PDA

View Full Version : Time

Kevin Meisner
7th July 2002, 18:02
I know this has been done before, but it connects with the "rank" poll. We don't have ranks in my school. Time is what counts, along with how hard you work. How long have you been training? Here we go...

kenshorin
7th July 2002, 21:58
I was going to throw this same question together when I saw the "rank" thread too. Read my mind...

rupert
8th July 2002, 05:06
Originally posted by Kevin Meisner
We don't have ranks in my school. Time is what counts, along with how hard you work.

At last, a sensible system philosophy.

Rupert Atkinson

Markaso
8th July 2002, 23:46
In the Dojos that I have studied in we do have ranks but to get these ranks you have to put in time, sweat, and a lot of heart.

There have been some ranks given as encouragement to some of the lower ranks but that's another story.

Steven Malanosk
10th July 2002, 04:30
Old guy!!!!!!:cry: I'm only 42!

Thats funny, usually I am accused of being to young for my rank......

I agree, that the length of STEADY training is far more a better judge of status than Grade at times.

I started JJ in 65 at 5 yrs. old, and GoJu in 68 at eight years old.
Stayed loyal and active as a student and teacher ever since.

In Chinese culture, reffering to someone as "Old Man," is a compliment
to their knowledge and experience in life.

Hey how about the old girls??????????????

Tommy_P
10th July 2002, 09:57
I often hear people associate years of training with expertise. However in my opinion it's quality not quantity.

I'd rather have 5 years training with Morio Higaonna than 10 with David Carradine:D

Tommy

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2002, 21:21
Well, DUH!! I think we are referring to time spent actually training under somebody competent.

Who else would we NOT want to train under? Dr. Ron?

:beer:

j-lane
15th July 2002, 23:15
Proud newbie here- practicing Shotokan for about 9 months. I'm 37 years old.
The poll implies that us "old guys" are the more experienced ones- well, speaking for the older members of the list (what is the average age here, anyway?)- it's never too late to start! I love karate, I wish I had found it earlier in my life!

n2shotokai
16th July 2002, 13:13
Originally posted by j-lane
Proud newbie here- practicing Shotokan for about 9 months. I'm 37 years old.
The poll implies that us "old guys" are the more experienced ones- well, speaking for the older members of the list (what is the average age here, anyway?)- it's never too late to start! I love karate, I wish I had found it earlier in my life!

Ah 37, you are just a young stud. 9 months! Watch out for the 1 year burn-out, keep working your way through it. So many people just give up. Karate is fascinating in that just when you think it gets boring and you know it all you get a little lesson that tells you:

1. You have just scratched the surface and know nothing.
2. You discover a whole new level of understanding you never knew existed.

Every time you work your way through difficult periods you discover new rewards.

Steve Beale (46)

j-lane
16th July 2002, 19:31
Thanks for the reply, Steve.
I know what you mean- already there are times when practice seems repetitive and dull; then I'll be asked to perform a kata and realize how little I know and how much I still need to learn. Or, I'll get the opportunity to practice a bit with one of the black belts or with Sensei and realize there's a whole level of karate I haven't even touched yet. For any classical music lovers out there, it's alot like Mozart- seemingly simple at first, but more beautiful and complex the more you analyze the music.

I'll watch out for the "one-year" burn out! Already I've stuck with this longer than most activities in recent memory, so there's hope!