PDA

View Full Version : reishiki-what and how much of a role does it play in your life and dojo?

hakuda
6th August 2002, 18:10
Just wondering how much importance is emphasized in your dojo on ettiquette and if you leave it at the door or take it out with for all to see.

Some say that the traditional ettiquette has no role in today's society. However I would beg to differ. In my line of work, law enforcement, I use it everyday. Being respectful to everyone, no matter how disrespectful they may act goes far especially when you deal with som folks over and over again. They remember how you treated them. Most times they sober up and are greatful for the way they were treated even if they had to be arrested. This is paralelled in off duty or everyday life as well for me. If I am respectful to others in everyday life I set an example for my family, aswell as for those around me. You may think noone is paying attention. How do you know for sure? How do you know who in the Wal-mart has studied a martial art? Sometimes I can tell by the way they carry themselves or by what they wear or say. But there are those out there that conceal themselves well. I'm one of them. If you don't know me well you will never know my passion. I prefer it that way.

That leads into my next thought. By using ettiquete and being reserved and not boastful, the ego doesn't bite me in the butt by having every Billy B.A. come up and get mouthy. I avoid displaying any obvious signs of being involved with the martial arts. I don't deny my involvement but I don't wear a billboard on my chest and back.

Thank you for reading my thread and pease feel free to comment good or bad.

T Wall

Soulend
6th August 2002, 19:37
I believe it is useful to me. It has been postulated that the 'extreme' politeness and intricate protocol of the Japanese came about due to the communal living style associated with a rice-based economy. My situation is somewhat similar being in the military. I am often living and working in close, even cramped or crowded quarters with the others in my unit. Although I obviously don't go around bowing to everyone and sitting in seiza in my office, I find that a reserved, polite nature helps keep friction and frustration to a minimum. Thinking ahead as to how a particular action could inconvenience someone else needlessly goes a long way towards something resembling harmony. It could be something as simple as not sprawling your legs in a workspace, which would make it hard for others to get by. Now, if only I could get some of these other guys to think the same way..:D

Charles Choi
7th August 2002, 01:52
From the way I understand the concept, I believe it is a very important aspect of martial arts and artists.

It is the pillar of any tradition we study, and something we should be living everyday - in and out of the Dojo. Training in martial traditions [I note you posted in the koryu section] is in my opinion, for the betterment of ourselves as humans. The Dojo is a place to learn. Hey, you can even take it as far as saying that the world is a Dojo, can't you(?). :)

Combative applications exist too for the lessons learned eg focus, awareness, restraint.

Chuck Clark
7th August 2002, 03:58
Respect, humility, and a genuine concern for others is lacking in many parts of our society. If we all take the reishiki from the dojo and take appropriate steps to apply it in our relationships with everyone it may actually spread a bit. Can't hurt.

Regards,

Jack B
7th August 2002, 15:20
Reishiki performs multiple functions. It separates the time on the mat from other concerns. It focuses the mind and spirit on serious pursuit. The respect cultivated and enjoyed leaks into your whole life.

Formal treatment of partners and weapons distinguishes the necessities and niceties of training from reality. This reinforces budo (maintain awareness of your opponent) and prevents bad habits (like automatically handing a weapon back to an opponent without thinking). Reishiki should be done consciously and deliberately, as well as with whole heart.

Jack Bieler

Yamantaka
7th August 2002, 16:12
Hello!
I think etiquette (Reishiki) is of the foremost importance TODAY. As Kondo Katsuyuki Sensei, of Aikijujutsu, once stated : "Etiquette is the first line of Self-Defense".
Self-defense is not just to beat an enemy to a pulp. It's to use every resource to further our security. People died for greed, for lack of manners, for attacking others...But no one ever died because of good manners. Some of the most dangerous people I ever met were quiet people, unassuming, apparently inoffensive. Some magic words : "Please", "thank you", "May I have your permission?"
Arrogant, uneducated people, give rise to anger and to feeling of offense and call for sudden attacks. Also, if you practice a martial art, don't delude yourself, you're practicing ways and means to kill people (even with all the "loving spirit", an aikido throw may kill a man and an aikido armlock may seriously incapacitate someone). How to avoid becoming killers?
Once, in Japan, I visited a Police Department and I saw policemen practicing Ikebana and poetry. I asked my companion why policemen should do that. His answer : "Policemen and Yakuza live in the same area and are always circling together. If we do nothing to soften our policemen, making them better persons, they will become exactly the same as the Yakuza"...
Educated people are always cautious to avoid problems. And self-defense, as I said, is not to fight but looking for ways to preserve our bodies and our tranquility.
IMHO

Dojorat
7th August 2002, 16:43
Greetins,

In an article about the Virginia State Police Training Academy, the commander summed up their objective in a simple, yet potent, insight into Reishiki and it's application in daily life.

He said their objective is to train officers to "treat people like a million bucks but all the while have a plan to kill them!"

Treat people the best but be prepared for the worst.

Cheers,

O'Neill
10th August 2002, 18:37
Hi,

The post here have been wonderful but I feel that reigi saho, reiskiki is often viewed in a limited way. The martial/combative benefits to understanding reigi saho are amazing. Enhanced understanding of body alignment, kuzushi, timing, etc are all benefits. Many of the bowing techniques are not studied for their martial implications. Shikko is a wonderful tool for more than getting around the djo. What about moving around an attackers body after a katame waza or osaekomi- moving from technique to technique.

