PDA

View Full Version : Performance Diagnostic Trinity and Shotokan's "Red Triangle"

AmerROSS
18th July 2002, 20:06
Cross-posted from Close-Quarters Combat forum, in the event that this forum is more appropriate to the query. Thank you - S.S.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ebudoka,
On Gmattson's forum, a poster apprised me of the similarity of my Performance Diagnostic Trinity (pictured below) in URL=http://www.RMAX.tv/flowfight.html]Flow-Fighting: Mental Toughness for Martial Arts and Combat Sports[/URL] and the 3 K's of Shotokan's "Red Triangle:" Kata, Kihon and Kumite.

http://rmax.tv/images/pdt3.gif

Practice refering to skill development.

Training refering to physical attribute development.

Competition referring to toughness development as a result of confronting uncooperative, fully-resistant opponent(s) in the crucible of force-on-force scenarios.

A poster stated this held similarity to Kata (Rehearsal), Kihon (Conditioning), and Kumite (Fighting).

Could anyone please add their opinion as to the accuracy of these comments?

Secondly, if accurate, could anyone please provide resources as to the originator of this "Red Triangle" in Shotokan (or any other sources)? I frequently provide peak performance training seminars and workshops for martial artists from various styles. To be able to wed my Performance Diagnostic Trinity to concepts already incumbent within their styles would aid me greatly.

Thank you in advance.
Scott Sonnon
RMAX Performance Solutions
RMAX.tv (http://www.RMAX.tv)

Michael Clarke
25th July 2002, 14:10
I'm no expert on Shotokan, but the only 'Red Triangle' I've ever heard of in that system, is the name of the famous Red Triangle dojo in Liverpool, England.
It took it's name from the fact that the dojo was started at the YMCA, which as I'm sure you know, has a red triangle as its logo.
Started back in the 1960s (?) it has produced some of Europes top Shotokan karate-ka.
If there is another 'Red Triangle' associated with the style, I'm sure you'll get to hear about it soon.
All the best,
Mike Clarke.

Tommy_P
25th July 2002, 15:30
Michael,

Don't bother trying to figure out the answer to this question.

I honestly think it's a ploy to advertise his site. Another marketing tool. He's looking for converts;)

Tommy

Michael Clarke
25th July 2002, 21:47
Thanks Tommy.
Gee, you do your best to help a guy !!!!!
Mike Clarke.

AmerROSS
26th July 2002, 22:38
Tomm_P,

I'm unsure who you claim to be, but don't misrepresent my words. Anyone whom chooses to check my posting history to this forum would discover that I have only contributed to this forum selflessly of my professional and personal obligations. Any doubting this check with the E-Budo.com's CQC forum moderator, Matt Larsen, as to my credentials and character.

Take your venerable 18 posts, and go troll somewhere else.

Michael,

Thank you for the reference. Actually, on GMattson's forum, I believe the same school was referenced, but stating that the stimulus for the Red Triangle actually alluded to these "Three Ks".

Regards,
Scott Sonnon
www.RMAX.tv

Michael Clarke
27th July 2002, 12:36
Scott,
Okay, I'm just trying to be nice for a change :)
I have friends who trained at the Liverpool dojo I mentioned, and that's how come I know about the connection with the YMCA.
As for the 'Three Ks'. Well you might be right there? but it seems to me that almost all (if not every?) Japanese 'Traditional' karate systems use Kihon, Kata, and Kumite as their standard teaching methods.
My experience of Okinawan karate is that they focus more on Kata and the concepts encoded withing them, and spend less time marching up and down the dojo. I'm generalizing here of course, based on my own experiences over three decades.
Of course the problem with a lot of martial arts is that many students become good at the training, and not the fighting method they are trying to learn.
Anyway, I hope you get the info you're looking for.
Mike Clarke.

Tommy_P
27th July 2002, 16:44
Originally posted by AmerROSS
I'm unsure who you claim to be, but don't misrepresent my words. Anyone whom chooses to check my posting history to this forum would discover that I have only contributed to this forum selflessly of my professional and personal obligations. Any doubting this check with the E-Budo.com's CQC forum moderator, Matt Larsen, as to my credentials and character.

Take your venerable 18 posts, and go troll somewhere else.

Mr. Sonnon
If I was mistaken then I offer my sincere appologies.

Tommy

AmerROSS
27th July 2002, 18:21
Michael, thank you for input. I've found in the seminars I've conducted, assessing the curricular needs of various schools, that certain instructors emphasize training, practice or competition over the other two, depending upon each instructor's pedagogical orientation. It's an interesting diagnostic, but even moderation must be moderated: sometimes imbalance creates balance over the course of an instructor's career.
Hopefully, we can have others enjoin this thread.

Tommy, thank you.

Regards,
Scott Sonnon
www.RMAX.tv