PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating applying for JET

hobbitbob
28th July 2002, 07:51
has anyone here taught english in Japan in order to practice? How did it work out?

hyaku
28th July 2002, 12:23
It pays well. Don't expect to teach anything though.

Come over, be a pro gaijin, learn something about the country and enjoy your yourself.

There are chat rooms and homepages that will give you lots of info.

Hyakutake Colin

NumeroUno
28th July 2002, 18:53
Originally posted by hyaku
It pays well. Don't expect to teach anything though.

Come over, be a pro gaijin, learn something about the country and enjoy your yourself.

There are chat rooms and homepages that will give you lots of info.

Hyakutake Colin

Mr. Colin (if that is your last name?):

Could you explain what you mean by a pro gaijin and why not to expect to teach anything?

I've also thought I've wanted to go to Japan and experience the stuff there, but it never ends up panning out.

Thanks,

Rahul Bhattacharya

renfield_kuroda
29th July 2002, 02:17
I second Hyaku: I came over as an AET on JET 94-6, then switched to CIR.
The job is first and foremost about introducing foreign-ness (you/your culture) to Japanese students. If the job really was about teaching they'd hire real, qualified teachers, not anyone with a college degree.
Secondly, the program is about getting you to like Japan. Come over for a couple years, have a good time, learn Japanese a bit, and go home with a positive impression of Japan. Good for you, good for Japan.
Third, and not by any means insignificant, the JET program is a fantastic way to spend LOTS of money in localities. National and local spending for and related to the JET program is at worst pork barrel and at best a great way to share the wealth and create jobs evenly across Japan (local gov'ts get all kinds of money if they host JETs, JET seminars bring in millions for hotels, etc...)

If this sounds cynical it's b/c I am very cynical about the program, but I loved it and recommend it to everyone. Just keep in mind it is NOT, at all, ever, about teaching English, and you'll be fine. I found it a great way to learn Japanese very quickly and study martial arts.

Regards.

renfield kuroda

P.S. and I'm still in Japan!

29th July 2002, 03:53
Originally posted by hobbitbob
has anyone here taught english in Japan in order to practice? How did it work out?

Damn near everyone I know that does MA in Japan came over on the JET program or started as an English teacher.

For training purposes you can't beat it.
You finish work around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and plenty of free time to train and study Japanese.

You won't get a lot of serious teaching done (see other threads on this for more info) and you won't get to know "real" Japanese people by working in the Japanese school system because they are a species unto themselves but depending on your attitude and how long you stay you can get some good training in.

I am not sure if you can decide which city you want to work in on the JET program so you might get stuck in some podunk town that has nothing in the way of MA schools.

hobbitbob
29th July 2002, 03:54
Did you have much choice about where you went? How much previous experience had you with Japanese (I have three years of college Japanese) before you went? I'm hoping to go someplace near a dojo affiliated with either Kanazawa sensei, or with whatever is left of the JKA.

29th July 2002, 03:57
Did you have much choice about where you went? How much previous experience had you with Japanese (I have three years of college Japanese) before you went? I'm hoping to go someplace near a dojo affiliated with either Kanazawa sensei, or with whatever is left of the JKA.

Just out of curiosity why the JKA? And why Kanazawa?

hobbitbob
29th July 2002, 04:14
JKA because I've practiced mainly JKA style Shotokan for the last 21 years. kanazawa, because from what I have read he is among the most innovative of all of the former JKA instructors. I would also be quite happy learning Shito-ryu, which is apparently the most prevalent style in Japan. :)

29th July 2002, 04:23
JKA because I've practiced mainly JKA style Shotokan for the last 21 years. ,

The Tokyo honbu(s) would be the place for JKA.

kanazawa because from what I have read he is among the most innovative of all of the former JKA instructors.

Well he is certainly the most "gaijin friendly" that is for sure.
I know he promotes himself internationally really well.

I would also be quite happy learning Shito-ryu, which is apparently the most prevalent style in Japan. :)

I have never heard that is was the most prevalant.

hobbitbob
29th July 2002, 06:05
Was your experience good?

29th July 2002, 06:33
Was your experience good?

I am not sure what you mean.........

hobbitbob
29th July 2002, 07:04
Did you enjoy your time as a JET participant? Did you have ample time to train? Would you do it again?

