PDA

View Full Version : Joining the reserves?

Jody Holeton
18th July 2002, 02:24
Dear all,

Now that America is going through some tough times should we as responsible Americans and martial artists not sign up for the military or the reserves?

Has anyone here at e-budo ever been a reserve member?
I have read about the Army reserves but does the Marine Corps also have one? The Air Force?

Are the reserves even a good option?

How are the current affairs of the military nowadays?
I am hoping that Jeff Cook and Soulend will comment on this...

Any input would be appreciated!

Joseph Svinth
18th July 2002, 07:29
For information about the US military's reserve components, see http://www.defenselink.mil/ra/secondary/reservebranches.html .

Whether active or reserve, military service is neither a job nor an adventure. Instead, it is a calling. Be very careful about joining for the wrong reasons.

Chuck.Gordon
18th July 2002, 08:37
Hey Jody,

Long time no type ... you still in Japan?

I will echo Joseph's words and suggest that anyone considering a career (or even a short stint) in the military consider their actions carefully.

It's not a casual committment, despite what many recruits would like.

And never fear, even in today's turbulent climate, trust that if the US military needs you that badly, you'll know about it.

That being said, joining the military, for the right reasons, can be a powerful experience. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for my service and I would not be the person I am today were it not for the experiences that service provided -- good and bad.

And yes, all the US armed forces include reserve components (and in the case of the Army and Air Force, that also covers the National Guard as well as the regular reserves). Even the Coast Guard has a reserve component.

In today's highly fluid military environment, there is far less difference between the Reserve Components and the 'Regular Army' than there used to be. Many reserve and nat'l guard units are mobilized for months at the time to support the RA folks or to actually run specific missions.

Some years ago, you could join the NG or reserves and be pretty well assured that you'd do your one weekend a month and two weeks a year and never saddle up outside those drills. Not today.

Why SHOULD you join the military? As Joseph said, it's a calling.

Many join for college bennies, for travel, for adventure, etc. And lots of those folks become good troops, too. But you should do your research, be well aware of the risk and downsides as well as the advantages. Quite often the recruiters WON'T talk much about the downside unless you know the right questions.

What are the right questions? Hard to say. They'll vary widely depending on service branch, MOS (job you choose), etc.

In the current climate, it'd be easy for some to run to the recruiter's office and join up to go kill an Al Qaeda, but folks need to think about the impact of enlistment and make sure they're not just responding to a knee-jerk reaction.

I know you've spoken about joining the military for some time, Jody, and I'd encourage you to explore your options. If you so decide, and you go in with open eyes and clear head, it could be a wonderful thing for you, but make sure you're doing the right thing for YOU.

And in the meantime, here's a little military humor:

During a field training exercise, a young lieutenant was driving down a muddy back road when he encountered another car stuck in the mud with a red-faced colonel at the wheel.

"Your jeep stuck, sir?" asked the lieutenant as he pulled alongside

"Nope," replied the colonel, coming over and handing him the keys. "Yours is."

On some air bases the Air Force is on one side of the field and civilian aircraft use the other side of the field, with the control tower in the middle.

One day the tower received a call from an aircraft asking, "What time is it?" The tower responded, "Who is calling?"

The aircraft replied, "What difference does it make?"

The tower replied "It makes a lot of difference. If it is an American Airlines flight, it is 3 o'clock. If it is an Air Force plane, it is 1500 hours. If it is a Navy aircraft, it is 6 bells. If it is an Army aircraft, the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 3. If it is a Marine Corps aircraft, it's Thursday afternoon."

Officer: Soldier, do you have change for a dollar? Soldier: Sure, buddy.

Officer: That's no way to address an officer! Now let's try it again.

Soldier, do you have change for a dollar? Soldier: No, SIR!

Q: How do you know if there is a fighter pilot at your party?
A: He'll tell you.

Q: What's the difference between God and fighter pilots?
A: God doesn't think he's a fighter pilot.

Q: What's the difference between a fighter pilot and a jet engine?
A: The engine stops whining when the plane shuts down.

