PDA

View Full Version : Quality of a Hoi??

Martin Allerby
6th August 2002, 17:49
Hello!

I’m planning on buying a Hoi.
I’ve heard that the quality of the garment differs between different brands. One is less easy to get wrinkles on, but has rougher fabric. Another one has finer fabric but is almost impossible to keep smooth. Is this true or are they all the same? Which one is recommendable to buy?

Grateful for replies!

Best regards,

Martin Allerby, SK GBG
www.shorinji-kempo.org/GBG

Kimpatsu
7th August 2002, 01:16
I'd say buy an Ozaki hoi. I have two, and they're great.
HTH. Kesshu.

Tripitaka of AA
7th August 2002, 02:43
Equally important is the choice of Mothball. Protecting one's Hoi from the ever-hungry grub of the moth is crucial. Choosing a non-smelly method is to be preferred, but which one works best? I suppose it varies with climate.

Martin Allerby
7th August 2002, 13:58
Hello!

Tony: Thank you for your reply!

David: I'didn't quite follow your remark... What is Mothball?

Best regards,

Martin Allerby, SK GBG
www.shorinji-kempo.org/GBG

Anders Pettersson
7th August 2002, 16:23
_||_
Gassho.

Hi Martin.

I would follow Tonys suggestion and buy an Ozaki made Hoi. Those are best in my experience. (For dogi I like the Isami SK90 best).

As for mothball I never heard any in Sweden having a problem with moth, atleast not in modern times.

And for Martin an explanation of it in Swedish:
Det betyder malkula, men vi har väl som sagt sällan problem med mal i Sverige.

Och en annan sak, din länk till er hemsida fungerar inte med VERSALER, du måste använda gemener (gbg).

/Anders

Martin Allerby
7th August 2002, 17:32
Hello!

Thanks for the explaination! Swedish is sometimes powerful... *SMILE*

Best regards,

Martin Allerby, SK GBG
www.shorinji-kempo.org/gbg

Tripitaka of AA
7th August 2002, 21:07
Hi Martin, sorry about "mothball", I didn't notice your location.

Kempo is international, silly English comments about mothballs are less universal. Again, Kaiso used his head when choosing a medium to convey the teachings of Kongo Zen (As far as I know, there are no Stand-Up Comedians spreading Kaiso's teaching, unless you count Tony Kehoe :D )

Kimpatsu
7th August 2002, 23:59
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
As far as I know, there are no Stand-Up Comedians spreading Kaiso's teaching, unless you count Tony Kehoe
I'm sitting down.

Tripitaka of AA
13th August 2002, 14:40
Tony, does that mean you're studying to be a Rakugo:D ?

Kimpatsu
7th October 2003, 03:03
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
Tony, does that mean you're studying to be a Rakugo:D ?
Well, when people here my jokes, the "go" part certainly works... :D

Tripitaka of AA
7th October 2003, 06:03
Apparently, I should hae said "Rakugo-ka".

It's the traditional Japanese Storyteller/comedian... various TV presenters came from this old style...

hsuntzu
7th October 2003, 08:07
I'll add my bit here. I have a Maekawa hoi, and pretty happy with it. Compared to the 100% polyester Ozaki, the Maekawa is 100% cotton, thus the Maekawa airs better but wrinkle lot easier as well as attracts dust. Also, the belt that comes with the Maekawa hoi is lot stiffer than the Ozaki.

Personnally, I prefer the stiffer belt and the cotton (for its airing/breath characteristic). The Ozaki hoi is probably less hassle though.

Does anyone have an Isami hoi?

Gassho

mikko.virmasalo
7th October 2003, 08:35
Hi

I don't have first hand experience but I heard that Isami Hoi (sold on kinteki.com) is really "slippery" material and almost impossible to put on.

One of our Branchmasters bought it and him and Mizuno Sensei had quite amount of work to put it on properly...

Does anyone have similar experiences with hoi?

-mikko

Ade
7th October 2003, 09:52
Dear All

Gassho

I had mine made here in Britain, tailored to actually fit me perfectly, in pure new wool, so that the creases all drop out when you wear it, and it cost less than buying one of those ill-fitting Japanese black plastic sacks that turn grey with time.
If you want the same just ask, and I'll give you my tailoresses' details.

Kesshu

Ade

PS It's also tacked into permanent wearing position perfectly folded and takes 1 minute to put on!
Read 'em and weep.
:mst:

David Dunn
7th October 2003, 09:55
For dogi, the Isami SK90 is the only sensible choice.

I have a Maekawa hoi, which Cailey gave to me when he stopped being short. It's pure cotton, and hence requires ironing everytime. It's a much nicer material than the non-iron ones. However ironing a load of pleats is not the most satisfying activity, and keeping it nice while you transport it wherever you're going is not easy. Mizuno Sensei has one of the iron-free synthetic hoi, and while the material is not so pleasing to the touch it looks much better for demonstration purposes.

