PDA

View Full Version : Old kenshi steps into the Dojo... Rei, NaoRei

Tripitaka of AA
6th August 2002, 23:31
Gassho

I am old, wrinkly and tired from my journey through life's hardships (OK, a bit exaggerated but it is getting late and I'm a bit sleepy). It is a great satisfaction to discover that Shorinji Kempo is alive and still kicking in much the same way as when I left it - some 15 years ago. Still the "thinking persons' Martial Art". Still the same keen and devoted practitioners seeking more knowledge by all appropriate means.

I came here by way of the British Shorinji Kempo Federation site, which has an article singing the praises of E-Budo.com. I like what I've read so far, this seems like an place for the level-headed and enthusiastic - not what you usually find on internet-based forum.

The BSKF site has really come on since I last dropped by. The articles are all very well written and manage to say things without sounding like the same old regurgitated Howa (a common fault, difficult to avoid). Well worth a visit.

I hope to contribute on specific topics in due course, but please accept my humble greeting post - shallow as it is - as a word of praise for the current members and moderator.

Hello, nice to meet you... again.

Kimpatsu
7th August 2002, 01:19
Hello, David, I remember you. :wave:
I wasn't aware that you'd moved to Yorkshire, though. I've been a kenshi for 17 years now (old and wrinkly, indeed). Ever thought of returning to the fold?
Kesshu.

Steve Williams
7th August 2002, 01:44
Hi David

There are a few of us old (long established, not ancient....) BSKF kenshi about here...

If you have thoughts to come down to London for a visit then drop me a line....

If you want then send me an e-mail (check my profile for the address), we can catch up on the old Abbey days...... OK I was not training at Abbey then, but used to "drop in" on occasion....

Tripitaka of AA
7th August 2002, 02:38
Hi Steve, Hi Tony (shall I call you "Blondie"?)

There are many memorable names around, and I am very impressed by your longevity and dedication. Congratulations to you.

Are there any posts or threads that you would recommend that I read? No, scratch that, I think I'll probably read them all in the end anyway.

I'm not planning to resume training (see my other thread), for the same reasons as before - commitments, work, family-life, etc. But I do maintain an interest in SK and will pop in here occasionally to help broaden the spectrum of Posting Members.

Do either of you two have a biography that would help me to understand how you come to be where you are? I'm trying to imagine a story with a 15-year gap... it is like reading the first three chapters of War and Peace then finding the middle 200 pages have been torn out. I'm missing a lot of history somewhere.:)

Kimpatsu
7th August 2002, 03:17
You must be pulling an all-nighter, David. By my calculations, it must be 3:11 am your time as I write this.
My story? (And, yes, I'm still blond, but there's less hair on top than there used to be!) When you left, I was working for VISA card in London, right? Well, the year after you left, I quit to return to full-time education, and got first my A-levels and then a degree in Japanese from London University SOAS. After completing my MA, I came back out to Japan, and I'm still here, training thrice weekly in Tokyo and am currently 3 dan. Looking to head back to the UK within a year or so, though.
Steve, of course, has had a troubled history, in and out of prison, arrests for petty crime, and so on, and he's currently languishing on death row. We're drawing lots to determine who gets to throw the switch... ;)
How long have you been in Yorkshire?