Three Marines were walking through the forest when they came upon a set of tracks. The first Marine said, Those are deer tracks." The second Marine said, "No, those are elk tracks." The third Marine said "You're both wrong, those are moose tracks." The Marines were still arguing when the train hit them.

A chief and an admiral were sitting in the barbershop. They were both just getting finished with their shaves and the barbers were reaching for the after-shave.

The admiral said, "Hey, don't put that stuff on me! My wife will think I've been in a whorehouse!"

The chief turned to his barber and said, "Go ahead and put it on. My wife doesn't know what the inside of a whorehouse smells like."

"Well," snarled the tough old sergeant to the bewildered private. "I suppose after you get discharged from the Army, you'll just be waiting for me to die so you can come and spit on my grave." "Not me, Sarge!" the private replied. "Once I get out of the Army, I'm never going to stand in a long line again.

Chuck

Soulend
18th July 2002, 13:23
Hi Jody. Just stumbled across this. Yes, the Marine Corps also has a reserve component. The reserve can be a good option for some people, many are college students, former active duty, or simply folks that have a good full-time job already but still want to be a Marine. It isn't for everyone though. If you have any questions, please drop me a line. As I was a recruiter not too long ago, I am familiar with most of the programs, etc.

Jeff Cook
18th July 2002, 17:44
Heck, I joined for the great chow and the beautiful Army chicks.....

I can't add anything to this topic; y'all nailed it!

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

IchiRiKen1
6th August 2002, 03:45
Been in ten years, and still have yet to find either of those perks...

:D

Laotse
6th August 2002, 05:19
My nephew (almost 21) is going in the reserves next month. He was in boot camp to be a Regular last year when he re-broke a foot he had injured in a mosh pit incident; they let him go. After 9/11, they called him back, but he is opting for reserves instead. He wants the college bennies and wants to go FBI eventually. Any thoughts about what he has to look forward to? I have a feeling he'll end up in Iraq.

tcasella
6th August 2002, 13:43
Echoing everything everyone else has said...One thing that I will add is that the Reservists are very busy nowadays. As stated in an earlier reply, depending on the MOS you chose, you could find yourself doing things ranging from pulling entry control guard to deploying with/near forward troops. Don't think I broke any OPSEC rules... However, the experience is something you won't forget. You may want to talk to some of the military guys "off-line" or in "private message" format if you want more info. Good Luck

Mitch Saret
9th August 2002, 20:15
If you make the choice to enlist do your research first so you get the job you want. Having had my 20 year career cut short by 16 years, (although I did get a nice pin with George Washington's profile on it!) I can't talk about current conditions.

However, I can tell you that historically, the reserves have been in every major conflict since WWI. President Truman was an Army Reserve Captain when he was called to France in that war.

Remember during the buildup for Desert Storm when many infantry reserve soldiers were whining that they joined the reserves for college money, and never expected to have to go anywhere? Several tried to sue the government and the army, but thank god (9th circuit cout of appeals isn't around, are they?) they did nmot succeed.

Good Luck in your Decision!

Formerly Sergeant in
CSC 3BN Airborne 325 Infantry
82D Airborne

Jody Holeton
10th August 2002, 03:05
Dear Mitch,

I just wrote you an e-mail and I forgot about Dave "the rock" Michelson. Do you know him?

Me and Dave just got done with grad school. He was Airborne too!

Suing the government for being a soldier! Only in America!

I just got done talking with my girl and she wants to join the Marines!

Anybody (I'm hoping Soulend will reply) have any prep advice? I'm looking at being in Japan another year and I need to get in shape!

Should I look into getting a decent rifle and practicing when I get back to the states?
Whats a decent rifle? .223 Armalite? Bushmaster? Colt?
The new model 710 Remington looks sweet....

