PDA

View Full Version : Training Question

luar
14th August 2000, 02:20
Hey Gang,

I am a new kenshi and would like to know how should I train in my off-dojo hours? The problem that I am having is that I am trying to cope with learning the basics such as punches and proper hip rotation. I wish there was outside information, such as books or videos, that allow me to work on my basic techniques. At least with karate or judo, there is an abundant information available. I do some occasional traveling for business and would love to able to train in my room.

Thanks

Phong Nguyen-Le
14th August 2000, 03:59
Hi there,

Training outside the dojo does help, espeicially when you first start. If you ask the senior students, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give you some expercises to help out with the turning, footwork etc. that you can practice at home. Having a large mirror also helps alot too... I used to always drop my shoulder when doing a gyaku zuki to the chudan level, and it wasn't until I could 'see' myself doing it as well as 'see' myself doing it correctly that I overcame that bad habit.

Cheers
Phong

Shorinji Kempo Australia Website
http://www.shorinjikempo.org.au

Steve Williams
14th August 2000, 22:10
Hi

There is a video available, it is a joint collaboration by the British and French federations, you can get it from the BSKF http://www.BSKF.org
There will soon be a video by Hombu (headquarters), not out yet but it is hoped to be available before the year end.

The best text for students currently available in English is the Shorinji Kempo Fuko-doko-hon (text book), in addittion to all the basic philosophy to sho-dan, it also contains stances, pressure points, striking areas and tenchi ken (one to six) in written form, amongst other information.

Personally I recommend running through tenchi-ken (all six parts) if you are short of time and space and still want to train a little, if you are unsure of the moves then a senior could possibly help you out.

The text book is available from Hombu, your branch master should be able to obtain it for you.

Where do you train?

Welcome to Shorinji Kempo.

Please note however that you are asked to write your full name with all posts (as a matter of courtesy), it is easiest to attatch it as a signature.

luar
16th August 2000, 05:15
Steve:

I dropped a line to the contact information listed on the website but the question I have is whether this tape is available here in the US, particularly the Manhattan area.

BTW, I was told tonight by my comrades that there is an Japanese book store near the Times Square area that has Shorinji books and videos. A Japanese peer of mine said he will obtain that for me. I do not know if the video you refer me to has it but I will keep everyone posted here for their benefit.

Cheers,

[Edited by luar on 08-15-2000 at 11:17 PM]

Steve Williams
16th August 2000, 19:31
Sorry tape not readily available in US, this is a PAL video not NTSC, so will not play on normal US machine or TV, check your TV and video are PAL compatable before getting the video sent over specially.

We possibly could send one out special order but this would add to cost.

Good luck in your search, try this site http://users.erols.com/ziring/kempo1.htm this is Neil Ziring's site, he is in the US and has lots of Shorinji info, may be able to advise you of the best place to get any books/ videos etc...