PDA

View Full Version : Improvise with fish

Don Gwinn
20th July 2002, 07:53
OK, I gots to drop some weight. In fact, I gots to drop a LOT of weight. I've been eating well the last few weeks and training hard. I'd like to do something with all the fish I have on hand, but everything except my family's traditional preparation just seems boring. The problem is that our traditional preparation is to roll filets in milk and pancake mix and deep fry 'em. One can sit and eat this kind of "popcorn fish" for an hour, but I can only imagine what it's doing to my body.

What would you do with small filets of very delicate, smooth-flavored panfish? Most of what I have in the freezer is crappie, bluegill, and largemouth bass--but the Japanese are experts on fish, right?

I'd like to grill it but I don't want tough, dry fish jerky with no flavor. What would a Japanese cook do if he wanted something quick, simple, and light but still flavorful?

Larry Hairgrove
21st July 2002, 05:40
Dude do not roll fish in pancake batter?Try some Texas Louisianna or Missippi Fish fry dude.Pancake fish, that is only a thing to be found up north.I dont even want to know how yall cook gumbo!Dude do you boil craw fish in transmission oil?

BigJon
21st July 2002, 14:29
Dude, dude. Jon Gillespie

Larry Hairgrove
22nd July 2002, 05:51
I do not mean to disrespect yall northern folks.Just use lots of cayenne.

mamboking
22nd July 2002, 14:26
Cut it up into small pieces and boil it with some lemon (only a minute or two). Then put it on ice and eat it like shrimp cocktail.

At least that's what I do with perch in Ohio.

Don Gwinn
22nd July 2002, 17:14
I don't eat crawfish, dude. Grandpa fries 'em in a pan. I love the way fish tastes done the way I was taught, I just don't think it's too healthy. I don't think different batter is going to make that much difference. Crawfish are too much work for too little food.
And remember, we don't care how you do it down there! :D

Cold fish on ice? I'll give it a shot, but. . . hmm. Just for you, I'll try it.

I was hoping for something like a marinade to grill with, preferably one that doesn't involve soaking the fish in butter.

tote
25th July 2002, 08:51
Try:

- Grill with a little olive oil, white wine, parsley and other herbs. Wrap in foil to avoid dryness.

- Sear fillets both sides with a very little vegetable oil and a hot pan. Japanese style is to then let this simmer a minute or so with teriyaki sauce or like, and serve on rice.

- Cook tomatoes, garlic, onions, thyme, chilli, and perhaps greens like bok-choy or cabbage all together with a little vegetable oil. Cut fish into small pieces and add, let cook so fish flakes apart and is mixed throughout sauce. Serve with rice, pasta, or just by itself.

- Anything steamed. Some sort of fish soup perhaps?

- Sashimi

kenkyusha
25th July 2002, 23:25
Hi there,

One thing that works well is cooking it in parchment paper envelopes. A bit of lemon, some white wine, kosher salt, pepper and fresh herbs. Kinda French though.

Broiling (skin-side down) w/some soy and sake or mirin (sweetened cooking sake) for a while. Just before fully cooked, mix some wasabi, honey and soy to a paste and brush on. 3 minutes under the broiler and the paste will bubble and turn into a wonderful thing.

Also, a bit of spinach, basalmic vinegar and sesame seeds, make balls or rolls out of the cooked (wilted or pulled, then wilted, season slightly w/salt), cooled (and drained) spinach. Coat w/the sesame seeds. Use the spinach water (don't add any as spinach will extrude tons) to poach the fish. Season to taste.

Hope some of those hold some appeal.

Be well,
Jigme

hyaku
26th July 2002, 03:46
Rawfish! Or soused in vinegar.

Or, just put fish in foil with a tiny bit of butter, a big spoon of water and any goodies and spices you might like and steam it. No need for an oven. Just drop the parcel in a heavy frying pan.

There should enough natural oil in the fish to cook it without adding too much more.

How about lemon stuffing? Breadcrumbs, lemon juice, grated lemon peel, herbs spices. Stuff and grill.

Mmm sushi for me tonight.

Hyakutake Colin

Moniteur
7th August 2002, 21:25
Hmm... lets see..

Crappie and Bass.. light, firm fleshed, freshwater, clean tasting..

If you have a smoker, fire it up... rub a little olive oil and the spices of your choice on the fish, and smoke it..

Ceviche is certainly possible, there is a mexican restaurant near where I live that does ceviche with catfish, lemon, and cilantro; however, I would be wary of noncooked freshwater fish. Note that sashimi is, pretty much without exception made from saltwater species. If someone can come up with examples of raw freshwater fish used in Japan, I'd love to hear it, as well as love to hear what to look for in regards to freshwater parasites, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that its not done, or not done much.

One beautiful thing you can do is simmer the fish very gently in white wine, with some lemon and pepper. Adding minced garlic would be a nice touch.

I would avoid red wine, as it may overpower the fish.

Herbs are a great thing. Lots and lots of herbs. Cajun seasoning and a little olive oil mixed together and rubbed on, then popped under the broiler is good. The same can be done with fajita seasoning.

You might look up a recipe for a New England Boiled Dinner as well, and see if you can adapt that to your liking, lots of fish and veggies there.

Back to the Japanese, miso paste is great - both as miso soup, and spread onto fish in a thin layer on one side, before you broil, is also outstanding.

or... Poach the fish in dashi, remove the fish, add udon noodles to the broth, cook an egg in with it if you want, maybe some seeweed or other veggies that strike your fancy, then return the fish to it and serve.

I hope these suggestions, in addition to the suggestions of others here, will get you on track towards a more varied preparation of fish.

Chris

Soulend
7th August 2002, 21:57
You could try using what we do often down here with firm-fleshed ocean fish fillets (espescially shark). Marinate in Italian dressing for about 2 or 3 hours and then grill the fillets wrapped in foil. You can also brush on some more as it cooks..don't be shy. Keep them good and moist, and don't overcook. Fish cooks very quickly, so watch the heat..

I have never done this with freshwater panfish, but channel cat, sea bass, and shark fillets come out wonderfully! Don't see why it wouldn't be equally tasty with bass and bream.

Now, you did ask about Japanese recipes..check out this page, it should give you some ideas:

http://japanesefood.about.com/cs/seafoodfish/

uglyelk
9th August 2002, 03:27
Try cooking it on the BBQ on a plank.

I won't put eveyone to sleep with cooking methods and receipes.

Type planked salmon into a search engine. That will give you the method and some ideas.

Alder or hickory planks might add a nice flavour too your fish.

A Maple Borbon Glaze of a Lite Terriaki Glaze might be a nice change.Rice wine with ginger and honey works well too.

Good luck!

Laird