Joseph Svinth
10th August 2002, 08:01
Physical fitness. Get where you can do 80 pushups in 2 minutes, 80 situps in 2minutes, 20 pullups (no time limit, but no dropping off the bar or swinging/kipping), and run 3 miles in boots in under 18 minutes (all done concurrently), and recruit training will be significantly less stressful. If you're also doing the Marines, then also learn to swim half an hour or so in clothes (no boots).

If you want to shoot, get a .22LR or a top-end airgun and then start busting caps. Lots cheaper, and the skills are the same.

N8y5000
14th August 2002, 09:16
Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
For information about the US military's reserve components, see http://www.defenselink.mil/ra/secondary/reservebranches.html .

Be very careful about joining for the wrong reasons.

The mark of a good man is that would die for his country. The mark of a great man is that he would live for his country.

I say let the rockets fly and not the bodies.

Nate Hallum

Mitch Saret
14th August 2002, 20:15
Thanks for writing me jody.

The name doesn't sound familiar, but remember, there were about 65 guys in my platoon. Not to mention, 150 to 200 in my company. Multiply that by all of the 82D Airborne and I didn't know that many of them.

Besides, I ETS'd (discharged, actually End Tenure of Service) in early December of '83, after extending my service for a month becuase of Grenada, and planning on re-upping upon return. Then of course getting hurt and told I was being medically discharged. Aarrgh!

Good luck however you decide to pursue it!

Jody Holeton
5th September 2002, 06:17
Dear all,

Just found this on military fitness requirements:

http://www.thesportjournal.org/VOL2NO2/STRONG.HTM

Mr.Svinth,
Don't you mean 28 minutes? Please tell me it an't 3 miles in 18 minutes!!!! I can make it under 28 but 18!!!
Maybe those new Marine boots kick ass!!

Soulend
5th September 2002, 08:23
Jody, 28 minutes is the maximum time allowed. 18 minutes or less is a perfect score. To be honest, while getting in the best possible shape is good, I wouldn't sweat not being able to get a perfect score in each event of the PFT (which is run in shorts, t-shirt, and running shoes- not boots).

To go to boot camp, and in accordance with Marine Corps Order (MCO) P1100.72B, all one must really be able to pass is an IST (initial strength test), which for males is

1. Run 1.5 miles in 13:30 or less

2. do a whole entire 35 sit-ups (actually crunches) in 2 minutes

3. perform a whopping 2 dead-hang pull-ups

For your girl, she will have to flexed-arm hang for 12 seconds instead of the pull-ups, and run a mile in 10:30 or less instead of the male standard. I believe the crunches are the same for both male and female.

While recruiting I found that one of the biggest misconceptions is that they are going to expect you to be some sort of Charles Atlas/Carlos Hathcock when you show up at recruit training. You will start out slow while getting acclimatized and will build on your physical fitness level gradually. By all means, try to get in as good a shape possible, but if you're still not Boston Marathon material, don't worry about it, as long as you can get respectably above the minimum on the IST, if not the PFT.

Likewise, I wouldn't sweat marksmanship either. I don't know how much experience you have shooting, Jody, but just about any PMI (primary marksmanship instructor) will tell you that most of their best shooters were folk that never handled a weapon in their lives (mostly females, too!). This is because those that are unfamiliar with rifles have no bad habits to unlearn, and listen to instruction more closely, instead of thinking "yeah, yeah, I know how to shoot". They will teach you everything you need to know. But if you want to practice, I would suggest a nice .22, like Mr. Svinth suggested, rather than paying a fortune for an AR-15. Focus on breath control, stock weld, cheek weld, and sight alignment.

Feel free to drop me a line at craikdf@2mawbft.usmc.mil if you have any questions (I can't access my Hotmail out here).

Jody Holeton
6th September 2002, 02:33
I was kind of worried there for a second!

3 miles in 18 minutes! I would have shin splints from hell!

I just got an e-mail from an Army Reserve recruiter in Japan! They have recruiters in Japan!

BTW on my BJJ and the Army thread Mr. Svinth put some COOL articles on the new Marine MA training. I think the spirit of Donn Draeger is trying to tell me something!:D

Thanks again!