PDA

View Full Version : Odd question: diuretic sorta

Charlie Kondek
26th June 2002, 13:20
Question is this: was working out yesterday in nearly 90-degree heat. Kickboxing workout, jumping rope, stretching, lots of kicks, then two three-minute rounds shadowboxing, two three-minute rounds heavy bag, then one 5-minute round heavy bag. Sipping from a water bottle in between.

Toward the end of the workout, and I'm sweating quite a bit, I got the almost overwhelming urge to urinate and defecate. No biggie, it wasn't like I was about to lose it, and actually I took a pee brake between the kicking and the shadow-boxing. But I guess I'm thinking this, and wondering if there's any truth to it:

Did that happen because my body was trying to dump moisture, and wanted to do so through peeing and pooping (sorry!)? Or was it just "one of those things," lay off the fruit? Can I expect this kind of thing again in these super-sweating workouts?

Charlie Kondek
8th July 2002, 13:57
Shoot, 24 views and no replies.

Well, the same thing sorta happened again the other day (in 95 degree heat). Maybe I should just cut back on the coffee! :D

DKFretwell
9th July 2002, 01:10
Sounds like you were dehydrated. The symptoms you describe go along with dehydration. May I suggest you pre-hydrate, re-hydrate and post-hydrate? You mentioned you were sipping water during your workout, but not how much you drank. Also as a side note, coffee is a natural diuretic, you might want to avoid it prior to your workout. And remember, by the time you are thirsty, you are already about 1 liter low on water. Living in the desert I am very aware of the need for proper hydration.
HTH

Peace,
Deb:cool:

Charlie Kondek
9th July 2002, 13:09
Thanks, Deb! I think you're on to something.