PDA

View Full Version : Handshapes in AJJ

the Khazar Kid
13th July 2002, 18:52
I have heard that this technique in Daito-ryu is done with the hand loose and the fingers spread, unlike in any other style of martial art? Is this true, and if so what is the rationale for such a unique chop?

Jesse Peters

Kendoguy9
13th July 2002, 21:28
Hello,

I maybe a little out of line here but, here is my understanding of the "aiki chop". One if you haven't noticed many of the techniques are done with open hands fingers spread wide. This allows the aiki to flow (sorry to esoterical but thats the best I can do without showing). So it is the fact that we always do technique open handed like that that it's done. The strike itself is symbolic of pulling a kodachi and finishing them. pretty simple. In reality you might elbow them, kick them etc.

gambatte!!!

Dan Harden
14th July 2002, 04:04
Chris writes
So it is the fact that we always do technique open handed like that that it's done.......

(says Chris of his experience with "ONE" DR teacher.)

Question asked of same teacher in public

"What do you think of openly teaching the (deleted description-hand held up in demonstration "NOT" open fingered) that uses an Aiki connection that accelerates the brain case while planting the body and neck?"

A. Kondo (scratches back of head) we don't like to show that or talk about it till later.

Advice (and no offense intended)
There are 5-7 branches (depending on who or what you believe) and a history of perhaps a dozen teachers of significant merit. Therefore, caveates that differentiate like "Our style does this or that" or "Maybe I'll ask." are sometimes worth including, and are respectful of the efforts of others.

Just an opinion
cheers
Dan

the Khazar Kid
14th July 2002, 05:03
So it is mostly used in Training to safely simulate a real chop or a blow with a weapon?

Jesse Peters

BigJon
14th July 2002, 16:48
I may be wrong but are people refering to "Shomen Uchi"? It may be called something different when used in finishing a technique...but the "chop" being refered to also signals the tode is ready for the next attackers....I may have helped, although I may be just pissing people off too!:D

Jon Gillespie

John Lindsey
14th July 2002, 17:45
So it is mostly used in Training to safely simulate a real chop or a blow with a weapon?

No, what I think Dan was saying among other nice things, was that there is an advanced application of this strike.

To me, there seems to be some biomechanical advantage to this strike in that it makes the whole hand a bit more rigid or unified.

Arman
17th July 2002, 18:40
There are 5-7 branches (depending on who or what you believe) and a history of perhaps a dozen teachers of significant merit. Therefore, caveates that differentiate like "Our style does this or that" or "Maybe I'll ask." are sometimes worth including, and are respectful of the efforts of others.

Thanks, Dan. Hopefully we can ALL do the same, given that some of us do bother to identify our style/school status with our signature line, as I believe Chris did. (No offense intended, either)

Cheers,
Arman Partamian
Daito ryu Study Group
Maryland

chris friedman
24th July 2002, 18:53
I think Ba Gua also has that open finger strike for chi flow or something.

jzimba1
26th July 2002, 20:33
after heated debate within the community, a secret gathering of daito-ryu instructors met in the dark of the night several days ago. they have agreed to let me share the truth, and then the real truth.
truth1: you learn this way of using the hands, so in later training you don't have to put down your pipe or chopsticks or nowadays, remote control or cellphone while mutilating the slathering whords.
truth2: the reason instructors demonstrate this way is so they can say things like
"Look ma no hands!" while they subject you to unbearable pain. this aded humiliation results in hara-giri.... saving them the trouble... ad lets them return to the afforementioned pipe/remote/etc...
J
Originally posted by chris friedman
I think Ba Gua also has that open finger strike for chi flow or something.