PDA

View Full Version : sakki and godan test

AWills
1st July 2002, 22:47
if it is the killer intention you sense when doing the godan test then there is something i don't understand.

surely Soke Hatsumi isn't intending to kill you when you do the test. so does that mean it's not sakki?

i was told that the years of dodging incoming strikes while training develops your sense for this.

bencole
1st July 2002, 23:08
Originally posted by AWills
surely Soke Hatsumi isn't intending to kill you when you do the test. so does that mean it's not sakki?

Good question. Certainly, Soke does not want to actually kill his students. However, he does want to put out the feeling of wanting to kill his student (or whack him really hard on the head). The sakki test is therefore testing the ability to sense this feeling.

Does that help?

i was told that the years of dodging incoming strikes while training develops your sense for this.

Yes and no. Years of dodging incoming strikes can allow one to expand one's "sensitivity" or "awareness." But not trained properly, it could result in the building of the habit to "react" to things, rather than to "respond" to things.

There is no need to "practice" for the Godan test. By training properly in Taijutsu, you will come to nurture an awareness. This will put your body in a safe place when it needs to--during battle, during the godan test, etc--nothing more, nothing less.

The same could be said for the need to "practice" generating 'ki' (for those who believe in its existence). By training properly in Taijutsu, you will come to nurture 'ki.' This leads to things like 'kihaku' and 'kiai.'

Actual "training" for either of these things tends to make one 'over-react' or 'over-conscious' of them. Rather, they should just be.

-ben

Marc Renouf
1st July 2002, 23:49
AWills writes:

if it is the killer intention you sense when doing the godan test then there is something i don't understand..."

Having just recently taken the godan test myself, I can tell you one thing unequivocally: I still don't understand it. :) It just happens.

AWills
2nd July 2002, 07:36
thanks for the replies.

congratulations to you Marc (assuming you passed)

Karyu
2nd July 2002, 08:25
Supposedly the Godan is harder now because instead of "pushing" them out of the way, Sensei forces them to rely on sakki alone.

Bradenn
5th March 2003, 14:01
I went to try a Russian Systema class a few days ago.

Believe it or not, their art includes a lot of this type of thing.

You don't develop it overnight, but the advanced practitioners can allegedly push or pull people without physical contact. You can debate if it is psychic or psychological but apparently it happens.
They do training with eyes closed as well and apparently develop excellent sensitivity to the opponent's intentions, fears etc.

Interesting stuff. I feel as if I've just taken my first step into a bigger world.

Rokushakubo
5th March 2003, 14:29
Has anybody seen those programmes called "Mind Control" with Derren Brown? There's a 6-part series currently being shown in the UK with old material from his 3 specials and a lot of new material, and it's fascinating stuff!

The reason I ask is that in one of them, he goes to a kung fu class where a kung fu master demonstrates the one-inch punch to extinguish a candle. Derren Brown then performs his version which involves punching one of the students, but not actually making contact (his fist ends up around 6 inches away). Firstly, he does this in front of the student who doubles up in pain. The second time he does this, he is standing behind the student so the student cannot see the "attack". Again, the student doubles up in pain.

I was wondering about the similarities of this "trick" and the godan test. Any ideas or coments?

The Tengu
5th March 2003, 15:24
Originally posted by Rokushakubo
Firstly, he does this in front of the student who doubles up in pain. The second time he does this, he is standing behind the student so the student cannot see the "attack". Again, the student doubles up in pain.

I was wondering about the similarities of this "trick" and the godan test. Any ideas or coments? Similar to Hatsumi Sensei "pushing" testees out of the way, yes.

Similar to sensing sakki and avoiding it, no.

Shinkuri
6th March 2003, 00:38
isn't Testees another plural for testicles?

Just a little humour. Ill go away now.

Ninja2004
6th March 2003, 04:20
Im no where near to taking the godan test, but I have been both "pushed" and "pulled", by some means other then physical contact especially while training. Its hard to describe the feeling but I would imagine it has some similarities to the godan test. But like I said before, Im no where near taking the godan test.:D

Chris

The Tengu
6th March 2003, 13:47
Originally posted by Shinkuri
isn't Testees another plural for testicles?

Just a little humour. Ill go away now. Hahahaha, no. :mst:

...I've always wanted to use Mr. T!