PDA

View Full Version : Drugs and soldiers.

Benjamin Peters
25th July 2002, 01:45
What are your thoughts on using steroids to enhance fitness/build/mindset for the armed forces?

tcasella
25th July 2002, 07:50
Hmmm...I think countries are doing this to some extent...

Joseph Svinth
25th July 2002, 11:28
Militaries have been chemically enhancing soldiers for thousands of years. (Think alcohol, or the cannibis that Herodotus described as part of standard Central Asian war preparation.) The Bavarian Army issued cocaine to soldiers in the 1880s, and during WWII, legal speed freaks included the truck drivers of the Red Ball Express. During the 1950s, the Army tested LSD-25 on soldiers, and Walter Reed Army Medical Center is publishing articles about how steroids are useful during organ transplants.

Management doesn't want you self-medicating, but if they give it to you, then evidently everything is okay.

INFINOO
25th July 2002, 16:56
Benjamin Peters: I asked "my pharmacist" who happens to be my wife, about her veiw of anobloic steroids for so called "performance inhancing capabilities" for the military. I knew what she was going to say before I asked the question, but you might find her answer interesting. She said if your talking about Anabolic steroids you got to be kidding. Only if, mood swings, irrational thought process and "Roid rages" are disirirable affects for a soldier who is fighting for are country:rolleyes:. She also mentioned the issues of long term organ damage(kidneys, liver), a higher risk of cancer and "limp chimp":eek:.
We also had a little laugh about an "incident" several years ago when we were just dating and we had a rather nasty encounter with a steroid freak at my wifes fitness club. This sweatshirt hooded steroid freak 5'10 250 pounds wanted to twist my head off for me making eye contact with him in "his gym". My wife saw his dirty look he gave me when we walked in and whispered to me when we passed him "whats his problem" I said " I thinks it's me" It didnt take long for the situation to escalate. I was minding my own business just finishing some chin ups, when he came up to and asked me if "I had a problem" then before I had time to answer he started to aproach me with clenched fist. Before I knew it "he walked into my foot". It sent him back peddling a good 15 feet accross the gym, but my 3/4 power front kick to his stomach just pissed him off.(see what happens when you try to be nice) He yells "you hit me" I said "Ya, and if you dont stay the fu*k away from me I will do it again". Im not sure why but when I looked around Everyone riding there stationary bikes on the second floor stopped peddling . So he clenches his fist and starts to walk towards me again, and again, Im pointing at him saying "stay the fu*K away from me,Im warning you" but he just continued to walk right into my fist with his face. Im not sure if it was the "Roids" or that I was taller than him or if this guy was just stupid, but the whole incident left a bad taste in mouth about the use of steroids, not to mention a nice moon shaped scare on my ring finger from his tooth(went for nose but, he snapped his head back at the last moment:(
Any way, we found out later that when the cops showed up (he called them crying "some big guy hit me") after we took off, When the police showed up talked to the witness and the gyms manager who saw the whole thing they didnt even need to talk to me:cool:. But they did run his name on the computer and did arrested him for a outstanding warrent for assalt. Sometimes life is good. My wife says to me later "I cant take you any where:(". Go figure.
Just so you know, Im not saying, "everyone" who lifts weights and is big is a steroid freak. For instance I used to train with a a Canadain power lifting champion in his division who worked as a door man and "he" lifted clean and is a hell of a nice guy. So it "is" possible to be very strong and well balenced without the juice.

Regards

Gregory Rogalsky
Rogalsky Combatives International