PDA

View Full Version : Quotes Of Value

Darren Laur
29th July 2002, 04:17
Just back from holidays and catching up on the posts that I have missed. While on holidays I did a bunch of reading and research in the area of combatives, and here are three “WARRIOR” quotes I found that I believe have a lot to offer, and which I know will be thought provoking to those on this forum. Enjoy.

Strength and Honor

Darren Laur

THE ESSENCE OF WARRIORSHIP

"Warriorship is a personal and individual path. It is a path which deals with all aspects of life. The essence of warriorship is the process of fulfilling one’s potential. The ways towards warriorship are many, and they are all hard. Few ever go far, though all benefit. This is a commitment to a life of discipline and development in mind, body, and soul. The true warrior is an athlete, a scholar, a poet, a magician, a priest, and a skilled lover.

As a part of warriorship, the combat principles you learn can be applied to all areas of life. Discipline, flexibility, strategic thinking, and the ability to stay calm and see the larger perspective. These along with physical fitness, allow the warrior to succeed in any endeavor. This is what makes a true warrior. Skill in battle is of little use if you do not have a life worth fighting for."

— Sweyn Plowright, from True Helm

THE "WARRIOR" CONTRASTED AGAINST THE "FALSE WARRIOR"

"Simply put, warriors choose to walk a separate path, different from others. They take the risk of standing alone and speaking up when others are silent. A vital component of ethical behavior is feeling obligated to do what is right. To feel obligated, one must not only care but be willing to pay the hard price that comes in wrestling with one’s own conscience. Warriors are self-actuated. They project consequences into the future and think, plan, and live long range. Warriors take personal control over their lives rather than be passive spectators and the victims of events occurring around them. . . .

Although true warriors are difficult to find, many people want to become warriors and begin walking the path, but they allow their energy to be taken from tem and their light to dim. You can see it in their eyes. They want the rewards, but they are no longer willing to pay the price to fill the lamp with the kind of oil that keeps it from growing dim. They have lowered their self-esteem and feel a constant need to prove themselves to others."

— Larry F. Jetmore, from The Path of the Warrior

THE WARRIOR PATH

Follow this path if you are to be a warrior and share your light with others. But tread carefully! We become what we pretend to be!. . .
It’s not easy to become a warrior. It’s even more difficult to remain a warrior after becoming one. Many answer the call of the drums, but few are able to sustain the strength of character necessary to march to them. There are many labyrinths, traps, and dragons along the path to the way.

Courage and inner fortitude are required to overcome the difficult and sometimes painful obstacles along the path a warrior must travel. Abuse of power and self-diminishing behavior are traps that snare and draw a would-be warrior off the path. We are often seduced by illusions of power bestowed upon us by the titles, promotions, or credentials we receive. These outward symbols quickly lose their luster unless placed on a foundation of self-worth. Because we often close our hearts to the people in our lives, many would-be warriors suffer the penalty of loneliness while surrounded by heaps of gold. Temptation and suffering for the sake of others are tests each person on the path to becoming a warrior must face. The voice and comfort of the herd is loud and strong. Although a warrior is sometimes joined by others, the walk is often the high and lonely path of the nomad. True warriors do not cower at the opinions of others, but feel themselves accountable to a higher tribunal than man.

All who walk the path have the freedom to choose where their steps will take them. There are many different paths but only one ‘way.’ Warriors accept total responsibility for their thoughts, behaviors, deeds, and actions. This is known as decision making."

— Larry F. Jetmore, from The Path of the Warrior

Matt Larsen
1st August 2002, 19:51
A warrior moves toward the sound of battle. We are at war right now. How many “warriors” are content to work in their comfortable office?

As a society becomes more peaceful, and the true attributes of a warrior begin to clash with the sensibilities of suburbia, we begin to invent a more palatable model.

John Lindsey
1st August 2002, 20:56
A warrior moves toward the sound of battle.

I love that quote! BTW, you are correct that we are war, yet I sense the American public is starting to forget what happened almost a year ago.

R Erman
2nd August 2002, 15:11
John,

Unfortunately I think you're right. It amazes me at the short attention span of the majority of the american populace. Maybe we all have A.D.D. ...

Steve C
16th August 2002, 09:22
Interesting stuff, everyone.

The first quotes seem to me to try to tack extra bits on to the concept of a warrior, rather than going for it's core. Surely a warrior is simply one who engages in a war? Or, maybe, one who is ready to be called on to engage in a war?

The idea of a warrior as a force for good, by virtue of his warriorship; where does that idea come from? Why would ability on the field of battle be related to ethical behaviour? Isn't warriorship about tactical, rather than ethical, brilliance?

Throughout history, peoples have held to the idea that the warriors amongst them were the greatest. Both Europe and Japan had feudal, warrior cultures that praised martial skill. But that, perhaps, stems first from the fact that they risked their own lives for their communities, and then from the fact that they became the upper classes and were able to enforfce their own truth on the world.

Anyway, just something to think about...

Steve

-B-
25th August 2002, 00:21
I found this interview interesting and (I think) relevant to this thread. Hoban discusses how he came by the "Warrior Creed" (almost half way into the interview). It is a great story. I think the Creed is brilliant because it summarizes so much in 3 concise points.

One of the many things that I like about the code is that the concepts can be practiced on many levels. Almost everyone can participate to some degree, although (as with anything in life) only a select group will be able to participate at the highest levels.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26437

Brian Crowley

Matt Larsen
26th August 2002, 10:57
I enjoyed that very much, thank you.

Matt Larsen

Walt Harms
27th August 2002, 17:10
I question Mr. jetmore's definitions a little and sense a blurring of
the lines between law enforcement/comminity service and "Warrior"
granted police work is dangerous, even heroic but do we want policemen/women "warriors"? do we want warriors (soldiers, SEAls etc) who are "policemen", the jobs/morals/restraints/ethics are totaly different in WAR than on the streets. D-Day, Chosan etc verus my hometown.

Walt Harms

Steve C
28th August 2002, 10:00
You guys might be interested in the "A Real Martial Artist" thread going on in karate right now. Sounds like you're treading very similar ground.

Steve

Matt Larsen
28th August 2002, 10:44
The first person that I ever saw get killed was an unarmed airlines employee who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was one of the first few people at my assembly area and we were trying to clear the area. It was a loading area and was littered with large boxes ready to be placed on planes for shipping.

We used to train wall/body/weapon so that you would have the best angle on corners, a very stupid idea, so I had my weapon in my left hand. I was moving along a wall when a guy ran around the corner about fifteen feet in front of me. I was trying to shoot him but because my weapon was in my left hand, I was all thumbs. So my cover man shot him. Only after he was dead did we notice that he was an unarmed civilian.

Now this is a tragic story, but the real tragedy is that I had been an infantryman in the Marines and the Ranger Regiment for six years at that point and had never considered that there would be non-combatants on the battlefield. In the years since the last war that little tidbit had been lost.

The reality is that War involves ethical and moral decisions that have life and death at stake. Even in WWII when a unit came upon a house that dominated the terrain, If they chose to blast with a tanks main gun from 2000m their may just be a family living in it. Or if they don’t, they may suffer casualties as a result.

The troops that we have doing peace keeping right now could be the same troops involved in the last ditch defense of some remote Afghani town next month. Our training must fit the realities of the world. Moral and ethical training must be a part.

Matt Larsen