PDA

View Full Version : Combinations

Benjamin Peters
25th June 2002, 23:24
Anyone care to share some of their most practiced or favorite kumite combinations ? I'm especially wanting to hear from you Kyokushin practioners.

Steve C
4th July 2002, 13:31
Are you interested in more formal, one-step self defence style combinations, or free sparring?

For free sparring, I'd recommend 'Kickboxing; a framework for success' By Pat O'Keeffe. The same author wrote 'Combat Kick Boxing,' which has a more self-defence orientation.

Steve

Shitoryu Dude
9th July 2002, 06:32
This works quite well with a little practice:

You and your opponent are in left forward fighting stances and he overextends himself just a tad while trying to sneak in on you. Grab their left wrist with your left hand and pull their arm into a hyperextension. At the same time snap your right leg around and forward to sweep their left leg. Your right arm, already back in a defensive position pulls up to prep for a shuto, elbow in tight to your ribs. Sweep fast to the ankle or knee and make sure you give them enough push to flip them over onto their back. While they are in mid-air snap a right shuto or hammerfist to their face (I prefer the bridge of their nose). Let them drop to the ground.

:beer:

Budoka 34
9th July 2002, 12:11
Oi-tsuki, Gyaku-tsuki, Mae geri.:D
Can you say linear?:D :D :D
Tai-sabaki, what tai-sabaki?:D :D :D

:smilejapa

Mike Williams
9th July 2002, 12:37
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
This works quite well with a little practice:

You and your opponent are in left forward fighting stances and he overextends himself just a tad while trying to sneak in on you. Grab their left wrist with your left hand and pull their arm into a hyperextension.

Then either come under their arm for Ippon Seoi Nage or past them for Osoto Gari, before settling into a nice juji-gatame armbar.

Oh sorry, wrong forum! :D

Cheers,

Mike

tamashi
9th July 2002, 14:31
Kazami Uchi, Gyaku-tsuki, Gedan Mawasi Geri

Shitoryu Dude
10th July 2002, 05:35
I saw a fantastic kick combo at kumite practice tonight. Sonny, always a strong fighter, went up against a new black belt that transferred into the dojo a couple weeks back (I believe he's a Shotokan guy). After a couple of intense engagements, Sonny came in with a left snapping front kick that was blocked/semi-captured by the new guy against his upper right thigh/groin area. Sonny came up with a right roundhouse kick to the side of the head with his left foot still captured - when he made contact Sonny had both feet off the ground and knocked the other guy for a loop.

Match over - new guy went to get an ice pack.

:beer:

tamashi
12th July 2002, 14:10
Kazami Uchi, Gyaku tsuki, Hidari Jodan Mawashi Geri.

Tommy_P
12th July 2002, 15:36
Something I learned from my kyokushin day's that always worked well for me was this:

For a slightly close distance sparring situation. A lead leg shin to his lead leg. This will move his leg out slightly as well as shock him. More important it will cause him to fall slightly forward at wich time you will catch him with a hard straight left to the chest (targets are optional:D). Follow this imediately with a right reverse punch to the body. Following the natural hip movement toward your oppoment from your reverse punch, direct a right leg round kick to the head. If the distance is to close for you to kick to the head, get a shin in his ribs (round kick). You could also grab and knee kick instead of mawashi geri. The whole combo is done, quickly and with a smooth flow. Action and
reaction.......works for me! ;)

Of coarse this combo can lead into other combos such as instead of the kick to the head taking the kick down low at the legs (or sweep) in which case your at the start of another barage of techniques.

I hope it wasn't confusing.

Tommy

gmanry
12th July 2002, 22:09
Both of you are in left stance. Feint with a jab to the face. This can be used to then suppress his lead left guard and shoulder. Step around counter clockwise with your right leg to the front left corner of your opponent. Slide your left foot to your right leg and use this weight transfer to land a punishing kick to the rear thigh of your opponents left leg. Then double up on it, or land a right hook to the kidney, or straight punch to the ribs, then double up on the kick.

With little trouble you can step in through his left leg and pull down on his right shoulder, grounding him. Then turn back into him and land a reverse punch to the head AS he is going down, not after he has gone down. This is particularly nasty and tends to take the fighting spirit right out of people.

There is more here than can sometimes be landed, this sort of points out a lot of possibilities. Smooth execution and breath control are necessary to do this combo, as your breath can be part of your feint.

Steven Malanosk
12th July 2002, 22:49
A high, low. high, high, entering utilizing either oi zuki or uraken in the Jodan level, and gyaku zuki in the chudan level.

This is followed up with a deep/close, ashi barai, done with your rear leg, as you sweep across his chest with your rear arm as an off balancing.

The final movements are the finishing movements, as the situation dictates.

High, low, high, high, SWEEP!, FINISH.

It works for me.:up:

tamashi
15th July 2002, 16:54
Okay. if attacker steps in with Front kick,
lets say a left front kick for the example.

Do a left descending sweeping block as you
do a small step back to help avoid the mae geri.
make sure to use your hand to push them off to
your left, and get your hand back up to guard position.

Now do a right gedan mawashi geri to which ever
leg is avaialble. most likely their left as they
will be unbalanced from you previous move.
if lucky, you will sweep them down with the low kick.
more than likely though, they will just be hurt and
destabalized..
Now follow up with more; such as a left Jodan Mawashi geri
or maybe just a left Hook punch. right ushiro mawashi geri etc.
use your imagination to add on more techniques, knees and so on.
Osu!

tamashi
16th July 2002, 21:38
A combination for when the attacker does a right middle punch:

Perform a short left middle soto uke, as you move slightly off
to a *45 degree angle (To the right of the attacker).
At the same time as you are blocking, bring your right hand up
and hook behind the head unbalancing them and pulling their
torso down. As their upper body is coming down, do a right mawashi
hiza geri to the mid section (or 2). Then follow up with a right jodan mawashi..
continue to follow up with techniques of your choice until you put them down.
:-)
remember to stay flexible, and adjust the combo as needed.
i.e., throw in a couple of left kicks (low, then high), use your
elbows in close, block their attempt to counter, etc. etc.

*By moving off center with some tai Sabaki, it may help you to avoid the left punch
that is probably coming next, or the kick, or whatever.