PDA

View Full Version : The "Mombasa" Ju-Jitsu Association

JamesF
17th August 2002, 14:41
Hi,

Just received a copy of The "Mombasa" Ju-Jitsu Association Self-Defence Course from a freind.

The association was based at 75 Humberstone Gate, Leicester , the principal was H Ewen (Professor of Ju-Jitsu) and the secretary was S I Smith.

Can't find any dates on the paperwork.

Now to the question... does anyone know anything about this club or this course or H Ewen?

Thanks for your help.

fifthchamber
20th August 2002, 14:30
Hello sir.
I have a 'parallel' question as I was recently speaking to a Yudansha who held rank in both the 'European Jujitsu Union' and one from the Mombasa Jujitsu group you mention..He told me that his Sensei was named Vernon Bell and seemed to have been trained mainly in Ryukyu arts (i.e. Karate-Do) and Judo ('Kodokwan' on the license I saw..) with a possible sideline of Aikido.
I was puzzled as I have not heard of any of the groups other than the Yoseikan Karate-do group and would appreciate any information on either the Mombasa organisation or Vernon Bell Sensei ('Shihan') who was a major part of the 'start' of organised Japanese teaching here in the UK (Okinawan Karate-do, etc..). I believe that he was the first British Blackbelt in Shotokan and was responsible for bringing over Enoeda Sensei, Mochizuki Sensei and others to teach in the UK in the 50's..
Thanks for any more news..
Abayo.

JamesF
21st August 2002, 10:50
Hi,

Might try and email someone like Robert Clarke or Richard Morris and see if they have any info.

47th ronin
21st August 2002, 15:03
I would assume H Ewen to be Harry Ewen. Couldn't find much about him except a book he wrote called Modern Judo and Self Defense, listed as suggested readings in Pat Butler's Self Defense Complete.

JamesF
14th April 2004, 09:03
Hi all

Bringing this back to the top to see if any new board members might know anything....

Thanks

MarkF
14th April 2004, 14:37
Here is a short history of Mombasa Jujitsu:

http://www.mclink.it/personal/MD4281/News/Sensei_kevina.htm

Some names are diffent than those mentioned here, but it does make a claim that the founder was graded to 7-dan by Mochizuki (If my memory serves.

You may have seen it, but I thought I would give you what I found, anyway.

Mark

Katsujinken
14th April 2004, 15:06
Hope this helps:

Dr Vernon Bell died on 27th February 2004 at the age of 81. His Obituary apparently made one of the broadsheets, either the times or the telegraph.

Vernon Bell was one time president and a founder member of the European Ju Jutsu Union. He had originally trained at the Budokwai in London in the early days.

In France he learnt the Yoseikan system founded by Minoru Mochizuki, a student of Jigaro Kano, Morihei Ueshiba, Funakoshi and Masaji Yamaguchi.

What Vernon Bell taught was teaching in the 1980's and 1990's was the British Ju Jutsu Federation Syllabus which was allegedly based on Tenjin Shinyo Ryu & Kito Ryu. The syllabus contains techniques against single and double wrist grab, single and double choke locks, one arm strangle, strikes with empty hand, stick and knife. Counters included spine levers, tripping, sumo neck twists, tiger lock, striking and hip throw techniques

Vernon Bell's organization was via the European Ju Jutsu Union was affiliated to the International Ju Jutsu Federation, Nippon Seibukan, Kyoto, Japan headed by a Masafumi Suzuki.

As for Karate, Vernon Bell founded the British Karate Federation in 1957 and he brought over Sensei Hirokasu Kanazawa 7th Dan in the 1960's. Kanzawas visit resulted in a lot of clubs affiliating to Kanazawa and leaving the Yoseikan.

Best Regards

Chris Norman