PDA

View Full Version : Sai jutsu article

Kushanku
16th August 2002, 11:27
Hi,

I wrote an article about sai jutsu.
Please take a look and give me your commnets.

www.karate.org.yu (sai article)

Stanic Milos
Tsunami dojo

TomMarker
27th August 2002, 05:57
Interesting article, and I very much enjoyed the pictures. The Sai have always been an appealing weapon to me.

Is it considered a viable strike to hold the sai in the defensive posture, and perform a tearing strike with the yoku (prong)? It seems like this could be a nasty application, especially in an upward-thrusting motion. Makes me wince thinking about it.

Our martial art does not practice the Sai as an official form, but I have been performing Pinans and Bassai Dai with the sai for a few years. I know that may make a few traditionalists cringe, but I find the sai to be one of those weapons which very easily makes the transition from empty-handed techniques.

Kushanku
27th August 2002, 10:31
Hi,

I am glad you like the article.

About tearing strike with yoku. Yes, you can use sai like this catching opponent weapon or tearing his arm. However, this application is used as suplementary before finishing technique.
There are far more effective techniques which are more simple and therefore more effective.

Stanic Milos
www.karate.org.yu

TomMarker
27th August 2002, 16:33
Stanic,

Thanks for the reply. My vision of using the yoku's outside edge in a tearing manner is that of a close-quarter, fast strike. I agree that it would be more of a "setup" to a more devastating attack.

Don Cunningham
27th August 2002, 16:51
This was one of the best researched and written articles I've ever read on Okinawan kobudo. I've always wondered if the sai had any relationship to either the hachiwari (kabutowari) or jutte from Japan. I doubt this relationship existed, though, and believe the sai was based on a similar Chinese weapon. I've not seen any documentation that clearly establishes or denies any such relationship yet. Thanks for your article.

kenshorin
27th August 2002, 17:06
Excellent article. Thanks for sharing it with us. Most resources on sai (and weapons arts in general) are usually piecework and broken up. This article tied a lot of those concepts together nicely. As Don said, a well researched article! Thanks again!