PDA

View Full Version : katas and their meanings

Goju-Ryu
21st August 2002, 01:22
Much kata names are chinese numbers that mean certain buddhist concepts. For example, Suparinpei(Goju-Ryu system kata) (the <b>number 108</b> in chinese)has a specific meaning in Buddhism. It's believed that man has 108 "bad passions" and so at the buddhist temples on 31st december precisely in the middle of the day a bell is rung 108 times to "send away" these spirits . The number 108 in Suparinpei is calculated by 36 x 3. 36 symbolically is calculated by 6 x 6. The first 6 means the eye, the ear ,the nose, the tongue, the body and the spirit. The second 6 means color, voice, taste, smell, feeling (with skin) and justice. The number 3 means past, present and future.

21st August 2002, 11:37
This topic has been dealt with more than a few times either within posts or on it's own I can't recall.

Originally posted by Goju-Ryu
Much kata names are chinese numbers that mean certain buddhist concepts. For example, Suparinpei(Goju-Ryu system kata) (the <b>number 108</b> in chinese)has a specific meaning in Buddhism. It's believed that man has 108 "bad passions" and so at the buddhist temples on 31st december precisely in the middle of the day a bell is rung 108 times to "send away" these spirits .

Actually it is on the eve and not the middle of the day of December 31st. I know this because my father in law is a Priest here in Japan and on more than a few occasions I have been "asked" to ring the temple bell while standing up to my ass in snow in the mountains where there temple is located.

arnie
21st August 2002, 14:09
Robert,

maybe the troublesome walk through deep snow delayed you for half a day?

If that doesn't ring a bell, I guess Goju-Ryu didn't take the differance in time-zones into concideration :-)

Ari Lappinen

21st August 2002, 14:14
Originally posted by arnie
Robert,

maybe the troublesome walk through deep snow delayed you for half a day?

Could have been that or all the booze I drank before hand and just got lost on my way to the bell.......:D

Michael Clarke
22nd August 2002, 00:57
Not too sure what this thread is all about?
But I'm learning lots about campanology in Japan:D
Mike Clarke.

22nd August 2002, 01:05
Campanology??

larsen_huw
22nd August 2002, 10:09
It's the study of bell ringing. Not thought of that highly in the UK. Somewhere between train spotters and stamp collectors.

M_I_G
22nd August 2002, 10:19
:D I think people is tired of all that serious threads and want to relax a bit ;) Maybe campanology is a good thread for that LOL