29th July 2002, 07:10
Did you enjoy your time as a JET participant? Did you have ample time to train? Would you do it again?

I was actually never a JET. I was hired directly by the school board......less BS and better pay.
I worked right along side people that were JETs, some of them liked it some hated it and went home before their contract was done.

Enfield
29th July 2002, 23:46
Originally posted by Robert Rousselot
I am not sure if you can decide which city you want to work in on the JET program so you might get stuck in some podunk town that has nothing in the way of MA schools.I havn't done JET, I've looked into it and some friends have done it. You don't get to pick where you go, but you get to list three places in order of preference. The chances of going where you want are apparently pretty good if you don't list Tokyo or Osaka. However, I've been told you can get around that (at least sometimes) by listing a suburb or nearby city.

30th July 2002, 00:31
Learning goes both ways in JET program

By ERIC PRIDEAUX
Staff writer

I first came to Japan in 1991 as an English instructor with the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program and ended up staying twice as long as I originally planned. Here are some recollections from that period.

Dec. 14, 1990, Ithaca, N.Y.
Today I mailed in my application to the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program -- better known as JET -- to teach English to kids in the Japanese countryside for a year. My real dream is to become a journalist, but everybody knows you can't make a living as a writer -- especially right out of college. So a job with the Japanese government will do me good until I grow up and develop a plan.
I'm confident I stand a good chance of getting into JET. I've been studying Japanese on and off for half my life, and the Japanese-language course I'm taking here at school is one of the best in the world. I also study karate in Manhattan with a very traditional Japanese teacher. I've dreamt of going to Japan since I was a kid. JET must be dying for candidates like me!

But there is one thing I can't stop worrying about. I hear so much about Japan being a racist country. It was only five years ago that then Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone said America lagged behind Japan intellectually because of blacks and Hispanics. And there have been other comments. JET officials will know I'm black because of the photo on my application. I sure hope they don't share Nakasone's attitudes on race!

Feb. 2, 1991
I just got back from the JET program interview in Manhattan. One Japanese official asked me if, in the event I am selected, there is a particular city I'd like to stay in.
"Shinjo city," I said without hesitation. "It's where my karate 'sensei' (teacher), Kishi Nobuyuki, lives when he's in Japan."
"There is no such city as Shinjo," said the official.
"I believe you'll find it on the map. It's famous for its snow."
"Yes, well, we'll see what we can do."

Truth be told, I'm more excited about training with sensei than I am about teaching English. If JET sends me to Shinjo, it'll be a great opportunity to immerse myself in sensei's school and hometown. Shinjo city, here I come! I'm finally going to Japan -- to teach English and become the Karate Kid.

March 25, 1991
JET turned me down! OK, more accurately, they put me on standby. But why standby? I'm deeply insulted. Maybe all Japanese do think like Nakasone.
Or maybe I blew the interview. Either way, forget that country. Maybe I'll go to Brazil or Jamaica instead.

April 24, 1991
Yippee.
Got a call from JET this afternoon saying I was selected in the second round. They said they'd even station me in Shinjo.
Maybe I should be jumping for joy. But frankly, I'm still burning up about being put on standby. However, since the U.S. job market is so bad right now for recent college graduates, I guess I'll just go earn some money and get back to New York as soon as possible. We're talking a year over there, max.

July 31, 1991, Shinjo, Yamagata Prefecture
I visited the karate dojo today for the first time since arriving here two days ago. I walked through the door and Kishi-sensei was standing there scowling. He looked even fiercer than usual.
"Where on earth have you been? Why haven't you called yet?" he shouted. "I've been worried sick about you for two days!"

Startled, I muttered something about having to settle in and so on.

"Eric, don't make excuses. Be a man. Being a man means taking responsibility and showing consideration for the people who care about you. You should have called."

For crying out loud! When I started doing karate three years ago, I thought it was about becoming tough, not about eating humble pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sept. 18, 1991
I've gotten into the full swing of life as an English teacher. I work at five high schools around Shinjo: an all-girls school, an agricultural school, a school that teaches mechanical skills, one school for high achievers, and one that's, well, just a regular high school surrounded by rice paddies.
I dread going to the classroom, partly out of stage fright, partly from the exhaustion of training and drinking with the karate men. But more times than not, I manage to psych myself up enough to establish a rapport.

