PDA

View Full Version : When did Matsu Higa live ?

ursus
7th August 2002, 14:17
Hello!

I found in the German literature and for me accessible sources of InterNet for the Okinawan master Matsu Higa the approximate life data 1663 - 1738 AND 1790 - 1870. Does it concern thus two persons (from one family ?) or is one of the data wrong ? If someone has an answer, it would be beautiful, if he could indicate his source also. Thank you. (Sorry for my bad English)

Hendrik Felber
Germany

fuwafuwausagi
9th August 2002, 02:52
Ursus queried:

I found in the German literature and for me accessible sources of InterNet for the Okinawan master Matsu Higa the approximate life data 1663 - 1738 AND 1790 - 1870. Does it concern thus two persons (from one family ?) or is one of the data wrong ? If someone has an answer, it would be beautiful, if he could indicate his source also.

My reply:

Matsu Higa was the Sensei of Karate Sakugawa(1733-1815) (footnote #1). If this is the correct date for Karate Sakugawa then the first date is suspect as follows. The first date means Karate Sakugawa would have been to young to be Matsu Higa's student, and the second date range would indicate he was Matsu Higa's student until he was 25 years old maximum. That seems more probable.

Ursus also wrote:

Thank you. (Sorry for my bad English)

My reply:

You conveyance of English is fine. It is far better than that of many people residing in the U.S.

Footnotes:

"Kobudo Okinawan Weapons of Matsu Higa", Richard Kim, 1983, Master Publications.

Shikiyanaka
18th August 2003, 09:28
Hello,

in fact Matsu Higa is said to have been the teacher of Takahara Pechin, who in turn was the teacher of Sakugawa. In this way it is possible.

The problem is, that there seems to be a confusion between Hama Higa Pechin and Matsu Higa.

The picture often given for Matsu Higa is in fact the Hama Higa Pechin of 1790 - 1870. It is very likely that the Matsu Higa of 1663 - 1738 was in fact the Hama Higa Pechin of that time.

I have been researching this for quite a bit of time and only very recently came to this conclusion.

Please see also the threat "Hama Higa and Matsu Higa" in this forum.

Andreas Quast

Pavel Dolgachov
22nd August 2003, 09:43
I always surprised - is it possible that picture of Matsu Higa was made by old photo camera? Does photografy already exist????