we attend.

We do performances for various groups on campus, although those events rarely bring in new members.

A lot of people we get at the beginning of the year when we have the new student orientation day. All the clubs go out on the quad and have space to do their thing, talk to new freshman, give out flyers, etc.

We also have our classes in a public building, so there are always people walking by, watching, and asking questions.

On nicer days, we'll go outside and practice too. This brings a few curious people out of the woodwork, but it also brings out annoying transients, too.

gendzwil
11th June 2002, 00:39
What works:
- poster campaign - use a largish (we use 11 X 17) poster with clear graphics. Keep the text simple and clear - where you practice, when, a phone number and email/web contact if available
- website IF you advertise it in your posters and ads - refer to the website rather than cluttering ads/posters with excess information.
- demonstrations at cultural festivals and other places where people who already have an interest in budo or things Japanese may hang out
- we run an ad in the fall "Leisure Guide" put out by the local paper, which is a supplement providing info on city-run programs (swim classes etc). Chances are your local paper publishes a similar guide.
- being part of a respected organisation or having a permanent facility. We're a program of the YMCA, which gives us instant credibility plus exposure through their program guide and advertising. Running your dojo out of temporary quarters or your garage or whatever doesn't do much to inspire confidence in potential students.

What doesn't work:
- demos in shopping malls and similar places, the people are there to shop not watch demos and unlike cultural festivals have no predisposition to budo
- usenet posts, posts to local bulletin boards, etc. Just gets lost in the general confusion of the net. Same goes for the website - people have to know about it to find it, so without the posters the website doesn't do much.

will szlemko
11th June 2002, 21:58
Hi,

The best thing that I have found interms of return on investment is business cards. On one side have style name, adress, phone, and times. On the reverse side include either small map or directions. I have found that handing these out to someone who seems interested nearly always results in a new student(for at least a month or two, but then retention is a different discussion).

will