Getting hold of a pair of short dogi trousers for the hoi is essential :)

David Dunn
7th October 2003, 10:06
Originally posted by Ade

:cry:

Ade
7th October 2003, 11:00
Did I forget to mention that it has a beautiful dark purple blue iridescence reminiscent of a moonless sky, viewed from an unlit hill-top, whilst in mid-nage, and is as soft as a babies bottom?
As opposed to horrifically creased, crackling with static electricity, mid grey nylon cardboard mix that looks like somebody threw a bag of washing!
I think I did.
My tailoress is warming up her machine as we speak.
:laugh:

Ade
7th October 2003, 12:33
Originally posted by David Dunn
You wear stuff under your hoi?
Weird!:moon:

Nicky Geldart
7th October 2003, 13:08
Originally posted by Ade
I had mine made here in Britain, tailored to actually fit me perfectly, in pure new wool, so that the creases all drop out when you wear it, and it cost less than buying one of those ill-fitting Japanese black plastic sacks that turn grey with time.

Guaranteed of getting something that fits at a decent price is very appealing to someone who is physically short and round like me :)

Let us have the details, please.

Kimpatsu
7th October 2003, 13:22
Originally posted by Nicky Geldart
Guaranteed of getting something that fits at a decent price is very appealing to someone who is physically short and round like me
Wasn't Short Round the insuffereable kid in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? :D

Tripitaka of AA
7th October 2003, 13:38
"Short Round", yep Tony, and named after Speilberg's dog.... or was it George Lucas's... or Harrison Ford's, I forget.

Short dogi trousers for the Hoi. I agree. Not that I would disagree with Aosaka Sensei... but I prefer to try and emulate the "look" of Arai Sensei when it comes to demo garb.

I'm not sure about "tacked into wearing-position", that takes away half the fun of wearing it. After all, you're not trying to be a quick-change artist are you! Folding the sleeves and tying the belt are all part of the meditation. Like Sado (the Japanese Tea ceremony), you can do it with a teabag, but it's not the same thing.

Steve Williams
7th October 2003, 18:35
Originally posted by David Dunn

Unless you are Aosaka sensei ;)

Tripitaka of AA
7th October 2003, 21:35
Originally posted by Steve Williams
Unless you are Aosaka sensei ;)

As I may have implied in my previous post :p or... as it's you Sensei

Oh, I agree :)

shokenshi
19th October 2003, 23:08
Gassho!
I was going to buy a hoi by ozaki, but for me is too expensive. It costs 30% of my month payment. So I had to buy one "hand-made" hoi, but couldn't find (not even make a new) belt for hoi. Any idea where I can find one good, tradicional (and low price) hoi belt?

Kraik
30th November 2009, 11:11
Gassho,

I was wondering, what are the requirements to being able to have a hoi. Is the minimum requirement to be a black belt?

And also, Kinteki.com no longer works so I was wondering if anyone knows any other websites which sell Shorinji Kempo gear?

Kesshu

JL.
30th November 2009, 11:21
Gassho!

Shodan (and an active WSKO membership, of course) is indeed the only requirement for purchasing and wearing a hoi.
SK gear can, AFAIK, at the moment only be purchased through the WSKO homepage (http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/wsko/sale/index.html) and the official dogi vendors.

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Kraik
30th November 2009, 11:30
Gassho!

Shodan (and an active WSKO membership, of course) is indeed the only requirement for purchasing and wearing a hoi.
SK gear can, AFAIK, at the moment only be purchased through the WSKO homepage (http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/wsko/sale/index.html) and the official dogi vendors.

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Thanks for your help. Although I probably won't be purchasing a hoi until I reach black belt. It just wouldn't feel right otherwise.

JL.
30th November 2009, 11:33
Thanks for your help. Although I probably won't be purchasing a hoi until I reach black belt. It just wouldn't feel right otherwise.Shodan is black belt. :confused:

JL

Steve Malton
30th November 2009, 11:53
Kinteki.com no longer works so I was wondering if anyone knows any other websites which sell Shorinji Kempo gear?
The other retailers mentioned in this thread are:
Maekawa: http://www.maekawashouten.co.jp/en/index.html
Ozaki : http://www.ozaki-sk.co.jp/en/index.html

Kraik
30th November 2009, 12:01
Shodan is black belt. :confused:

:laugh: Forgive me, I'd forgotten.

The other retailers mentioned in this thread are:
Maekawa: http://www.maekawashouten.co.jp/en/index.html
Ozaki : http://www.ozaki-sk.co.jp/en/index.html

Wow thanks.

Tripitaka of AA
30th November 2009, 14:24
Is this "Putting the cart before the horse", or "setting a realistic goal in order to have something to work towards"... I'm not sure, but I think getting back into training should be the top priority, not where/how/when to buy the pretty dress. Mind you, it was fun to see this old thread resurrected :).