High school kids are a tough crowd to please. I must dance atop chairs and talk in funny voices. I put on stupid ties. I demonstrate how I poke and sniff things at the supermarket to figure out what I'm buying. Anything to keep them interested. Anything to keep me awake.

And when I hear the laughter and turn around to all those twinkling eyes, something magic happens inside me. By the time our 45 minutes are up, I don't want to leave.

Not too much grammar gets taught when I'm at the podium. The kids don't need me for that. I'm more ambassador than instructor.

April 19, 1992
Earlier this week, I moaned to somebody about having to walk so much between my apartment, my schools and the dojo. Somehow word got out.
The next morning before classes began, a student ran up pushing a bright new yellow bicycle.

"I heard you needed a bike, so you can have this one," she said. "My family already has two."

Being a cynical New Yorker, at first I tried to figure out the catch. Gradually, however, reality sank in. People in Shinjo are simply kind. They gossip, but they are very kind.

June 4, 1992
Class 1-3 at the all-girls school has been memorizing the patterns "I am against . . ." and "I am for . . ." in conjunction with environmental issues. Today, in lackadaisical unison, they chanted, "We are against cutting down trees. We are for eating rice." I split my sides.
I was again amused when, back at the teacher's office, homeroom instructor Horiuchi-sensei (not her real name) marched in clutching a toilet scrub brush and demanded to know whose it was.

"This yours?" she asked an English teacher.

"It is not," came the response.

Horiuchi-sensei put the other teachers on the spot but nobody acknowledged ownership. I wonder if she ever tracked down the owner of that scrub brush.

Sometimes I feel that life in Shinjo is one long, pleasant comedy.

Dec. 1, 1992
Today I was sipping tea in the principal's office with Onuma-sensei, an English teacher at the all-girls school who took me under his wing during my first week here. Making polite conversation, the principal asked why I had chosen to come to Japan.
"To study karate," I told him. Onuma-sensei kicked me in the shin.

"No, no, no," he told the boss. "Eric means he's here to teach English. Karate is his hobby."

Onuma-sensei may have rescued me from disciplinary action, but my answer had been honest. Karate for me is no hobby; it is my ideal and it's pretty much all I do in my spare time here. While all my other JET friends travel during their vacations, I stay in Shinjo and spend time with sensei and the rest of the dojo.

May 10, 1993
Yesterday was my first day off from school, from karate, from the endless stream of social engagements that JET teachers get wrapped up in. I was completely bushed and couldn't wait to just read a book and relax. But the phone rang.
"It's me!" I heard Kishi-sensei growl on the other end of the line. "You must be lonely or homesick or something so let's go drink beer."

I did not want to drink beer, but I obediently slipped on my "setta" (traditional sandals) and met sensei at the curb as he rolled up on his squeaky, pink shopping bicycle. He kweeked away toward his favorite bar and I jogged alongside in my setta.

"Eric, why are you so stupid?" he asked me around midnight, over our umpteenth bottle, wrapping his arm around my shoulders in a vice lock. "I've known you for four years. You think I can't see how worried you are about being black, about what people think of you?"

There in sensei's affectionate embrace, I remembered my early doubts about the JET program and realized that living in Shinjo for so long, the issue of race had actually begun to slip my mind. But, as sensei perceived, not as far from my mind as I would have liked.

"Fix your head and listen," he said, whacking my forehead for emphasis. "When you're in the dojo doing pushups, it doesn't matter if you're black or white or Indian or Japanese or Chinese. The sweat on the floor is just sweat. You got that?"

Outside the bar at around 3 a.m., I saw sensei off -- standing at attention, as is dojo protocol, until he had peddled out of sight half a kilometer away. I thought about my recent decision to return to New York to pursue a career in journalism. Two years in sensei's hometown were coming to an end. I wiped the tears from my eyes and went home to my futon.

Some dates are approximate.

The Japan Times: July 30, 2002
(C) All rights reserved

30th July 2002, 00:36
JET membership up in numbers, diversity

For the past 15 years, the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program has greatly helped promote Japan's internationalization.

