PDA

View Full Version : Qigong

Budoka 34
22nd August 2002, 13:38
I have recently become a Da Dao Chan Gong (Great Way Zen Chi-Gong) instructor. This was my first experience with nonmartial chi(KI) cultivation and healing arts. It got me wondering about Qigong effects on Okinawan and Japanese martial and healing arts and culture.
I know about Sanchin and other body hardening techniques but what about the more esoteric healing arts like that of Danzen ryu.
Anyone?

:smilejapa

Laotse
22nd August 2002, 14:50
As part of the Healing Tao system, I practice Iron Shirt Qigong, which conditions the body against blows. It does not harden the body, though, as the name implies; it just makes it more able to withstand blows and other health threats. The concepts behind it are based on the idea that the body is stronger when soft, not hard: a piece of iron can break, but a soft pillow can not.

Budoka 34
23rd August 2002, 11:10
Dale:
The gentleman who introduced me to Qigong does a form of Iron Shirt Qigong. He trains with Yang Dwing Ming of the YMAA. I have learned some interesting things from him.
Because he originally trained in Shori Ryu you can really see the Chinese influence in the Okinawan arts. He is researching the kyushu jitsu/dim mak connection now.
As they say, "If you can't heal, you only know half an art".

Laotse
23rd August 2002, 14:14
Ah, yes, I have trained a little with Dr. Yang, and a lot with one of his senior students. Dr. Yang in particular is very knowledgeable, not just about martial arts, but qigong. In fact, I think it may have been he who introduced me to qigong, but that was more than a decade ago and fairly brief, so I am not certain.

Budoka 34
23rd August 2002, 17:52
Dale:
My friend(Sensei Price) from S.C. trains with him at least once a month. He gets better every time I see him. Dr. Ming has a seminar in Florida comming up I think. I really want to train (Chin-na and Qigong) with him at least once.
Are you familiar with the Da Dao Chan? It's a nonmartial style, but I learned alot about Chi(KI). G.M. Foo(the lineage holder) was amazing. I believe he also studied Shaolin Gung-fu. I watched him and his senior student working push hands. It was Awsome! :D
The healing techniques they teach are extremely effective. I have worked on about a dozen people so far with great results.:D
Got to continue to learn and grow.:D

Laotse
23rd August 2002, 22:44
Never heard of Da Dao Chan or Mr. Foo. Where is he/it based? You say he is a lineage holder, so this means others before him. Do you know how I can find out more about the system?

Thanks for the info.

Budoka 34
26th August 2002, 11:26
Dale:
try www.DaDaoChan.com
As I said earlier, this is the first nonmartial form I have practiced, I'll be interested in your opinion.

Laotse
26th August 2002, 16:02
It is hard to judge a qigong system from a website, but I generally -- not entirely -- like what I see. I would certainly attend one of his seminars to try it for myself, if a location was convenient for me. Here are my very few comments, based on the website:

1) His description of his training and lineage appears quite convincing, although I am not familiar with his teachers.
2) A photo of him doing "Snake Creeps Down", the tai chi posture, looks bad, because his knee extends way past his toes. That's an invitation for knee trouble.
3) Some of his claims for what qigong can accomplish, which go into the realm of the paranormal, would be scoffed at by a lot of people, but they are in line with what I have run across in other systems. It is rare, though, for someone to openly make those claims to the world, to people without some training and background first.
4) I am impressed that his beginner training, including beginner instructors, is FREE. Very unusual.

I would definitely like to try it sometime. I will bookmark this URL for future reference.

Thanks for telling me about it!

Budoka 34
27th August 2002, 11:09
Dale:
To be honest, I have always been very skeptical about those claiming some supernatural power to move chi for healing or otherwise. I can't really explain how this stuff works. G.M. Woo goes into the mataphysical foundation of the Da Dao Chan during the seminars. I watched and followed and tried to keep an open mind. :D

I have done about a dozen mantra assisted healings with very good results. It does seem to work. So I'll continue to practice and cultivate and someday maybe I'll achieve enlightenment!:cool: