PDA

View Full Version : Another Kage Ryu?

Yamantaka
14th August 2002, 13:49
Dear friends (specially those residing in Japan),

I was contacted by a fellow who pretends to be the official representative, in Brazil, of a japanese koryu called KAGE RYU. Both he and our friend, Hyakutake Colin, agree that this school in Brazil is not the Kage Ryu, of which Colin San is a Menkyo Kaiden.
Does anyone knows anything about this other KAGE RYU?
Below is a letter he sent me with some information about his school.
Hope you can help me
Yamantaka
###################################################################

"Let me present myself. I'm a doctor with a MA in Oriental Medicine by Kinki University (?), in Nara, Japan. I have 49 years and I practice Budo since I was 15 years old. I did Judo, Aikido, Kendo and Kage Ryu. I'm Yondan in Kendo and Sandan in Kage Ryu. I teach those last two arts : Kendo twice a week and Kage Ryu 4 times a week. In 1992, I founded the Yamabushi Association for the Martial Arts, a non-profit organization involved in martial arts practice and the study of its philosophy. In my association we study Aikido, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Kage Ryu, Karate and Kendo.
In the period I lived in Japan I had the opportunity to met and train in the Kage Ryu :
KAGE - Ideogram of "shadow", may be read IN as in the relationship IN YO or YIN/YANG, in chinese
RYU - ideogram of NAGARE, meaning school or tradition. So, Kage Ryu means "The School of the Shadow".
It was founded more than 500 years ago, during the Muromachi Period. As every other Koryu, it has in its curriculum many combat arts, armed and unarmed. I was privileged to train under the direct supervision of the 13th Grand Master (SOKE)of the school (N.T.In Nara or in Osaka), YOSHIOKA ZINJIRO and was graded nidan, receiving a document indicating me as official representative in Brazil of that school. I train in the Kage Ryu for more than 17 years (22 years in Kendo). Last july I went back to Japan to perfect my technique and to learn new techniques. Master Yoshioka is now 79 years old but still teaches. In Brazil, I teach the JYU KEN PO, the unarmed combat forms, which includes atemi waza, disarming techniques and throws; BATTO JUTSU; KEN PO (Ken Jutsu) and JO JUTSU.
KORYU BUJUTSU is not for the masses but to the few which really understand what they are doing. But to do this "refining" process, we must do some marketing of the art.
I hope I have answered some of your questions.
GRAHAM CURRIE"
####################################################################
This post has been sent also to the BAFFLING BUDO forum.
Any information will be welcome.
Best

Yamantaka
16th August 2002, 12:33
Hi!

I just got further data on the "other" Kage Ryu :

- Current Head-Master - Yoshioka Zinjiro (13 soke)/ Probable successor - Nakamura sensei
- Main dojo - Every Sunday, all day, from 09.00 A.M. to 05.00 P.M. in the Sumiyoshi Taishya Temple at Osaka. To go there, take the Namba Nankai Sen (Nankai line from Namba Station(Plataform 7) and get out at the Simiyoshi Taishya. It takes about 20 minutes from Namba.
I'm really curious about this possible Koryu. Anyone living in Japan can shed some light on this?
Best

carl mcclafferty
16th August 2002, 13:29
You might drop my son "Scott" a line at kumoito@hotmail.com he's lived and trained in the Sakai/Osaka area for 20 years. He'll either know or check up on it for you.

Carl McClafferty

Yamantaka
16th August 2002, 19:12
Originally posted by carl mcclafferty
You might drop my son "Scott" a line at kumoito@hotmail.com he's lived and trained in the Sakai/Osaka area for 20 years. He'll either know or check up on it for you.
Carl McClafferty

YAMANTAKA : Dear Carl San,
Thank you very much for your son's contact. I'll see if he can help me.
Best
Ubaldo

Yamantaka
18th August 2002, 14:55
So, how many Kage Ryu are there in Japan?
I know just the one our friend, Hyakutake Colin belongs to. Are there really any others?
Hoping for some answers