PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a practise partner

Sam
22nd July 2002, 11:58
In the dojos I attend I do not have the option of selecting a training partner - we line up and practise in turn.
However at seminars, the selection of partner is sometimes free and also a lot of dojos seem to practise this way.
I want to ask if you think that being able to choose your training partner affects your aikido developement?
For example it is possible to avoid ever training with one individual for whatever reason - is this good or bad? Or there may be the temptation to train with one person you like more than others, or has better ukemi, or emables you to test yourself etc etc.

Mike Williams
22nd July 2002, 12:39
If I get the choice at seminars, I will try and grab the highest ranked person I can to train with. Failing that, I will go for people who are bigger/heavier than me (since my regular training partner is smaller/lighter) - that way I feel I learn the most.

Although that sounds quite selfish (pity the poor black belt who has a know-nothing like me latch onto them :) ), actually I'm not that fussy and learn something from most training partners.

But I do like the harder workout and challenges that you only get from those more skilled than yourself.

Cheers,

Mike
(not an aikidoka, hope you don't mind)

JimmyCrow
22nd July 2002, 16:06
Sam

I practice aikido at two different aikido dojos and we don't choose our partners at either one. We are encouraged to work with everyone in class so you get a good idea how each technique works on all kinds of body types. I must say I agree with Mike that I always learn more working with a student who is more senior than myself. The inverse to that, however, is that you should also spend time working with those with less experience than you so you are giving as much as you are getting (yin / yang). In a perfect world you would be in a class where everyone outranks you and all take perfect ukemi for you. You and I know however that it is usually the inverse.

As far as seminars go I just try my luck with different partners until I find one that I like working with. At seminars I wouldn't care if all my training partners were less experienced than me as long as they were there to truly learn. What I hate are the people (usually shodans and above) who come to seminars to learn something “new” and insist on doing every technique the way “they were taught to do it” rather than the way it is being demonstrated. Right about then I start looking for a white belt with an good attitude and a open mind.

:smilejapa

Phil Farmer
22nd July 2002, 17:06
I like what both of the people before me had to say. That is especially true since one of them trains at my dojo. Be that as it may, I agree that as often as possible you should try to find the highest ranked person in the room. A good black belt never minds when a white belt (or anyone)"latches onto" them. I have the same issues that Jimmy referred to. I want to work with someone who challenges me when I go to a seminar, but as you go further up the scale the opportunities grow smaller and then you have to learn from teaching. As Jimmy pointed out, that is also a responsibility, to teach those behind you. It is also a great way to learn your techniqes. The secret of being a good instructor and running a good dojo is finding that balance where students are getting and giving in a balanced manner. I confess that I do not always get it right but I always keep it in mind for each student. You should always find people to train with that are not like your usual training partner. See if your technique works on a big person, a quick person, a short person, etc. Its what learning is all about.

hix
23rd July 2002, 07:49
In our dojo we can choose our partners. I used to feel that I always wanted to train with the highest students, but lately I have found I work different techniques with partners.
When I feel I know the technique, but I am lacking hard practice in it, I find our dojocho to work with. When a new technique is introduced I find someone close to my level. When the technique is pretty much understood, but far from mastered, I feel comfortable working with a lower rank student. Oh yeah, also when I'm dead tired from getting thrown around by the dojocho.

But I always avoid the guys who think they are the Sensei.

Yoroshiku:smilejapa