PDA

View Full Version : Ow. Arm bruises

stencil
9th August 2002, 17:34
Had a great class last night, but I also have a pretty nice contusion bruise on my left arm from blocking a strong black belt's shuto.

Luckily, it's not in a place that constricts movement, but it is pretty raw - any suggestions as to the fastest healing path? I already put some Tiger Balm on it last night, but I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Also - do you, like me, come home with arm bruises from blocks quite often? I find it gives me something to show the partners at work as proof of my hard training.

sean_stonehart
9th August 2002, 17:50
Go to the NYC Chinatown & see if you can get an herb shop to make you some Dit Da Jow... bone hit medicine. We use it in Chinese Martial Arts when working our Iron Palm conditioning & other striking condition training. As a added bonus, our jow also helps to disapate bruises. Most CMA teachers guard their jows like Pharoah's Gold, but you may be able to get a generic one made.

Budoka 34
9th August 2002, 18:09
Joshua:

Don't laugh but, in the last three years I've used what they call Dit Jow on my bruises and doing Ki(Chi)healing methods(passing palms etc.) and have had some pretty fast healing times. Bruises generally heal in one to two days, and that's the deep ones.
If I remember/chose(it smells terrible) to use the Dit Jow before training I usually don't bruise.
The stuff I use is made by one of my instructors who also studies Chinese medicine.
He has also suggested several available chinese linaments (I'll see if I can find the names).
If you have access to an Asian market try there, if not try the web.
I would be the first to say it sounds crazy but, it has really worked for me. So much so that I've taken up Qi-gong.

Good luck,

:smilejapa

stencil
9th August 2002, 18:10
No laughing at all from me. Sounds like a good option. I definitely have access to many asian markets, and will try to find some jow. Thanks!

Steven Malanosk
9th August 2002, 22:03
As a ShoreiKan stylist, you are sure to be taught the Kotekitai "arm pounding routines." This of course will lead to you becoming the bruiser, instead of the bruisee. It just takes time.

Yes, there are many fine shops in Chinatown there in NYC to get Jow.

The bottled stuff, is usually just that = bruise liniment.

You may want to look into buying the herbs and making it yourself. The various recepies make for different kinds of jow.

Also, your sensei, will show you some Hojo Undo such as various methods of rolling the ChiIshi etc. on the arms.

Incidentally, bruises dont go away if you keep whacking on them before they disperse.

Happy training.

Goju-Ryu
9th August 2002, 22:08
Since it hasn't passed more than 48h try to put during 20 minutes +/-, one minute of ice and one minute of hot water and salt (hot as you can handle)! It Should help...

Of course I also come with bruises in my harms and legs...

Steven I practice Goju-Ryu Karate and we also make kotekitai, but remember that there's always someone stronger than you! So it won't be that easy to become the bruiser... ;)

Steven Malanosk
9th August 2002, 22:19
Hence the JU of our GoJu.

Which brings us to the other point..............

Too many contusions?

Soft block silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little tai sabaki wouldnt hurt either.

Especially when dealing with these stronger than you guys that I keep hearing about.

Never met one.................:laugh:

Except of course for my teacher Peter Urban, and my older brother Kow Loon "Kayo" Ong. But they dont count............they aint human.

Goju-Ryu
9th August 2002, 22:57
Steven I don't remember making taisabaki's during kotekitae! Of course you can emphazise in round techniques when you're defending an attack to avoid that direct impact that cause the bruises...

We in goju-ryu use the "deflection" more than the "reflexion", that's certain! But during kotekitae that's not the point... Kotekitae is to strengthen not to train technique!

Just my 2 cents...

Steven Malanosk
10th August 2002, 01:13
I was reffering to the initial question of getting bruised.

I later mentioned kotekitai, but the final statement of my last posting was not about the kotekitai.

stencil
11th August 2002, 16:08
Thanks for all the great responses, guys. The bruise it pretty much gone now, but I'm still going to go down to Chinatown for some jow.

As a ShoreiKan stylist, you are sure to be taught the Kotekitai "arm pounding routines." This of course will lead to you becoming the bruiser, instead of the bruisee. It just takes time.

Yes, we do Kotekitai. Kind of freaked me out the first time we did it about a year ago when I was a real newbie. I definitely get bruises a LOT less than I used to. I think that this black belt was just turning it up a notch since I've been doing well lately - bringing me back to reality, if you will. It worked - I'm ready to get back in there and become the bruiser!

arnie
18th August 2002, 09:04
hi

Sorry to repeat myself, I've posted this same question on another thread before (no answer yet), but now my quriosity grew even more, what exactly does that word (kotekitae/kotekitai) mean?

A detailed answer would be much appreciated!

Ari Lappinen

Steven Malanosk
18th August 2002, 12:44
Hello Mr. Lappinen,

It is simply the method of conditioning which develops the forearms as well as coordination of movement in blocking movement scenario.

Arm pounding.

arnie
19th August 2002, 13:26
Thank you, Mr Malanosk!

That made me a little bit wiser, but there's room for more :-)

Is it done with partner?

Do you use equipment?

If done with partner; does one "attack" and the other defend, or do both do the same movements simultaneously?

Thank's again,

Ari

Steven Malanosk
19th August 2002, 13:47
A standard example is:

Two partners face off and execute middle and low blocks facing each other and pivoting around each other in set pattern, making contact with each others forearms.

There are others.

Goju-Ryu
19th August 2002, 23:15
Usually it's practiced along with a partner, but you can practice it "alone" hitting trees or posts or walls! I've already done it...:D

Steven Malanosk
20th August 2002, 02:15
3 words:

MOOK YAN JONG

A shaolin staple...............the WOODEN MAN DUMMY.

As made popular by our cousin Ving Tsun "Wing Chun."

108 mook yan jong.

Interesting number, that 108.

arnie
20th August 2002, 13:45
Thank you, Steven Malanosk and Goju-Ryu!

The picture is getting clearer, guess I know what you're talking about now.
BTW I've done it too, only I hadn't heard the name for it...
...but now I have :-)

Much obligued!

Ari Lappinen

Goju-Ryu
21st August 2002, 01:19
Much kata names are chinese numbers that mean certain buddhist concepts. For example, Suparinpei(Goju-Ryu system kata) (the <b>number 108</b> in chinese, the interesting number ;) )has a specific meaning in Buddhism. It's believed that man has 108 "bad passions" and so at the buddhist temples on 31st december precisely in the middle of the day a bell is rung 108 times to "send away" these spirits . The number 108 in Suparinpei is calculated by 36 x 3. 36 symbolically is calculated by 6 x 6. The first 6 means the eye, the ear ,the nose, the tongue, the body and the spirit. The second 6 means color, voice, taste, smell, feeling (with skin) and justice. The number 3 means past, present and future.

Steven Malanosk
21st August 2002, 02:59
Bingo!

The numerology of the Naha Te, ie, 3, 13, 36, etc. are the keys to these Chakras.

I dont practice Buddhism, but knowledge of the original premise, eliminates guessing.