PDA

View Full Version : Sai jutsu article

Kushanku
16th August 2002, 11:23
Hi,

www.karate.org.yu (sai jutsu article)

Please take a look and give me your commnets.

Regards,

Stanic Milos
Tsunami dojo

kusanku
18th August 2002, 08:54
Originally posted by Kushanku
Hi,

www.karate.org.yu (sai jutsu article)

Please take a look and give me your commnets.

Regards,

Stanic Milos
Tsunami dojo

Well Hello there.Netsig's a bit close, don'tcha think?:D Sounds like you're a Shorin guy , too.

Oh, well, long as we always sign,. shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy.

Kushanku
18th August 2002, 10:20
Hi,

:)

Sorry, I did not know that kusanku already exists. I will try to change my name.

Stanic Milos aka Shorin

PingAnTu
18th August 2002, 16:39
Excellent article and excellent site!

Paul Adamson,
Yamanni-Chinen Ryu

kenshorin
27th August 2002, 17:08
Originally posted by Kushanku
Hi,

Sorry, I did not know that kusanku already exists. I will try to change my name.

Stanic Milos aka Shorin

Bah. I think he's just messing with you. You don't need to change your name...

The one thing that will get you in trouble is cross-posting though. You put this topic in the Ryukyu Kobudo forum already; admins don't like the same topic being posted in multiple forums. Just letting ya know.

Ken Allgeier
6th September 2002, 22:01
I would like to point out that there are no classical Sai kata in the Matayoshi Kobudo Tradition.

ken allgeier

6th September 2002, 23:31
Originally posted by Ken Allgeier
I would like to point out that there are no classical Sai kata in the Matayoshi Kobudo Tradition.
ken allgeier

Ken,

Just wanted to ask what the diffrence is between Classical Sai kata and other types of Sai kata. It seems opinions vary on what constitutes "Classical".

thanks,

Robert

Ken Allgeier
9th September 2002, 06:18
Robert,

I would say that a " Classical Sai kata" would constitute in or around this time period, any kata that was created before the Meiji Restoration 1868, to the Ryukyu kingdom being made a Han/domain of Japan,1872.

Classical Sai kata:

Tsuken Shitahaku no Sai

Chatan Yara no Sai

Tawada no Sai

Hamahiga no Sai

ken allgeier

9th September 2002, 06:30
Ken,

Thanks.

We do several Sai kata one is called Kuniyoshi Sai, and the others are Uhugushuku Sai katas.
I am not sure how the Kuniyoshi sai kata is, it came from Bushi Kuniyoshi,the Uhugushuku Sai katas came from the Uhugushuku Family previous occupants of the castle by the same name.

Kushanku
9th September 2002, 15:53
*I would say that a " Classical Sai kata" would constitute in or *around this time period, any kata that was created before the Meiji *Restoration 1868, to the Ryukyu kingdom being made a Han/domain of *Japan,1872.

Hi,

Yes. I agree with your statment. This is general rule. However, I think that Matayoshi tradition is exeption. Even though this ryu-ha is formed after Meiji (1868), we can not say that it is modern day invention. Matayoshi-ryu is very traditional style and all applications are in "jutsu" manner. It is not kobudo, it is still kobu jutsu! Techniques are not modified, they are inherited from Okinawan pechins and Chinese quan fa masters.

All important figures on Okinawa acept Matayoshi tradition and all its katas as classical kobudo!

Regards,

Milos Stanic
www.karate.org.yu

Sochin
6th November 2002, 22:41
Hi,

very nice page.

My only problem with it is on the part about strikes...the picures show catching a bo strike and then stepping in and striking to the bo man's head without the bo man moving or making another stike.

A small point to be sure but in weapons practice that small bit of time is a broken knee. I believe this type of thing comes about when the weapon is practiced in kata only and not in sparring - and becomes especially foolish when translated to modern every day weapons like the knife.

Showing the strike without context is fine too but I fuss those who show weapons strikes with a bad context, :(

Kushanku
6th November 2002, 23:24
I agree with you. However, here are just simple demonstrations of kata bunkai.

regards,

Stanic Milos

CEB
7th November 2002, 02:42
You have a nice web page. It looks like you have put a lot of work and care into what you wish to present. I watched your bunkai video clips on Paisai and Kusankun and I am wondering what style of Shorin Ryu you do. I'm just curious. I'm a Goju guy and I'm not up on all the Shorin style that are out there.

Thanks for your efforts.

Tatsu
7th November 2002, 10:55
Great site man! I liked your kata bunkai. Do you practice Shobayashi? Also, the letters from Dan Smith were enlightening and refreshing. I like what he says and how he says it! Great job brother, God bless you and the best of luck!!!