PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Shorinji

Alexander
13th July 2002, 06:19
About 10 years ago or so, I trained in Shorinji Kempo in Perth, Western Australia. I only did Shorinji for about one and a half years, and due to study and work commitments I stopped training. When I had some free time I tried to start up Shorinji again, but unfortunately our instructor, who trained under Mizuno Sensei (the head of Shorinji in the UK?), had stopped teaching for various reasons. After searching around for a martial art that had the same philosophy, training etiquette and similar techniques for some time, I decided to go to Japan. After living here for 3 years or so, it will soon be time to return home to Perth. Of course once I return home, I would love to continue practising Shorinji. So my question is, does anyone here in E-Budo know of any instructors in Perth, or at least some people that have trained in Shorinji that would be intersted in practising ? Of course, I will contact my former instructor once I get back home, but some additional information would be a great help.:D

Or could anyone suggest a style that would be reasonably similar. I particularly enjoy juho, and would be interested in a style which incorporates the same principals. If it isn't to much to ask, also of a competent instructor or school in Perth.

One further question. In searching the internet for a dojo in Perth, I came across Budo Yoseikan Australia. The instructor, Yoshiaki Unno Sensei, came to Perth from Japan, to teach at the Jan De Jong Self Defense School, and later formed Budo Yoseikan Australia. In his resume it says that he is a 4th dan in Nihon Den Kempo. Does anyone know if this is similar to Shorinji Kempo? Is it Nippon Kempo?

Anyway enough questions. Thank you all, in advance for your help. :D
Paul Bradsell

Phong Nguyen-Le
15th July 2002, 11:10
Hi,

I'm afraid we (Brisbane Branch) don't have any contact details for any Shorinji Kempo kenshi in Perth... sorry...

If it's any consulation, I'll be heading off to Canberra soon for a few years and will be in the same situation there... (anyone know of Shorinji Kempo kenshi/senseis in Canberra?)

Cheers
Phong Nguyen-Le
Brisbane Shorinji Kempo Branch (Former Student President)

Alexander
16th July 2002, 09:42
Hey Phong Nguyen-Le, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't know of any kenshi/sensei in Canberra either. If you are unable to train in Shorinji, what are you going to do? Are you going to try something similar?

Actually, I've been looking at some jobs in Canberra, so maybe I'll end up there myself. Who knows, we may end up training together. :D

Paul Bradsell

Phong Nguyen-Le
17th July 2002, 00:18
Hi Alexander,

Yeah, I'll probably have to find something similar to Shorinji when I go (in about 3 weeks time). I'm not too worried right now, as at first I'll be adjusting to the city but then I propably will look for something.

However if you get a job in Canberra, then both our training problems will be solved :) The good thing about Canberra is that its on the Eastern side of Australia where all the other branches are, so if we train together to maintain and improve our techniques, we can also pop over at any of the other branches once in a while to learn new technques etc.

Cheers
Phong Nguyen-Le

colin linz
17th July 2002, 22:47
Hi Phong, Brad,

There was some discusion of a Perth Branch joining the Australian Federation a while back. Since then I have not heard anything. A few weeks ago I came accross a web site for Shorinji, by a kenshi in Perth. I e-mailed him to see what has been happening, but as yet I've had no reply.

Cheers
Colin

Alexander
17th July 2002, 23:17
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the information. I am pretty sure the web site you would have come across is that of Stuart Allies. We both went to the same uni, and I am almost certain that he no longer lives in Perth, and probably no longer checks this email account. That might explain why you have got no reply. Of course, I may well be wrong. If you hear any more information or recall anything more about a Perth Branch joining the Australian Federation, could you please let me know. That would be great.

At the moment, I am not sure where in Australia, I will be living. It pretty much depends on where I can get a job and whether or not there is a Shorinji dojo close by.

Thanks once again :D
Paul Bradsell

Alexander
17th July 2002, 23:20
Actually where I live will depend on if there are any dojos near by or any kenshi nearby who would be willing to practise.

Paul Bradsell

Phong Nguyen-Le
18th July 2002, 01:20
Hi Paul,

Sorry to call you Alexander last time, but hey, if shorinji will influence where you live, then choose Queensland, there are 3 branches there, and if you're really keen, you can train up to 7 days a week by going to all three. My average is 4 a week but at certain times (especially before gradings or during uni holidays) I've train 6 days straight for a couple of weeks... plus the classes are structured differently on certain days etc, so you won't be doing the same thing. And if you need another reason to, between the Qld branches, we often get many Japanese/International visiting shorinji senseis and kenshi dropping in all the time.

Also Colin, how's your club? I've been meaning to come up before i go, but recently all my thrusday have been very busy, anyway, will give you a call soon.

Cheers
Phong

colin linz
18th July 2002, 02:35
Brad,

I would have to agree with Phongs assessment of Shorinji training in Australia. After training since 1988 through to 2000 in Newcastle and Sydney, I can definitely say QLD has the numbers and enthusiasm to make training more rewarding. If you wanted to find out more information on the various clubs please e-mail me and we can discuss them.

Phong,

The club is rolling along. I still don’t have many students, but it’s still early days yet. Some of the reasons as to why I’ve chosen the area for my club have attributed to the lack of numbers. However I’m sure I will be able to draw people in as they develop more of an understanding of Shorinji Kempo. At the moment Kickboxing seems to be the go.

Cheers
Colin