PDA

View Full Version : Other weapons in Shinkendo

Dokuganryuu
10th August 2000, 21:12
From what I have read, the katana, tanto, jo, and bo are a part of Shinkendo training, along with aikijujutsu. Are there any other weapons studied, like the naginata, jutte, tessen, or yari? Thank you.

10th August 2000, 22:46
While I am not part of Shinkendo, by your post I thought you might be interested in my upcoming book, Secret Weapons of Jujutsu. The book's focus is on jutte and tessen. It also gives me another chance for a shameless plug. More information, plus an address for ordering, is available at:

http://www.concentric.net/~Budokai/miscellany/new-book.htm

Nathan Scott
11th August 2000, 04:36
Hello Mr. Timberlake,

From what I have read, the katana, tanto, jo, and bo are a part of Shinkendo training, along with aikijujutsu.

I'm afraid that is not the case. Shinkendo is 95% kenjutsu with a katana style weapon. There has been talk in the past of introducing kodachi waza, and I can think of one waza that has a Naginata in the uchidachi side, and at least a couple that have Yari on the uchidachi side, but these example are very unique. Our practice is mostly katana vs. katana.

However, we do incorporate tanto, jo, bo (ryukyu bojutsu) and occaisonally a few other things into our "Aikido Aikibujutsu Tanren Kenkyukai" organization, but this is a seperate style all together (though elements of the two do mix nicely). The ranks are seperate, and the classes are seperate.

Are there any other weapons studied, like the naginata, jutte, tessen, or yari?

Not withstanding what I wrote above, no. That's not to say that Obata Soke does not know waza for some of the above example you gave (like yari), but just that they have not been included formally in either curriculum.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Dokuganryuu
11th August 2000, 05:24
Oh, okay, I wasn't too sure. I read your post on swordforum.com about the .mpg movies and I say jo and bo while skimming through and assumed it was a part of the form. The movies were great, by the way, I now have somewhat of an idea of what Shinkendo look like! Thanks again, sir.

Nathan Scott
11th August 2000, 18:08
Oh, I see,

You mean you noticed the buki in the background of the dojo (that was shot in our Honbu dojo, by the way).

The spear that you might have made out in the corner is actually a really well made European style spear, given to Soke by someone in the San Francisco area a few years ago. It has great balance, good feel, and sinks into makiwara with very little effort. It doesn't get used much, except perhaps by me. Since it is heavier than the rokushakubo, I like to twirl it around as a wrist exercise!

The Tonfa are there because we have a ryukyu kobudo stylist training with us, and a LAPD officer who both are looking to supplement their Tonfa/baton methods. Soke does not typically teach the Ryukyu weapons outside of the Bo anymore.

Glad you liked the MPEG movies. I had a feeling there would be people curious about what we do. Obata Soke likes the idea too, so we will likely produce some MPEG's for our home page featuring him at some point.

Regards,

Nathan Scott