PDA

View Full Version : Question

Lance
11th August 2000, 02:49
I am majoring in Criminal Justice and probably will be entering some form of law enforcement in the future.
Now that the background has been stated, here is the question. Is Shorinji Kempo effective in a sense that it could help me survive in an unarmed struggle on the street? I am about 5'9" and 135lbs. so I need some type of tool to offset the balance while on the job.
I plan to go to Japan in about two years and am searching for a martial art to study while there as well. I will be staying about 4-5 years.

Thanks,
Lance Clanton

[Edited by Lance on 08-11-2000 at 10:15 AM]

Anders Pettersson
11th August 2000, 18:48
Hi Lance and welcome to e-budo.

Shorinji Kempo techniques covers many different type of attacks, since we put equal effort in both goho (hard methods, like kicks & punches) and Juho (soft methods, escapes, throws, take downs etc.) So I am sure that SK techniques would help you in a situation that you describe.

But as many people have said before, the most important isn't maybe the style you practice it is the individual.

Also consider that Shorinji Kempo is more then technical practice, it also covers some philosophical aspects.

In Japan there is a total of about 2850 Shorinji Kempo branches, so it shouldn't be any problem to find a Shorinji Kempo branch there.

I don't if there is any Shorinji Kempo branch in your area (I don't know where, Monroe, LA is), but if it is look it up see what you think of a practice.

Anyway.

Good luck in your search for a Budo to practice.

Anders
<A href=”http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/">www.shorinji-kempo.org</A>

Lance
12th August 2000, 19:11
Thanks for your reply. The information is much needed.

Lance Clanton

luar
14th August 2000, 02:06
This is a good question and it leads me to ask this. Has anyone ever used their training in Shorinji to fend off an attack?

Anders Pettersson
14th August 2000, 12:27
Hi Luar.

Good question, but I think it deserves its own thread.
Why don't you post it again, in a new thread and also I want to remind you that it is the policy to use our full name when posting here on e-budo.
You can set it up as a signature file in your profile and then you don't have to think about it anymore.

Anders
<A href=”http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/">www.shorinji-kempo.org</A>