PDA

View Full Version : MA not just for the fit?

N8y5000
21st August 2002, 07:07
It is my personal belief that the strength of an art can be shown if you can still use it effectively even though you're old, or slow, or anti-flexible, or otherwise dispositioned. This will truly prove that the techniques work. I bring this up because my Grandma is a black belt 2nd degree in Tae Kwon Do. And the art works great for her. But what about 20 years down the line? Should you just eventually start carrying a gun?--That IS a joke.

Is anyone else interested in seeing a MA that even the weak and feable can defend themselves with...I know I am.

Do you know of any? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mitch Saret
21st August 2002, 18:33
I don't think there is only one art that fits your bill. I like to think that what I teach doesn't require you be in shape or have phenominal athletic ability. Our style is a kempo-jujutsu, and I work with the limitations of the particular student in order to produce the best results. I still work security part-time and have handled things quite well. I am not old, having just turned 40 in January, but if you have seen other posts of mine you might be aware that 4 years ago I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

I am not wheelchair bound, and god willing will never be. I do, however, have a balance issue which has prevented regualr workouts. I am heavier than I have ever been, and do not have the lung capacity that I used to, to be able to spar for an hour or more.

I still have reactive speed and anticipation because of an understanding of movement. Those can both be taught and will serve someone well.

As an aside, I have styarted Tai Chi as a different workout for me, and seems to be doing what I want, as well as doing some breathing exercises to increase lung capacity. Wish me luck!

N8y5000
23rd August 2002, 22:24
I have tried Aikido very briefly in the past and I intend to go back when I have the time. I like it and I think that Aikido, Kempo, Tai Chi, and maybe some forms of Kung Fu are the ideal MA for if you want maximum output without stressing yourself. A good mixture should do you well I'm sure.

Thanks for the responses.

Joseph Svinth
24th August 2002, 12:29
Part of it is keeping your own ego in check. If you train like you're 18 and indestructible, you'll get hurt. But, if you train like you're middle aged (e.g., as good once as you ever were, but not more than that), then you should be able to train in even very physical styles like MMA without too much trouble.

MarkF
24th August 2002, 18:19
Well, sure, but how many 18 year olds have you seen to be training with a lock on output? That is probably more difficult than when you get there and then train like you're 18, unless you are one of the mounting typicals and follow the course of American dieting by the average teenager, your genetic make-up has a dispostion for it, and you don't know when enough is enough. Adult On-set Diabetes (II) is becoming so common that children under eighteen are beginning to deal with it.

Nevertheless, there isn't or shouldn't be a physical limit set, or a limit which says you just can't but there are young teachers out there who insist on it. How many have started a thread or replied with their disdain for the guy with the big stomach on them? What may be a limitation in some areas opens up others, and that is where one has advantages and needs to use them.

Can't run the mile in under an hour? That's fine, most people in budo can't. Some can and in even better time but suck at just about anything else in the dojo unless it involves running. Watch the judo guy who runs five miles a day. Usually, he's done in by five minutes of randori because what he accomplished out doors means that he can run five miles, it doesn't mean he can do jack in a judogi.

"Use what you know"-Larry Kobayashi

Mark

TyroneTurner
24th August 2002, 18:42
If within one's power to prevent it barring disease or being maimed due to an accident, I don't think that one should allow themselves to feeble. The founder of Judo, Jigoro Kano, started training in the martial arts as a child because he was a weak and feeble child. He stuck with his training and became quite a sturdy fellow.

Take up some form of exercise whether it be Yoga, Tai Ji Quan, Qi Gong, Pilates, calisthenics/bodyweight exercises, or weight training.

Hey, whatever works for you. Try out different things so that you can find your preference. As the great wrestler Karl Gotch said, "Conditioning is the best hold."

I'm a big fan of bodyweight exercises. You can check out some great exercise routines at this site: http://www.trainforstrength.com

All the best,

Tyrone Turner
Queens, NY
http://www.tyroneturner.com