PDA

View Full Version : Kuniba Shogo Sensei's Iaido

ghp
25th July 2002, 02:20
Regarding Kuniba sensei's teachings, I learned Mugai Ryu in 1970-72 from Mr. Al Church, who learned from Kuniba sensei ca. 1968-69. Although Kuniba sensei's kata are (were?) from the Mugai Ryu syllabus, I note that the 1969 menjo from Kuniba sensei to Mr. Church refers to it simply as "Seishinkan Iaido", and the menjo mentions the training occured at the Seishinkan Kokusai Sogo Budo Renmei.

The same format is used on another menjo issued by Kuniba sensei sometime around 1983 (I'll have to look at it again to verify the date). The newer menjo identifies the organization as "Seishinkan Kokusai Sogo Budo Renmei" and refers to the iaido as "Seishinkan Iaido."

The kata I learned from Mr. Church were definitely Mugai Ryu (Shin, Ren, Sa, Yu, Sha). However, when I corresponded with the owner of the second menjo, I got the impression that Kuniba sensei applied his own interpretation to the kata, and they were, perhaps no longer the same. If someone knows for sure the kata are or are not the same as Mugai Ryu, please let me know.

Regarding the first menjo mentioned -- a photocopy of it was just discovered this week and it can be viewed at http://www.shindenkan.com/ . Go to the left margin and click on the "Shindenkan" button, then in the body of text is a link "Teaching Authorization" -- When that page opens, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page -- it's a "dirty" copy, but still legible if you know what to look for. It is a sandan menjo and uses the other "san" -- not the three horizontal lines [New Nelson #8], but the one used on cashier's checks [New Nelson #666].

Regards,
Guy

ghp
25th July 2002, 02:24
Rats!!! I hit the wrong button. This should be a "Respond", not "New Thread".

Disregard it. I tried to delete the thing, but it just wouldn't die!