PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Police Dpt: Taiho Jutsu

Óscar Recio
1st July 2002, 14:19
Hello everybody,
Anybody knows or can adress me where to find information about Taiho Jutsu, i think it´s the self defense discipline studied on the Tokyo police dpt.
Thanks.
Óscar Recio
:smilejapa

fifthchamber
4th July 2002, 13:42
Hi Oscar.
There is a section devoted to Taihojutsu in the third volume of Donn F. Draegers series on Japanese Martial arts "Modern Budo and Bujutsu".
It is not a lot to go on but has the basics covered on the subject...I also know that the Japanese Police use converted Juttejutsu techniques in the modern syllabus they use for training self defense with the extendable baton they carry. There is a bit on that also in the above book.
Another possible book to look at would be "Angry white pyjamas" by Robert Twigger. The book has details of his training with the Tokyo Riot police in Yoshinkan Aikido but may have more on Taihojutsu also...I haven't read it yet so can't be sure but it is probably worth the read either way.
Both books are available through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0834803518/qid=1025790065/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9150655-2623909
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0688175376/qid%3D1025790142/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/104-9150655-2623909
Abayo.

Don Cunningham
4th July 2002, 16:31
Most Japanese police departments are very secretive about their taiho-jutsu training. They seem to believe that if they disclose much information, then their criminals will learn to counter it or something. Occasionally, you can get some insight, though. I was able to learn a bit about their use of old jutte waza adapted for keibo techniques because of close judo training friends within the Kanagawa Police Department. Donn Draeger apparently also got some inside information from friends and acquaintences.

The bottomline, however, is that Japanese police taiho-jutsu is not really all that complicated. It's mostly applied judo and/or aikido techniques with the same or similar modifications you might find in any U.S. self-defense or law enforcement training program. The concepts are identical. Get the suspect disarmed, if necessary, on the ground, and safely restrained.

Óscar Recio
4th July 2002, 17:22
Thanks!!!!
I´ve just readed first about Taihojutsu on an article and i´m trying to prepare myself for an exam. The Police Dpt offers the opportunity to join the Dpt. with two careers:
-Self.defense instructor
-Assistant self-defense instructor
I´ve been practising martial arts 16 years ago, 12 years of Ju Jutsu, but i´m trying to prepare myself better and search for information about Police politics about self defense.
Thank for your most wellcomed replies...
Sincerely
Óscar Recio:smilejapa