PDA

View Full Version : Okay newest strange question Kusari Katabira

josephcswartz
23rd August 2002, 20:56
Konnichi wa,

Im looking for a new set of kusari katabira (basically chainmail sewn to fabric like a coat) or similar ninja yoroi items. I've come across two sets of ninja yoroi both were in poor condition.

Now Im figuring with todays technology and metals, someone has to be able to make what amounts to a a strong, light set of chainmail top sewn to some burgandy or dark color fabric. Mainly this kind of vest would be designed against knife attacks, and hsould be concealable worn over t-shirt but under a sweater and under 5 pounds. (im not looking at frag armor or modern day body armor for several reasons)

Also Im think something along the lines of a pair of Kote but not samurai kote, maybe just stand-alone (kind of kusari kote) just chainmail sewn to fabric to cover the foremarm. Of course if the chainmail is "Between" two layers of fabric that would be sneaky. ;)

So if anyone makes or knows of someone who makes this type of material please contact me. Im not really looking for antique stuff as it is just to expensive and condition must be poor because of age.

Arigato Gozaimasu,
Joseph Swartz

Ron Rompen
25th August 2002, 23:18
Probably the easiest way to get exactly what you are looking for is to hook up with the nearest bunch of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).

There are a number of EXCELLENT c'mailers (chain mail knitters) there who will either make you what you want, or teach you how to do it yourself.

I've made a c'mail shirt starting from scratch and following a pattern, and it only took me about 40 hours.

You can find all kinds of SCA links on Google or Yahoo search.