PDA

View Full Version : Yanagi ryu and Daito ryu?

BigJon
24th July 2002, 02:32
I was curious how Yanagi ryu is related to Daito Ryu. Does one come from the other, or are they both independant of each other? Thanks for your help! Jon Gillespie

Walker
24th July 2002, 06:47
Best info is that they are independent. Yanagi ryu is a family style. A former head was an associate of Takeda Sokaku and taught Daito ryu in Tokyo after the war. It seems he did not teach his family art publicly. Yanagi ryu was passed to his son who spent the war in the US and never returned to Japan. He passed the art to Don Angier after the war.

BigJon
24th July 2002, 12:59
So Yanagi ryu developed alongside Daito ryu? Interesting...do you know where I can get some more info on this art? I have read Don Angier's Bio, but I am more interested on how this art developed outside of Daito Ryu. So I am correct in saying that it is considered a Aikijujitsu style? Are their similiar techniques? Thanks again for the response. Jon Gillespie

Walter Kopitov
24th July 2002, 14:04
Don Angier Will be conducting a seminar at

The Self Defense Center of Westchester
95 Croton Avenue
Ossining, New York 10562
USA

Begins: Sep 21, 2002 @ 10:00 am
Ends: Sep 22, 2002 @ 5:00 pm

more info http://nihongoshinaikido.com/

Walker
24th July 2002, 16:57
Originally posted by Jon G.
So Yanagi ryu developed alongside Daito ryu? Interesting...do you know where I can get some more info on this art? I have read Don Angier's Bio, but I am more interested on how this art developed outside of Daito Ryu. So I am correct in saying that it is considered a Aikijujitsu style? Are their similiar techniques? Thanks again for the response. Jon Gillespie
I don’t know about “along side” but the two arts are separate arts. Yanagi ryu is a Sogo Budo that includes a full curriculum so you could say it is more correctly termed Aiki Bugei. Daito ryu does not have much of a weapons curriculum, but is associated with Itto ryu kenjutsu. All jujutsu styles have techniques which are similar to a greater or lesser extent. The two arts have techniques and applications which are not found in the other.

BigJon
24th July 2002, 17:01
Doug, thanks for the information. I figure guys like Don Angier have forgotten more than I will learn! Jon Gillespie

Richard Elias
24th July 2002, 20:09
Yeah... what Doug said.:rolleyes:

Joe Neal
28th July 2002, 08:16
For any one still istening. I've studied at the Hombu for almost 6 years. I believe the art did develop seperately. There may have been some influence from Daito Ryu somewhere but whether that came from Yoshida Kotaro or Don, I cannot honestly say.