PDA

View Full Version : fist gear

Geoff
13th June 2002, 17:13
Quick question: Are the "three-bubble" type fist protectors sold by Kamikaze (and others) allowed in WKF sparring or do you have to use those boxy looking mitts? Also, for light contact dojo-sparring are there styles of gloves that people prefer? I'm not looking at boxing-style gloves, my regular level of contact is not that hard or sustained, it's that I've torn apart too many freestyle foam mitts and those knit mitts always seem to fray.

Thanks,

Geoff Wingard

Rob Alvelais
13th June 2002, 22:11
Originally posted by Geoff
Quick question: Are the "three-bubble" type fist protectors sold by Kamikaze (and others) allowed in WKF sparring or do you have to use those boxy looking mitts?

3- bubbles are out, in officially sanctioned meets. YMMV at your local tournaments.

You have to use the WKF approved mits.

Also, for light contact dojo-sparring are there styles of gloves that people prefer? I'm not looking at boxing-style gloves, my regular level of contact is not that hard or sustained, it's that I've torn apart too many freestyle foam mitts and those knit mitts always seem to fray.

Thanks,

Geoff Wingard

The WKF mits are pretty good and forgiving when when accidents happen.

Rob

Ron Rompen
14th June 2002, 01:10
I don't know about the 3-bubble mitts or the WKF regulations, but I do know what -=I=- like to use.

Century Grapplers...been repairing and using the same pair for years now, since they are no longer made.

The Chuck Norris Wrist-wraps look similar, but they don't feel the same, so I am putting off buying anything new as long as I can, in the hopes that Century will regain their senses.

Shitoryu Dude
14th June 2002, 01:48
Best to check things out locally. What I used in the 80's is not allowed up here in Washington. What I have to use wasn't allowed back then. Go figure.

:beer:

Budoka 34
14th June 2002, 12:13
The WKF now only allows the WKF mitt in competition (aka/red and Shiro/blue (I know shiro is white)). You can find them on the WKF site.