PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu on Okinawa

Barry Southam
11th August 2002, 23:43
Friends,

I study and teach Judo as a martial art and have an interest in traditional Jujutsu..I've read and heard about several different systems of Karate in Okinawa but not Jujutsu...
Would anyone know what systems of Jujutsu are taught on Okinawa that stand alone and aren't part of any Karate system ?
Systems that have been developed and are headquarterd in Okinawa or Jujutsu systems that are based on mainland Japan but taught in Okinawa ? Any knowledge of Jujutsu organizations and addresses in Okinawa ?

Barry E. Southam

Tatsu
12th August 2002, 10:26
Jujutsu specifically? No, but Yoshimasa Matsuda's Myobukan Shorin ryu teaches a lot of Judo, Okinawan Sumo, and even boxing techs. They utilize the traditional Shorin Kata (Pinans-Gojushiho) plus 3 new grappling forms called Myobuken, which emphasizes throwing, controlling, locking and choking techs, Seiru which teaches kuzushi ("stealing balance") and Fujite which emphasizes more advanced throwing, locking and choking techs. The Myobukan dojo is located in Naha (last I remember).

Matsuda Shinshii is an unknown quantity in the west, but highly respected on Okinawa. He was a member of the All Okinawa Judo team which defeated Japan in 1960. He is very adept at ne-waza and ashi-waza. Good luck in your search, and I hope this helps...

kusanku
12th August 2002, 15:13
Eizo Shimabuku's style of Shorin ryu, Shobayashi or Chubu Shorin ryu, teaches with it a system of Jiujitsu called Eizan-Ryu, which Shimabuku adapted from one he learend from a Japanese master, name unknown to me.

Motobu Ryu contains perhaps the jigen ry jujitsu system as part of its teachings.

Other styles teach some parts of jiujitsu or aikijitsu -like arts, within the context of kata applications, origin either Japan, Chinese chin na, or native Okinawan tegumi wrestling.

Is or are there an Okinawan style of Jiujitsu as such?I don't know, but probably not, much Okinawan grappling is subsumed within tegumi or Okinawan sumo.

Origin of which is, legendarily, the Japanese warrior Tametomo.

Having said which, any system of classical or modern jiujitsu is very useful as an adjunct to Okinawan or other karatye or striking styles.Jiujitsu is itself, a very useful collection of principles and techniques to know.

One of the finest and most effective and complete systems of Jiujitsu , and most widely available worldwide from many good teachers, is the system devised in the late eighteen hundreds by one Dr. Jigoro Kano, oroiginally called Kano Jiujitsu, now known as Judo.

Many are unaware that the complete Kodokan Judo system includes many two and one one person kata, striking, kicking, parrying, and defenses against same plus weapons, in addition to throwing, holding, locking etc.

It may be useful here to point out that a number of Okinawan tenth dans in karate, also have dan rank in Judo, Shoshin Nagamine was one such.I will note that his style of Shorin ryu's footwork and stances are highly compatible with either judo or Aikido technique.With no change.

Other Okinawan masters had rank in sumo and in various systems of Jiujitsu, including Sokon Matsumura, founder of the Shorin ryu.I believe some high ranking Goju people such as Eiichi Miyazato wwere or are very high in Okinawan Judo circles as well.My first judo teacher was apprently under Miyazato in Judo, on Okinawa.

Most of your Shotokan big guns also had or have, in Japan, Judo
experience, at least from high school.

I think that overseas, at the highest levels, lots of karate people have grtappling training as well, this is something we are getting to in the West as well.

In the Sixties and Seventies, many of the first karateka also started in judo or jiujitsu.This may be why emphasis on grapling bunkai of kata wasn't a big deal then, we were all judoka anyway.

With regards,