PDA

View Full Version : Kuniba & Church: Certification

ghp
25th July 2002, 04:47
Sorry to be repetitive -- I'm only posting in the forums where interest had previously surfaced.
==============
If anybody is interested in the certificates and scroll that Shogo Kuniba presented Al Church, please go to this thread:
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/sho...?threadid=13010

Background. Kuniba sensei once wrote that he never recognized Al Church as a soke (Kamishin Ryu) saying, "[Al Church] assumed that title himself..."; nor did he ever give Mr. Church a ranking in Judo and Jujutsu. Kuniba's son also said the same thing in a letter to Blackbelt Magazine.

New information has come to light.

Regards,
Guy

MarkF
25th July 2002, 09:33
Linky no worky.

Try this one: http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=13010&highlight=kuniba+church

Mark

ghp
25th July 2002, 21:33
Thanks Mark!

--Guy

dingodog1
24th October 2003, 11:35
There are many schools in this area that have ties to Grandmaster Church. They are demanding,meticulous schools and have produced outstanding martial artists. Though this area(southeast)has hundreds of karateka who trace their lineage to Grandmaster Church, their black belts do not come easy. Their is a school here; Shorinji Toraken Kempo that has operated continuously for over 25 years and approximately 25 black belts have been earned.

CMM
24th October 2003, 22:50
"Their (sic) is a school here; Shorinji Toraken Kempo that has operated continuously for over 25 years and approximately 25 black belts have been earned."

How stupid. Why make the most basic level of proficiency so difficult to attain?

Iron Chef
25th October 2003, 00:29
Originally posted by CMM
How stupid. Why make the most basic level of proficiency so difficult to attain?
Why not?

Joseph Svinth
25th October 2003, 02:43
Information is required concerning the variable n: For all we know, there have been only 50 students in the past 25 years. (Lots of non-commercial dojo have only 1-3 students at a time.)

CMM
25th October 2003, 05:13
Agreed. I should've kept my yap shut, though--I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

dingodog1
17th November 2003, 07:39
In the past hasn't there been an annual gathering or loose affiliation of schools/orgs that have a common root of Albert Church's students as current masters or Grandmasters? With the exception of Master Sachornowski, do most of these schools acknowledge these roots and have amicable relationships? I know that there is some variance in curricula in these schools with some teaching kenjutsu,some identifying themselves with their Chinese martial ancestry but all share their Albert Church Kempo characteristics. Wouldn't there be more strength in larger non-binding affiliations and sharing/mentoring. I know there is some controversy of claims of past certs from 50 years ago and current disputes regarding contributions to masters of other organizations but Grandmaster Church's success is evident in the number and level of excellent martial artist who practice, teach and keep alive techniques and traditions that do not have their genesis in this century. The techniques and tactical applications have stayed current in regards to safety and self-defense and remain relevant in an ever increasingly perilous world. I am not presuming insight, just speculating based on the information I gleaned by reading this forum and websites on the internet. It was very thought provoking to learn of so prolific a martial artist with roots in this area. Any expansions, corrections or further thoughts on the subject are welcome. I apologize for any "faux pas" in advance.

dingodog1
26th February 2005, 03:02
Originally posted by CMM
"Their (sic) is a school here; Shorinji Toraken Kempo that has operated continuously for over 25 years and approximately 25 black belts have been earned."

How stupid. Why make the most basic level of proficiency so difficult to attain? :kiss:

Katsujinken
2nd March 2005, 23:26
Guy,

You say new information has come to light concerning the Kuniba- Church controversy, I am curious is this in addition to the information on the previous Kuniba Church thread posted here by Mark?

Regards