I find it sad when one hears even advanced bugeisha (not that I am very advanced)that real tekki cannot be handled fluidly and in a precise manner using jujutsu waza. Some of the key ingredients are contained within the reigi saho, great attributes can be developed but if we just look at it as basic etiquette for politeness sake or for moving within the dojo, then we can miss their greatest benefits.

Just my thoughts but I have found them to be a great tool both as martial and personal assets. Thank you.

Erin O'Neill
+

Yamantaka
10th August 2002, 20:25
Originally posted by O'Neill
Hi,

The post here have been wonderful but I feel that reigi saho, reiskiki is often viewed in a limited way. The martial/combative benefits to understanding reigi saho are amazing. Enhanced understanding of body alignment, kuzushi, timing, etc are all benefits. Many of the bowing techniques are not studied for their martial implications. Shikko is a wonderful tool for more than getting around the djo. What about moving around an attackers body after a katame waza or osaekomi- moving from technique to technique.
Just my thoughts but I have found them to be a great tool both as martial and personal assets. Thank you.
Erin O'Neill

YAMANTAKA : I heartily agree, Erin San. I couldn't say it better.
Best regards and good keiko

fifthchamber
11th August 2002, 15:58
Hi all.
I agree with all posts here..Ettiquette, whether Japanese or not is a major factor in life. Without 'decency' all things seem to collapse on themselves..A state that is close to being accepted as 'normal' as things are.
Budo begins and ends with Reiho. Life should likewise follow suit. If you have respect in the dojo that respect should be the same in all things. If not then is it 'real' in your training? I believe not.
The need to have respect for someone does not start because they can beat you in a fight. It should start because you are a decent person. Open to others and their views on things, and willing to listen to those views. Anything less is disrespectful and arrogant. Only if someone has shown themselves unworthy of respect should they be treated as such. And even then it is often 'better' handled if you keep your 'manners' in open view.
Japanese arts do stress this more perhaps than general fighting arts but all things should be like this. People 'may' find things to smile about more in life if we all were just a touch more sensitive and respectful of other peoples views and standing. Even if unequal to them..
Life is respect. Once shown it is earnt. Once earnt it should be keep visible and always exercised in public....Especially there as this is the 'testing grounds' for it most often.
"Ninniku seishin" neh?
Abayo

John Lindsey
11th August 2002, 17:16
Why is it so many Westerners don't like reiho at all? Its often the hardest thing for new students to get used to, and some get totally turned off because of it.

Jack B
11th August 2002, 18:37
Because it is so often empty. Teachers don't understand what it is for, and the dojo atmosphere does not enforce it. And it is used sometimes to create an artificial dominance structure. Americans viscerally rebel against it because it isn't really part of our culture.

One aspect of reishiki is constant vigilance, at least attentiveness, in every action. You are supposed to be totally conscious while "going through the motions". You must not let down your guard even with your classmates whom you trust absolutely.

Jack Bieler
Denton, Texas

hakuda
14th August 2002, 20:48
Many times in my line of work I come across the narrow-minded people in the are in which I work and find it hard not to just walk away while they're in mid-sentance. The lack of respect for another human being and the amount of general ignorance are astounding. I live in North Carolina and unforunatly I now begin to understand how southerners are viewed as ignorant hicks. Thanks to my training and patience I get a true feeling for what some of the true samurai must have went through. Before you start to think I'm one of these disillusioned karate kids, let me explain.

The true samurai didn't look upon himself as better than anyone else, they just had respect for everyone and everything around them. No matter how unintellegent or disrespectful those they dealt with may have been. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not from 15th century Japan, but from all I've ever read and been taught that's my understanding. They learned this respect, patience and understanding from the word go. If they were of samurai lineage, it's all they were exposed to aside from the power struggle as an undercurrent. I like to believe that what I study today, with dedication and dilegent effort, will continue to allow me to apply the reishiki and reiho in all aspects of life. From the mundane trip to the store and letting that buck toothed, no bra, half-drunk woman with 5 screaming yard apes go in front of me, to the domestic violence victim that just can't leave the abuser because "I love him/her". The patience and understanding that should be the foundation of our society to begin with is something that can be learned at an old converted grocery store while throwing and kicking others wearing pajamas the whole while.

For those that can study a martial art and take the reishiki with them into life and not be influenced by others saying "you're just being brain washed by that whopchaky stuff", I say you're not alone and keep going surely it can only make you happier. It has for me.

T WALL

Jack B
14th August 2002, 22:12
The true samurai didn't look upon himself as better than anyone else, they just had respect for everyone and everything around them. The ideal samurai. I'm sure many were, and I'm sure many were not. They almost certainly had a lot of these same debates about who was and was not legitimate or "true". Just read Musashi and see how he felt about fancy/flowery/commercial budosha.

I think every generation has "good old days" they wish for. Freud might say it represents the desire to return to one's youth. Spengler would say cultures lose their vitality after the original expansion phase, and wish for the good old days when men were real men and knew how to behave and the heroes were ten feet tall and nobody questioned faith or destiny.

Fortunately every generation has many who cling to honor and right thought and right living.

Jack Bieler