PDA

View Full Version : Okinawan and Hung Gar connection

Kevin73
26th July 2002, 05:26
I remember reading someplace (don't ask me to remember), that some of the old katas where derivatives of some hung gar katas. Such as, Seisan was derived from "Tempting the Tiger" form and Seiuchin was derived from "Tiger/Crane" form.

What I am curious about is, Hung Gar is also famous for it's bridging hand techniques, where these ideas also incorporated into Okinawan katas?

hakutsuru
26th July 2002, 11:32
A friend of mine had brought me to his sifu's school to train. After class my buddy was working with on of the junior students so i just went over by myself and worked on some kata. I was doing Sanseiryu (Uechi.) One of the students came up to me and said "Hey, you do Tiger style?"

I have never seen Hung Gar so I have no idea how it relates to Okinawa karate. I do teach "bridging hands" type techniques in Shorin-ryu.

Tommy Lane

Tatsu
27th July 2002, 01:21
Originally posted by Kevin73

What I am curious about is, Hung Gar is also famous for it's bridging hand techniques, where these ideas also incorporated into Okinawan katas?

Hmm, good question. I have never heard the term "bridging hands" used by the senseis I've studied under, but I bet that many of the principles for hand techs is the same. Hung Gar is also a crane derived style (Tiger/Crane), just like Okinawan karate. So at the least there is that connection. Later all...