PDA

View Full Version : Performance Diagnostic Trinity and Shotokan's "Red Triangle"

AmerROSS
18th July 2002, 17:20
Dear Ebudoka,
On Gmattson's forum, a poster apprised me of the similarity of my Performance Diagnostic Trinity in Flow-Fighting: Mental Toughness for Martial Arts and Combat Sports (http://www.RMAX.tv/flowfight.html) and the 3 K's of Shotokan's "Red Triangle:" Kata, Kihon and Kumite.

http://www.RMAX.tv/images/pdt3.gif

Practice refering to skill development.

Training refering to physical attribute development.

Competition referring to toughness development as a result of confronting uncooperative, fully-resistant opponent(s) in the crucible of force-on-force scenarios.

A poster stated this held similarity to Kata (Rehearsal), Kihon (Conditioning), and Kumite (Fighting).

Could anyone please add their opinion as to the accuracy of these comments?

Secondly, if accurate, could anyone please provide resources as to the originator of this "Red Triangle" in Shotokan (or any other sources)? I frequently provide peak performance training seminars and workshops for martial artists from various styles. To be able to wed my Performance Diagnostic Trinity to concepts already incumbent within their styles would aid me greatly.

Thank you in advance.
Scott Sonnon
RMAX Performance Solutions
RMAX.tv (http://www.RMAX.tv)

Jeff Cook
18th July 2002, 18:07
Scott,

I have never heard of the Shotokan red triangle, but I can tell you that training precepts are pretty much the same throughout fighting arts. Especially if those arts have produced proven and tested successful fighters.

The only thing that really seems to change is the labeling of the training principles.

For instance, learning the basic stances and defensive and offensive tools is usually the first step in any fighting system. Karate refers to these as kihon waza.

Next you learn basic combinations: putting together the moves in a sequence. This is loosely referred to in Japanese systems as kata. Kata are nothing more than training drills of various levels of sophistication and combat applicability (some drills are NOT designed as logical sequences of combative movement, but rather as an exercise to develop one dynamic aspect of such movement). Kata can be done solo (shadow boxing, traditional forms) or with a partner (randori-no-kata, various kumite kata, taezu naru waza [continuous motion forms, or flow drills]), etc. Anytime one or more moves is practiced repetitively, it can properly be referred to as kata, whether it is done alone or with a partner.

The next step would be combat with an opponent with rules for relative safety - jiyu kumite (free-fighting), randori (free exchange of techniques), shiai ("mutual death," referring to mutual combat in judo, much the same as jiyu kumite in karate).

All of these training steps are basic steps designed to teach a combatant fighting skills, spontaneity, flow, creativity, proper economic application of power, mental flexibility and mental toughness.

So I would have to agree with the comments you put forth, but unfortunately I do not know the originator of the "red triangle." The best way to meld your training precepts with those of traditional systems would be to read some source material on those systems. When you give your clinics, it would greatly assist in capturing your participant's attention if they realize that you have an understanding of their system's training background, and can draw parallels to what they are already accustomed to.

Ultimately though, you will find that it is all the same, with many ways of expressing the exact same thing.

I and my partner use this approach at our seminars; it helps to open the minds of the participants to what we are doing.

Feel free to contact me via email if you would like to brainstorm on this topic. My email is wabujitsu@att.net.

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu