PDA

View Full Version : Taisha Ryu

Moriki
30th July 2002, 12:19
Does anybody know if there is still a living Grandmaster of Taisha Ryu Kenjutsu?, or of anybody practicing Taisha Ryu?

yours truly
Brian Carpenter
GWNBF/KJJR UK KOMORI DOJO

Soulend
30th July 2002, 20:48
But I believe it is Kouzo Kaku, and as far as I know he is still alive. Here is his license:

Menkyo Kaiden (http://www.kaku-kouzo.com/family/kaku/kaiden.html)

Moriki
31st July 2002, 16:14
Dear David,
Thanks for the info, any chance of shedding a little light on Kouzo Kaku and his branch of Taisha ryu?

yours truly
Brian Carpenter

Soulend
31st July 2002, 21:35
Very little light, I'm afraid. Just biographical...I have very little knowledge of the Taisha ryu except historical info.

Kaku's official name is Kouichi Kawasaki. He appears to be affiliated with several arts including Shinden Muso-ryu, Ritsugan-ryu and Imaeda-ryu, some form of jujutsu, as well as Aikido.

I believe he lives in Nara today, as he lectures at Nara University, where he himself graduated with a degree in history. He has published numerous books including 'The Mysterious Power of Ki: The Force Within'. I have heard this is a good book, despite the somewhat 'over the top' title.

Sorry not much info. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of this ryu will happen along...

Nathan Scott
10th August 2002, 00:48
Hello,

I never heard of Mr. Kawasaki, but allow me to offer the following:

The "Menkyo Kaiden" linked above to his web site appears to be a bit misleading.

The certificate is titled "Taisha ryu Iai Shinjutsu" and written to Kawasaki Koichi. The title name is a bit odd, and does not match any of the names of the densho I've seen for this style, but does appear to have been issued by the current headmaster and could very well be real.

Furthermore, the certificate is named "Menkyo", not "Menkyo Kaiden", which may or may not mean something completely different, depending on which art uses the terminology. The techniques listed on this certificate do match what I've seen listed as the Iai curriculum of Taisha ryu. But, Taisha ryu's curriculum is much larger than just the Iai curriculum, so to receive a Menkyo Kaiden in just the Iai portion would seem a bit odd - to me at least.

So what Mr. Kawasaki appears to have been issued is not a Menkyo Kaiden in Taisha ryu, but rather a Menkyo in the Iai portion of Taisha ryu. That would not make him the rightful headmaster, especially since the current headmaster, who appears to have issued this and is presumably his teacher, is still alive and teaching.

As an aside, it has been my observation that in every situation where there are two factions claiming to be the ligitimate line, there is a quiet and dignified faction, and a loud and obnoxious faction. To my experience, the quiet dignified faction has always proved to be the ligitimate line so far. Something to think about.

In other words, the guy who is bitching the loudest, and giving away little gems of ryu-ha secrets to expand interest in their splinter group and "prove" ligitimacy seems to always be the one in the wrong.

Consumers beware,

Soulend
10th August 2002, 13:58
Thanks for the info, Mr. Scott.

Moriki
11th August 2002, 18:27
Dear Nathan,
Thanks for the info, So who is the current Soke of Taisha Ryu? and is it true that Taisha ryu has links to Ninpo?

yours truly
Brian Carpenter

Rennis
12th August 2002, 01:15
Mr. Carpenter,

Why not try to get the answers you seek directly from the source? The current head of Taisha ryu is Yamakita Takenori. He is a member of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai so contacting them would be your best lead for getting the answers you seek directly from the source.
Best regards,

Rennis Buchner

Moriki
12th August 2002, 05:49
Mr Buchner,
Thank you very much.
I will try and contact Yamakita Sensei.

yours truly

Brian Carpenter