PDA

View Full Version : Resistance Training with PT Bands - Worth the effort?

Doug Daulton
17th July 2002, 06:03
I am investigating doing some conditioning using heavy-duty physical therapy bands as a resistance tool. In my judo days, we used old bike inner-tubes for drilling throw entries. So, I thought the idea might also apply to punching/kicking bag and makiwara drills.

Any perspective from folks who've tried this method would be appreciated ... as would links to any reasonably priced suppliers.

Thanks

Harry Cook
22nd July 2002, 01:05
Hello Doug,
I hope you are well. One of my students makes and sells equipment exactly as you describe. I have used it and found it quite useful, especially for kicking training; I use the heaviest bands when I kick a bag. I will get him to send you the information ASAP.
Harry Cook

Doug Daulton
24th July 2002, 18:13
Harry,

All is well here. Many thanks for the research and information. I look forward to it. I hope all is well in your corner of England.

Regards,

Doug

Harry Cook
25th July 2002, 21:08
Dear Mr. Mitchell,
I will get him to send both you and Doug the information as soon as we get back from Scotland. We are all off to the isle of Aran for our annual gasshuku, so assuming he is able to move you should both get the information within a week or so.
Yours,
Harry Cook

kenshorin
29th July 2002, 06:44
Doug -

I have used them for punching techniques in the past... I had really long bands and we had people grabbing opposite ends and punching in opposite directions, and it worked out really well. We do it now from time to time. I haven't really developed anything for use by individuals, though I have been trying to find a way to mount them without damaging the integrity of the bands.

Best,

Harry Cook
30th July 2002, 23:09
Dear Mr. Mitchell,
I haven't seen the magazine you mention, but if it includes my handsome features that will be the piece of equipment i was talking about!
Incidentally the gasshuku was very successful (Scottish weather notwithstanding), and we used the bands during the training.
Yours,
Harry Cook

uniquesport
20th August 2002, 13:06
Hi Mike and Doug,

I have sent you emails, but thought I would be safe and add to the thread. The item in question is called "Budo Sensei" and can be found on my site at www.uniquesport.com. You can see plenty of images of it in use, feedback from users and some demonstration movies.

Simply buy on line or contact me for further information and pricing if you want to buy more than one for your clubs etc.

Thanks for the interest and many thanks Harry for promoting it.