PDA

View Full Version : TRIP UPDATE

carl mcclafferty
10th August 2000, 10:05
FOLKS
I AM TRYING THIS ON A DOUBLE LANGUAGE KEYBOARD SO PLEASE FORGIVE ANYS MISSPELLINGS, CAP LETTERS ETC. WE JUST VISITED WITH YAMADA SENSEI (SOKE SHIN SHIN SEKI GUICHI RYU BATTO JUTSU) AND AFTER TWO DAYS OF TESTING I FINALLY RECEIVED MY SANDAN AND PERMISSION TO OPEN THE FIRST DOJO IN THE U.S. I WILL BE VISITING NAKAMURA TAISABUTRO SENSEI AND OTAKE RISUKE SENSEI NEXT WEEK. I MISS BOTH OF THEM AND IT WILL BE GOOD TO SEE THEM AGAIN. I ALSO WANT TO TELL SENSEI POWER THAT THE OKONOMIYAKI (JAPANESE PIZZA) SMELLS AS GOOD AS I REMEMBER IT. HHMM,HMMM WISH HE WAS HERE TO SHARE SOME WITH ME.

I WAS SOMEWHAT SADDEN TO SEE THAT OUR MODERATOR JOHN ALLOWED FURTHER ATTACKS ON ME AND MY GOSHIN JUTSU KARATE STUDENTS WHILE I AM HERE, BUT I UNDERSTAND THE NEED TO ENCOURAGE DIOLAQUE AMONG THE PARTICIPANTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR MARTIAL ARTS ABILITIES.

CARL MCCLAFFERTY

ghp
10th August 2000, 21:14
Carl,

Congratulations on sandan in Shin Shin Sekiguchi Ryu Battojutsu. Although you have higher ranks in two other batto ryuha, this koryu education should round out your long-time experience in swordsmanship: classical arts always do.

See Ken's public apology to you in the Member's Forum: http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=1261

Glad to hear you're enjoying all that okonomiyaki!! Eat two for me :D

And say hello to Nakamura sensei for me -- Please tell him that I am working hard to propogate his style. His 1985 video should be available soon from Tsunami Video -- not in English, but with some English subtitles at important locations. I've donated my portion of the royalties to the International Battodo Federation.

Also, I am very interested in Otake sensei's responses to the "questions" you and I discussed.

Sheesh! Some people have all the luck!

Regards,
Guy

carl mcclafferty
11th August 2000, 00:57
Richard:
Thanks for the congrats, I will come up on your web on the 17th after I return to Sakai.

CLM

Guy:

Sorry about the okonomiyaki comment, but i will bet you can smell it even now. I will give your message to Nakamura Sensei. I found out that Yamada sensei`s instructor knew Nakamura Sensei during the war, cool. It will give another line of conversation.

I thought I was really in shape for the SGR test, but by the end of the second day I could hardly walk. But I guess if it was easy everyone would do it. (maybe I just getting old) I will get the best answers I can from Otake Sensei and some other things

Carl

socho
11th August 2000, 01:08
Guy,
please let me know when the Nakamura video becomes available.

ghp
11th August 2000, 04:19
Dave!

It's good to see you back on e-budo. For those who don't know, Sergeant Major Drawdy has just relocated from Camp Zama, Japan to Alexandria VA. He won't tell you but I will -- he was promoted by Nakamura Taizaburo sensei to 4th dan.

So Dave -- I expect you to teach Toyama Ryu Iaido after you settle from your move :D .

I have received the master tape ["Me de Miru Battodo" in Japanese] from the Kokusai Battodo Renmei -- one of Nakamura sensei's organization -- and I have passed it to David Chambers of Tsunami Video. He and his staff have made a couple of production copies with time hacks -- so I can go over the Japanese audio language and insert English text. Unfortunately, it will be cost prohibitive at this time to do a full translation. Tsunami can't pay me, and the Federation says they can't afford the fee -- so I'll do some limited translation/interpretation -- pro bono.

I've sent photos for Tsunami to work out a cover -- so they're quite close to being marketed. I'll see more when I visit Mr. Chambers next weekend.

If the first 100 of Nakamura sensei's video sell well and a second 100 is ordered, Tsunami and/or the Federation might pay for a full translation.

Tsunami already is selling another Toyama Ryu iaido video -- made by Tokutomi Tasaburo sensei, who practices Morinaga-ha Toyama Ryu. This tape is not the same as Nakamura sensei's -- even though Tokutomi sensei resembles a younger Nakamura sensei :D. When you buy one [for research, of course!], do not think they're the same video.

Tokutomi sensei can be seen opposite Nakamura sensei in the video Einaru Budo -- so attrociously renamed Budo: The Art of Killing in the US.

Regards,
Guy