The JET program, under which young foreign college graduates are recruited to work as teachers and exchange coordinators in Japan, was jointly launched in 1987 by the Foreign Ministry, the then education and home affairs ministries, and the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR). The program is intended to support foreign-language education at junior high and high schools across the nation, as well as to promote international awareness at the community level. It also aims to increase foreigners' understanding of Japanese society.

Since its inception, the program has grown in terms of both the number of participants and represented nations. A total of 6,190 people from 39 countries took part in the program last year. The JET program's inaugural year featured the participation of a total of just 848 people from the United States, Britain, Australia and New Zealand.

The increasing number of participants reflects the growing demand from communities for internationalization and foreign-language training.

Program recruits fill one of three positions: assistant language teacher (ALT); coordinator for international relations (CIR); and sports exchange adviser (SEA).

ALTs assist Japanese teachers of English, French, German, Chinese and Korean at junior high and high schools. They team up with the Japanese teachers and help them with the exact pronunciation of foreign words and common expressions. ALTs also help the teachers prepare supplementary materials and assist with extracurricular activities, including foreign-language clubs and international exchange events.

Last year's JET program featured 5,583 ALTs.

CIRs, meanwhile, are assigned to local government offices to act as liaisons for international exchange activities in their communities. Some of their activities include editing and translating pamphlets; planning and implementing international exchange programs; receiving guests from abroad; and interpreting at international events. In addition, they are expected to teach their native language to local government employees and residents, as well as assist in cross-cultural activities involving private organizations.

A spinoff of the CIR assignment, the SEA position was created in 1994 to promote international exchanges through sports. SEAs perform much the same functions as CIRs, but incorporate their expertise in sports into their work.

Many CIRs are invited by Japanese communities that have special ties, such as sister city relationships, with the coordinator's home country. Although CIRs make up only about 10 percent of total JET participants, they represent the widest range of nationalities. While most ALTs come from English-speaking countries, CIRs annually represent all participating nations.

Of last year's JET participants, 2,477 hailed from the U.S., followed by 1,405 from Britain, 1,057 from Canada and 417 from Australia.

Each year, new recruits are greeted at Narita airport by CLAIR officials and second- or third-year JET participants (annual contracts can only be renewed twice). The newcomers then go through an orientation program in Tokyo that is intended to introduce them to life in Japan.

The orientation usually entails two days of talks on working conditions, lifestyle and other topics selected to relieve the anxieties of the new arrivals.

To become a JET program participant, candidates must meet certain criteria. They must have at least a bachelor's degree and be under 40 years old. They must apply for the program through a Japanese embassy in their home country. Since one of the program's aims is to encourage more foreigners to learn about Japan, candidates also must not have lived in Japan for more than three of the past 10 years.

Those planning to work as ALTs must have excellent English pronunciation and voice-projection skills, in addition to good writing and grammar skills. Experience as a teacher is helpful but not required. Potential ALTs must show interest in the Japanese educational system and in working actively with students.

To be a CIR, candidates must have sufficient command of Japanese to function smoothly in an office environment.

The Japan Times: July 30, 2002
(C) All rights reserved

30th July 2002, 00:55

To become a JET program participant, candidates must meet certain criteria. They must have at least a bachelor's degree and be under 40 years old. They must apply for the program through a Japanese embassy in their home country.

Some of this is not actually true.
I have a good friend that became a JET after he was 40, in fact I think he was like 42 or 43.
If you are from a native English speaking country and have a degree you are good enough.
The JET program has been having trouble lately because of this. Most JETs have never had a job and just graduated from University, and never left their home country. Every year several of them "freak out" and go home before their contract is done which puts the school board in a bit of bind when their "pet gaijin" vanishes after summer break (August) without having the "stones" to give notice. If they do give notice it is often the same "Oh I have to go home because my Aunt Bessy died/sick" and they had to rush home to take care of her. :rolleyes:

Those planning to work as ALTs must have excellent English pronunciation and voice-projection skills, in addition to good writing and grammar skills. Experience as a teacher is helpful but not required. Potential ALTs must show interest in the Japanese educational system and in working actively with students.

Here again some pretty big inaccuracies.
Years ago I had a coworker from Scotland that was a JET...........hell if I could understand what he was talking about half the time let alone the poor Japanese students. He admitted even people in England had trouble understanding him!

To be a CIR, candidates must have sufficient command of Japanese to function smoothly in an office environment.

"Sufficient" is rather ambiguous. I have dealt with some of the CIR folks, some have a pretty good grasp of the language and some can barely chuck out "ohayogozaimasu". Basically if you can "get along" with the Japanese and not make waves you can get a CIR position.

Enfield
30th July 2002, 01:29
Some of this is not actually true.
I have a good friend that became a JET after he was 40, in fact I think he was like 42 or 43.
If you are from a native English speaking country and have a degree you are good enough.
On the actual application package and official website, it lists the age requirement as "in principle, be under 40 years of age." The age limit is more rule of thumb than hard and fast regulation. Hard to imagine with the Japanese. ;)

For those interested in more info, the following two sites are pretty useful.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/jet/

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/jet/index.htm

Eric Montes
30th July 2002, 05:05
Robert,
I was a ALT from 96-99 in Kyoto. I am currently volunteering with the Consul General's Office in San Francisco recruiting and interviewing applicants. At this time there are over 6000 JETs around Japan (and more and more ex-JETs here in the States)

In some ways, I used the JET program as a vehicle to study Budo in Japan. I was very fortunate that I had introductions to teachers in Japan already for the most part, and was fortunate to be placed close enough to my teacher's teachers so that I was able to practice with them.

But, one thing that you will hear if you apply to the JET program: Everyone's situation is different.

You can request a placement, but that is no guarantee that you will go where you want. If you turn it down, you cannot reapply.

Lots of people get involved with JET due to some interest in Budo. If you are serious about JET, the next question is what else do you have to offer besides budo? You will be involved in the public schools and acting as an "ambassador' from the US.

Work/Timewise, you can't beat it. I was generally out of school around four and then rushing to catch my train for keiko (2.5 hours each way twice a week) or cycling over to the Kyudo dojo. I wish I had that time now. BUT a friend of mine up the road in another town was expected to keep Japanese schoolteachers hours: basically 7-7.

Working at NOVA or AEON you will start work around 3 in the afternoon.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but be realistic about applying.

Eric Montes

P.S. Robert R. please drop me an email. I sent you an email and it got bounced.

30th July 2002, 05:12
Well there ya go folks if they let a guy like Eric be a JET they will let anyone. ;) ( just kidding, Eric is a good guy)

True for the "Japanese Budo Experience" the JET program is the way to go.

DO NOT work for Nova or any of the "McLanguage" schools...........it will do nothing but give your stay in Japan totally useless.

BTW Eric when are you coming back to Japan?

Jody Holeton
30th July 2002, 07:25
Dear Hobbitbob,

Since you are filling out all that paperwork, why don't you put in for the Earlham program just to be safe?

Same essay, same paperwork, same money etc. etc.

BUT the JET program gets more prestige and does more social things.

My buddy Dave from Grad school is doing JET right now in Gunma (? maybe) but he just started.

Be careful of getting gifts, examine schools first before you join, be careful of the "pet gaijin" bit...

Do you play the guitar? Can you do magic?
If you can entertain the kids they will love you!

JET is great for budo but enjoying Japan (and everything else) is a matter of perspective...

Good luck!
If they put you north of Tokyo just drop me a line!

--Jody

hobbitbob
30th July 2002, 18:44
What is the "Earlham program?"
As far as entertaining the kiddies: I can play guitar and flute, and do a great Ian anderson impression! (i.e.: hopping on one leg while playing flute badly!)

Jody Holeton
30th July 2002, 23:51
Dear Hobbitbob,

go here

http://www.earlham.edu/~aet/

I am in the Earlham Program if you have any questions.

You might want to consider applying to them also, as a backup.

Earlham's program is for prefectures north of Tokyo. I am in Utsunomiya, just an hour from Tokyo.

If you play the fool, play with your kids, do music etc. your Japanese kids will love you.

Be forewarned though! Gaijin on parade and being the pet gaijin gets old real quick.

Do the program but:

learn the language ASAP
be careful on what you do at work AND outside of work your coworkers WILL gossip

you will learn the rest after you get here...:D

Have fun--Jody